Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Dread, Dread, Dread.

You have to learn to at least feel a little silly after you jump to wrong conclusions instead of this air of innocence you pulled on me as well (Remember "There's 16.431 posts here, I only read 16.430. How could I know" bullshit? We even hugged. Have you forgotten already? ) . Because as it seems, you feel you are not to blame here, even are surprised anyone would think so, and don't feel a bit silly. So I'm afraid it'll happen again. And then you'll have to do this whole routine again.

And we woudln't want that now would we?
Ziggy Ziggy Ziggy.

OG has spent years defending software/music/movie pirates. Encouraging people to disable DRM was one of his main hobbies at the Atari forums. It's not unreasonable to assume he's pirated software/music/movies at some point.

But I wasn't judging him on the issue at all.

I was pointing out that OG feels many copyright laws are stupidly implemented in the digital age. He feels they are so stupid we shouldn't judge people for ignoring them. So, I was expressing surprise that he would turn around and support a government's ham-fisted attempts to create unrealistic and stupid laws for privacy in the digital age.

Can you at least appreciate the point I was trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
Two things:

1) Google are constantly changing and refining their algorithm, you can't really use what they wrote in their original paper to determine current behavior. The recent Panda update in particular takes into account user behavior to try and determine if a site is shit/not relevant - if Google sends user to a site, and then they immediately come back to Google, then that site gets marked down.
2) PageRank was only ever one part of the google algorithm, one of many signals they take into account, and not an especially relevant one.
You are correct, that has been my point all along and what I've been trying to convey to Illusions. Google has hundreds of variables to a constantly-changing algorithm. I was just simplifying things to make this clear to Illusions. He was incorrectly arguing that a Facebook page will always be the highest-ranked link for a search simply because Facebook is a "popular" site.

You and I are both saying that's not true.