Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An institutional revolution in North Carolina

Early on I had a lot of time and respect for Scott Walker, but this is despicable, inexcusable and should be unconstitutional. Changing the rules after the final whistle is ridiculous and this isn't the 18th century. I'm glad that the outgoing UK Parliament is dissolved completely before the election and not months after it.

Anyone who tries to make an argument for this out of principle is a no good hypocrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Anyone who tries to make an argument for this out of principle is a no good hypocrite.
    Thats your average US conservative. When their position fails they don't change their platform, they change democracy.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I was wondering when WI or MI would be mentioned....it's a disturbing pattern and abuse of power from Republicans. Talk about hypocrisy.

As for candidates changing party affiliation close to elections (in an under-handed way to change votes): the same has been said about voters who change their party affiliation just to vote in closed primaries (in an under-handed way to elect a weak candidate from the opposing party). It's just more evidence that our election processes are broken -- because they're dominated by just two very powerful political parties -- and reform is desperately needed.

Rand, I tried to explain the US birth certificate quandary in another thread. You should also know that not all employment requires proof of identity (or a gov't issued ID). It depends on the state, their laws, and the job category. Temporary and/or seasonal workers are often exempted with loopholes that are easy to exploit. And having a SSN isn't mandatory, either.

Thats your average US conservative. When their position fails they don't change their platform, they change democracy.
    In fairness, it's not just them but their efforts do seem rather more egregious. Probably partly a matter of their having more states under their control where they can implement such measures.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

In MI there were two very popular ballot measures that would have passed - increased minimum wage and mandatory paid sick leave - had we been allowed to vote on them. The legislature passed them as-is before the election, in order to keep them off the ballot. Then in the last month they passed revisions to the bills, nerfing the minimum wage hike so that it phases into effect out to 2030, in line with the expected inflation rate, so that there is never an actual wage increase. They reduced the hours accrued/ hours worked for paid sick time to something stupidly small too, though I don't know the rate off the top of my head. Yay democracy!
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Well, this is a little off-brand innit

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/u...ter-fraud.html
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...losures-voting

A Guardian analysis based on that report confirms what many activists have suspected: the places where the black and Latinx population is growing by the largest numbers have experienced the vast majority of the state’s poll site closures.

The analysis finds that the 50 counties that gained the most Black and Latinx residents between 2012 and 2018 closed 542 polling sites, compared to just 34 closures in the 50 counties that have gained the fewest black and Latinx residents. This is despite the fact that the population in the former group of counties has risen by 2.5 million people, whereas in the latter category the total population has fallen by over 13,000.
    How... Dreadful

No interest in democracy.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's a disgrace.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Embarrassing.

International observers express concern as reports emerge of voters fighting for 7 HOURS to cast their ballots in North American banana-republic struggling to pull off democratic elections.

Voter suppression in Republican-controlled state legislatures, gee what a surprise

You don't see the difference between a glitchy system and a system intentionally designed to keep minorities from voting?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You don't see the difference between a glitchy system and a system intentionally designed to keep minorities from voting?
    If Texas wanted to suppress voting they would do away with early voting. If you throw stones at individual conservative places having difficulty don't be surprised when I bring up liberal enclaves fucking up too.

Once again, it's not fucking up. It's intentionally closing polling stations overwhelming in fast growing non-white areas.

International observers increasingly alarmed by disconcerting anti-democratic developments in North American banana republic, as the ruling party and its judges exploit fraught situation caused by civil institutions creaking under the extraordinary burden of the unfolding pandemic. Growing expert consensus that this is now a failed state. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/u...sin-virus.html

Why's a Wisconsin thing in a North Carolina thread?

Or is this just a generic "American elections are a disgrace" megathread now.

Yes; I didn't want to start a separate thread about every single step the US took towards failed state status, and also I couldn't remember if there was a specific "Wisconsin is a ridiculously corrupt shithole" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why's a Wisconsin thing in a North Carolina thread?

Or is this just a generic "American elections are a disgrace" megathread now.
    They're basically the same.

go go USA #1!

Vote in person, or die trying.

Last edited by GGT; 04-08-2020 at 12:07 AM.

They cheated and they still lost. The modern GOP.

Cheated? Yes because preventing a change to the rules of the game a few days prior to an election is cheating.

Good to see that you're part of the cult of death, too.

One polling place for 600,000 people:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/elect...5yu-story.html

Totally functional democracy

Despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Are you referring to the article or to the tweet in the blog post?

The story about voter suppression in Kentucky in this primary. The GOP had nothing to do with what happened. And what happened was that most people voted by mail and there weren't enough people to staff polling stations.