Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The original constitution that only recognized and codified the rights of white male property owners?
    The brilliance of the document is that it can be altered via the amendment process. But the idea that we should select judges to do an end run around that amendment process to deny things like people's freedom of speech is not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The brilliance of the document is that it can be altered via the amendment process. But the idea that we should select judges to do an end run around that amendment process to deny things like people's freedom of speech is not cool.

You can't call the constitution a "brilliant" document because it's fluid and allows for amendments, and call for "originalism" at the same time.

Sure you can. The president shouldn't be taken to court, because he can be impeached. He shouldn't be impeached, because he can be taken to court.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

shush, Lewk is tasked with explaining his ideas that don't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    You can't call the constitution a "brilliant" document because it's fluid and allows for amendments, and call for "originalism" at the same time.
    Original as amended is perfectly reasonable. Amendments trump what they amended by definition and were permitted in the original documnt.

I don't like the system and am glad we don't have it, but I can understand its logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So judging from the latest WH briefing, conservatism in the DPRUS is now dead, and I have to ask anyone who still thinks of themselves as an American conservative to please review the ToS.

Absolutism made a return ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    push good judges through.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    This is a rather dire view of things to come:

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-coming-collapse/
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

It is deaf, dumb and blind to the very real economic suffering that plagues over half the country. It will not fight to pay workers a living wage. It will not defy the pharmaceutical and insurance industries to provide Medicare for all. It will not curb the voracious appetite of the military that is disemboweling the country and promoting the prosecution of futile and costly foreign wars. It will not restore our lost civil liberties, including the right to privacy, freedom from government surveillance, and due process. It will not get corporate and dark money out of politics. It will not demilitarize our police and reform a prison system that has 25 percent of the world’s prisoners although the United States has only 5 percent of the world’s population.
    That's the Democrats alright.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Clearly an expert in American politics.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Absolutism made a return ?
    We now go live to an interview with American conservatism:

Mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Clearly an expert in American politics.
    I liked how it was practically a template piece for a Marxist. The military-industrial complex out to push a country into foreign adventurism, the coming authoritarian and autocratic crackdown on labor unions while simultaneously saying unions are one of the community measures which will be protect it from the approaching anarchy, the insistence that only worker wages and their spending is "the real economy". . .

The writer may be right about the potential for collapse and is certainly correct about a number of signs being congruent with a collapsing society (also congruent with troubled but non-collapsing societies, of course). But they could not resist adding the required generic Marxist talking points which just kills any chance to take him seriously.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I liked how it was practically a template piece for a Marxist. The military-industrial complex out to push a country into foreign adventurism, the coming authoritarian and autocratic crackdown on labor unions while simultaneously saying unions are one of the community measures which will be protect it from the approaching anarchy, the insistence that only worker wages and their spending is "the real economy". . .

The writer may be right about the potential for collapse and is certainly correct about a number of signs being congruent with a collapsing society (also congruent with troubled but non-collapsing societies, of course). But they could not resist adding the required generic Marxist talking points which just kills any chance to take him seriously.
    Yeah, the part about the military jumped out at me immediately. Maybe journalists should stick to reporting the news rather than coming up with half-baked analysis (unless they do their research, which this guy clearly did not).

Banana republic:

Wild West "conservatism". Ride it like a cowboy! Yee haw!

This is the type of dictator lewk wants. Nothing else matters as long as he gets to own the libs with unqualified judges.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...install-judges
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ncies-n1184886

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Yeah, the part about the military jumped out at me immediately. Maybe journalists should stick to reporting the news rather than coming up with half-baked analysis (unless they do their research, which this guy clearly did not).
    Pray tell, do the CEOs keep this country running or is it ... the worker? It's almost funny if it weren't so tragic how the same underpaid people are now the ones keeping the show running. But hey, it's a-okay if your EMTs don't have health insurance themselves.

And that you guys begin a new war at the drop of a hat is nothing new either.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Pray tell, do the CEOs keep this country running or is it ... the worker? It's almost funny if it weren't so tragic how the same underpaid people are now the ones keeping the show running. But hey, it's a-okay if your EMTs don't have health insurance themselves.

Okay but mate come on that was a really dodgy rant. It was neither well-written nor well-reasoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Okay but mate come on that was a really dodgy rant. It was neither well-written nor well-reasoned.
    It actually fares rather well in the face of other developments in the US: Increasing inequalities and their insistence on unfettered capitalism, aka competition. There's a number of studies on the latter and the resulting lack of empathy (aka: "Fuck you, I got mine!") Increased tribalism and antagonism do not bode well for the coherence of a nation.

Trump was not elected in a vacuum. He's a symptom.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post

The obvious answer is both. The worker has no job without the CEO. And none of this is relevant to the half-baked analysis which is based on numerous seriously flawed assumptions.

The obvious answer is both. The worker has no job without the CEO.
    *11th century Loki*

You see, the serf has no land to work without his lord, so both are necessary.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    *11th century Loki*

You see, the serf has no land to work without his lord, so both are necessary.
    Go see how many burgers you can flip without the burger-flipping equipment or a salary.

Gen Z is marked by its entrepreneurial attitude that it's honed from their parents. I mean shit, we (and them) would rather work out of the back of a trailer slinging burgers than be under a CEO.

Been doing a lot of generational work these past few weeks while home.

Go see how many burgers you can flip without the burger-flipping equipment or a salary.
    *11th century Loki*

Go see how much wheat you can harvest with no land to plant it in.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Gen Z is marked by its entrepreneurial attitude that it's honed from their parents. I mean shit, we (and them) would rather work out of the back of a trailer slinging burgers than be under a CEO.

Been doing a lot of generational work these past few weeks while home.
    Well, I work in a field that requires tens of millions of dollars of investment just to get a product to market. Literally this week I received/purchased equipment and services worth northwards of $300k. So it's kinda hard to do that out of your garage.

The reality is that technological innovation has allowed certain enterprises to scale with demand, allowing for minimal capital requirements (though of course they do need a whole lot of third part corporate behemoths to provide the capacity). But many jobs still require a whole lot of capital to become viable businesses, and that doesn't grow on trees.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

There's also simply not enough demand for everyone to be an entrepreneur. And places where nearly everyone works for themselves (think slums) aren't exactly economic paradises.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    But many jobs still require a whole lot of capital to become viable businesses, and that doesn't grow on trees.
    *nodding*

Yes, capital is summoned fully formed from the earth by the intrepid genius of plucky investors.
    Last edited by Steely Glint; 04-17-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

My point is that someone (actually a consortium of angel investors, corporate VC arms, and VCs) needed to put up the money. I can't just hang out my own shingle unless I'm already quite wealthy.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Beyond creepy. These people are absolutely fucking gone in the head.