Page 182 of 189 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 5648

Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Local events.
    So, last Friday night, there were reports of a fire in a city in Latvia. As per initial reports, a small fire in a housing block, two people hurt severely enough to be hospitalized.
    Soon, more information emerged - the less severely hurt of the involved individuals claimed that the fire was a result of a deliberate attack. Allegedly, the other person who suffered burns on 85% of his body was targeted due to his sexual orientation. There were additional reports of previous threats of harm if the victim wouldn't leave the city; reportedly the threats stem from a personal work-related conflict with an unnamed person, and homophobic speech was involved (documented, since it was sent in SMS). The local police had investigated the claims of previous threats, and reportedly found no reason to charge anyone. It's a speculation, but it might have been due to the fact that the sexual orientation of the individual was "perceived" as homosexual - there no reports that he had been openly gay, and the only reason homophobic slurs were targeted towards him were reportedly due to the fact that he had co-rented a flat with another guy. No idea how much of that is true, at the moment.

Obviously, this was a great deal for LGBT rights organizations, their spokespersons published their views, some small protests emerged due to perceived inactivity of the police department of the involved city. The initial response from that police department was that "while investigation is ongoing, it is considered possible that no crime was committed", which went over about as well as you might imagine. I mean, a guy is in a hospital with 85% bodily burns, and "maybe no crime"? With no additional information, that just calls for a loud "WTF".

Well, some people started blaming churches, conservative politicians and the homophobic environment that they'd created with their public opinions over the years, which is, while in some particular published cases far-fetched, but not exactly unreasonable, overall. Truth be told, Latvia is generally a rather homophobic country, there's no other way to put it. And the police dep't of that city was blamed for trying to cover up the crime - which is not unreasonable, either, due to their previous reputation; I personally know of a case where excessive force was used against an acquaintance of mine (in essence, response to a noise violation in a house party involved much more physical force and writing slurs on bodies of detained people with a permanent marker that the situation warranted), and the very same policemen apparently were later involved in an armed robbery resulting in at least one casualty, so, while the "a few bad apples" defense was obviously used, the damage was done.

So, the "conservatives/traditionalists" were put on the defense in the public discourse. Obviously, their response was generally "wait till all the facts are in" which was greeted with the expected eye-roll from the "other side", which, again, is about what you'd expect in the given situation.

Well, some additional facts did come in. Namely, it appears that the 85%-burn guy was in the process of being tried for 5 counts of arson. The trial is still ongoing, but reportedly, he had admitted his fault in all episodes; the only question remaining is whether NGRI applies. Which, overall, does kinda flip the whole thing on its head.

It's a shitshow overall, but the worst aspect is that, if this is a case of self-immolation, which does seem rather plausible at the moment, it's quite a setback for the LGBT rights movement in this country. And it's not like it's been particularly easy for them so far.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Yeah
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Yes. I'm genuinely shocked.
    Congratulations America

UPS sucks. I am expecting a delivery, but probably won't be home so wanted to change the date or have it delivered to a pickup point. First it says I need to make an account, sure, even if their procedure was a bit annoying to sign up in the first place. Then I can't sign up using a non-US address even though they know my adress in the Netherlands because they are shipping something there. Am now in a chat with their helpdesk for 5+ minutes and they haven't done anything yet.

Edit: FFS the helpdesk can't even do anything for non US shipments apparently. Why is their entire website not functional when they operate around the world? Now they want me to call their US service number, expecting me to pay for intercontinental call because their website is shit.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    UPS has some serious problems. Two years ago I purchased a Prusa 3D printer from Czechnia and it was to be delivered by UPS. Their email stated the estimated date of arrival and also told me that I'd have to personally sign for it. With that in mind, I redirected the package to the nearest UPS service station (about 1 km from my home).
    The package was marked as delivered, I went to pick it up and noticed right away that, while the packaging was the right size, it was suspiciously light. A Prusa printer weighs 20+ kg and I could lift the package effortlessly above my head. With one arm. Opened the package and found ... clothes. From a clothing store in Poland. Luckily, I also found an invoice inside the package - turned out that this package was meant for my neighbour living above me!
    So I went to my neighbour and found her quite confused as she had expected clothes and not a 3D printer.
    UPS then tried to tell me that there had been a mixup by the stores - I told them that I do not buy that story because a) it was two different countries, b) two completely different types of stores and c) the tracking number was the same.
    They didn't believe me. I sent them a photo of the two packages side by side. They still tried to waffle about how their system did not just fuck up in a major way.

Then there was the time where a package was marked as undeliverable because the redirect to the UPS service station changed the name (i.e. my name) to that of the owner of the service station.

And finally the one where I miraculously was able to recover a package despite it being adressed to "#FIRSTNAME# #LASTNAME#" (also a redirect)
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    UPS sucks. I am expecting a delivery, but probably won't be home so wanted to change the date or have it delivered to a pickup point. First it says I need to make an account, sure, even if their procedure was a bit annoying to sign up in the first place. Then I can't sign up using a non-US address even though they know my adress in the Netherlands because they are shipping something there. Am now in a chat with their helpdesk for 5+ minutes and they haven't done anything yet.

Edit: FFS the helpdesk can't even do anything for non US shipments apparently. Why is their entire website not functional when they operate around the world? Now they want me to call their US service number, expecting me to pay for intercontinental call because their website is shit.
    Those mfers caused the death of every single plant we had, one year. I have almost only had trouble when dealing with UPS—even DHL has been better.

For work we have a whatsapp channel which is supposed to be used for urgent business only. Inevitably some collegues find it necessary to (thank God only occasionally) to share 'fun'. This morning, after waking up, I heard my phone ping and checked out what was trying to get my attention. Turned out that one of the medical secretaries had shared a 'joke'. The joke was a picture of something resembling a rainbow flag with the text 'At least they played like a bunch of homos' superimposed over it. The implication was obvious; the 'joke' was that by playing abysmally bad, the national football team of The Netherlands had debased themselves to the level of 'homos'.

I didn't think if was funny. I also didn't feel an apology over 'my hurt feelings' was going to solve the matter. I don't think it's just about my hurt feelings. It's about someone thinking that somehow that 'joke' was funny because it somehow was true.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    For work we have a whatsapp channel which is supposed to be used for urgent business only. Inevitably some collegues find it necessary to (thank God only occasionally) to share 'fun'. This morning, after waking up, I heard my phone ping and checked out what was trying to get my attention. Turned out that one of the medical secretaries had shared a 'joke'. The joke was a picture of something resembling a rainbow flag with the text 'At least they played like a bunch of homos' superimposed over it. The implication was obvious; the 'joke' was that by playing abysmally bad, the national football team of The Netherlands had debased themselves to the level of 'homos'.

I didn't think if was funny. I also didn't feel an apology over 'my hurt feelings' was going to solve the matter. I don't think it's just about my hurt feelings. It's about someone thinking that somehow that 'joke' was funny because it somehow was true.
    That's gross. I don't know what your workplace is like or what your situation is, but that's the kind of thing that wouldn't be wrong to report. Can't teach a grown human basic decency, but you can teach them to stfu. Sorry either way, what a shite start to the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post

Whoa, I'm pretty shocked; that's beyond insensitive, it's just downright offensive. It isn't funny even in a personal context, and definitely not in a professional setting. I know that in principle you don't care what joke some idiot posted, but I can't imagine what some much younger person might feel if they were still insecure about their identity. I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Whoa, I'm pretty shocked; that's beyond insensitive, it's just downright offensive. It isn't funny even in a personal context, and definitely not in a professional setting. I know that in principle you don't care what joke some idiot posted, but I can't imagine what some much younger person might feel if they were still insecure about their identity. I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that.
    Yeah, it's annoying on so many levels. I'm not crying in a corner or anything close to it, but I am very annoyed that I actually have to address this kind of nonsense in this time. It simply shouldn't be necessary. I agree with your statement about younger people who might not feel quite secure enough to stand up to this kind of BS. OTOH I could gladly have done without starting my week this way.

It didn't rule my entire day, but I just had a conversation about the issue with my manager. I told her that I think the least we can expect is that this person will explain herself in the next team conference in 3 days time and that for this to stay a 'team issue' she will have to make clear that she understands this isn't going away with a mere apology for my hurt feelings and that it was merely a matter of a joke went wrong. I don't have any desire to destroy anyone's life over a silly hold over from back when she didn't get out of her system properly, but I need to hear her say that she understands every little bit of it was beyond the Pale.
    Congratulations America

I've slept 2 out of 5 nights this hell-week, and, after coming home from the last night shift, I helped my wife set up our table for a small neighbourhood yard-sale. Along comes my downstairs neighbour to chat, and, a few minutes into the conversation, exclaims, "WHAT?!?! BUT YOU HAVE NO ACCENT! NONE AT ALL!! YOU EVEN HAVE A HINT OF OUR DIALECT!!!" I mean, he's right—my Swedish is better than his—but it's kinda like stepping up to someone and yelling, "WHAT?!?!?!? BUT YOU'RE HOT!! YOU DON'T SMELL BAD!!!" Like, even if there's no negative intent, RIP that relationship. In this case, I've heard enough overly-loud conversations between him and his mates to know that this guy is indeed one of those casually racist "lemme tell you what's what" dudes that have been shitting on everything good everywhere for the past several decades, but it still came as a surprise—because, even those dudes tend to have a little more tact. Anyway, I think he realized I was annoyed with him without realizing why. Taking some comfort in the knowledge that my vacation doesn't start until the end of the month, so I won't have to put up with him hanging around while my daughter's out playing.

Elsa was a giant nothing burger. That alone is nothing to be annoyed at, but because our politcal news cycle is returning to normal once again WAY WAY to much time was spent building up what this storm could have been capable of. So of course when an actual storm finally forms, people aren't going to give a fuck.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

After all the pandemic isolation, and finally opening up again.....it just clarified that I don't really like people after all. I'd just been tolerating a certain degree of interaction because that's what it meant to live in a 'civilized' society.

I can hardly believe that shoppers are still arguing with clerks about wearing masks. Or that restaurant staff still have to explain limited menus or table arrangements. Or that diners would demand their server take off their mask so they can see their face (tip on the line).

Rude behavior seems to be the norm again. People suck.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-11-2021 at 05:24 AM.

The mainstream Swedish right has transitioned to overtly racist genetic determinism, which has emboldened all sorts of racist brain geniuses to come out of the woodwork to air their takes on the genetics of intelligence and educational attainment. What's bothering me about this is the temptation to conclude that these genetics-obsessed morons are stupid not because of social, cultural, and educational deficiencies... but because they have idiot-genes. I'm just kidding. What's bothering me is that it's now considered acceptable—in polite society—to discuss the challenges faced by immigrants in Sweden in terms of the genetic burden of stupidity. And, yes, that this discussion is being carried on by... idiots.

Is eugenics on the cards yet?
    Hope is the denial of reality

I'm likely dealing with a Perianal Hematoma. Which I didn't know was even a thing until a couple of days ago.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Is eugenics on the cards yet?
    It's being used as an argument for reducing immigration and implementing more xenophobic policies to sort out the immigrants and their Swedish-born children. Just a hop and a skip away at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I'm likely dealing with a Perianal Hematoma. Which I didn't know was even a thing until a couple of days ago.
    Ouch... wish you a swift and uncomplicated recovery

Continuing with the over sharing...

After getting to the size of a grape it finally started to shrink and is now somewhere in size between a pea and a skin tag. Thankfully its no longer giving me 24/7 discomfort. I'll give it another week before I bother the doc about it.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-09-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Continuing with the over sharing...

After getting to the size of a grape it finally started to shrink and is now somewhere in size between a pea and a skin tag. Thankfully its no longer giving me 24/7 discomfort. I'll give it another week before I bother the doc about it.
    Perineal cysts need a doctor's diagnosis and special treatments. Don't try to "tough it out", or treat it yourself, and don't wait until you can't walk before asking for help.

I'm feeling more depressed than usual. The anniversary of 9/11 is approaching, and I feel a sense of disappointment mixed with dread.

The evacuation from Afghanistan has gone horribly wrong; one of the young US marines who was killed was only 20 yrs old, just an infant when the Twin Towers were attacked. His wife was expecting their first child, but he didn't have the chance to become a new father before he died "in the line of duty"....so War refugees could know a better life, in the so-called democracy and freeeedom promised by the US....when we started the whole mess with our nation-building colonialism and military adventurism to begin with.

I'm just so damn sad.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Perineal cysts need a doctor's diagnosis and special treatments. Don't try to "tough it out", or treat it yourself, and don't wait until you can't walk before asking for help.
    Healed up on its own just fine.

Glad it wasn't a pilonidal cyst https://www.google.com/search?client...pilonidal+cyst

and you knew the difference

If you guys want to get more grossed out, I'm finishing my second week of antibiotic induced c-diff. Stool test last week confirmed that's what it is. Been eating lots and lots of pre and probiotic foods. Poop is actually resembling stools again although still quite loose and stinky. Doctor gives me till end of next week to clear this myself or he will insist on, get this, antibiotics to kill off the bad bacteria so the good bacteria can flourish again. It was freaking antibiotics that started this stinky ass mess in the first place.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Your condition is also infectious to others, so be a careful grandpa. Hope you make a full recovery!

Your condition is also infectious to others, so be a careful grandpa. Hope you make a full recovery!
    Yeppers. Thanks, stools are back to 4 and 5 on the Bristol chart without additional antibiotics. Also lots of 1/10 bleach/water for thorough cleanup. Gained some weigh I need to work off though; who'd of thunk probiotics were so delicious?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Just learned a colleague had a cardiac arrest and is in the ICU.

This woman I know is mourning. Her mom died. Her mom had a house but she never put papers in order. So a cousin went to the house and changed locks, stole her goods and her moms. And he called her to threaten with violence if she approached the house. Later he made an aunt to call her to pick the leftovers. I assisted and it was the most sad experience I had. Seeing her cry. She said that iot would have been better if her family had died in an accident. The worst part is that the rest of her family wanted the house. She went to ask for legal advice and since house papers were in a legal limbo, there was nothing that could be done.

The electric bill was on her name and electric consumption doubled, compared to the time she and her mom were there. Her cousin was in jail and he got 10 years in the past. She had to cancel the utility account. Probably he did not like to start paying the bill, and she started to get phishing calls. This man is a disgrace. When people say women have equal rights, that is not true. This case shows threats of physical violence, psychologic violence and even property violence.

He built a house uphill in the backyard but it has a poorly made foundation. And since terrain is very steep, he will lose his house and her moms house one day. He used tires and columns made of barrels filled with stones to hold his house. One of the barrels has some 5 to 10 degrees inclination. The mess that will take place is likely to be so spectacular that I figure out that it will reach international headlines. There are other 2 houses of her family downhill. All of them will be destroyed if his house goes down. I do not know when it will collapse, but it will. Physics shows no way to lift the house to remake a poorly made foundation in the open.

I'm feeling more depressed than usual. The anniversary of 9/11 is approaching, and I feel a sense of disappointment mixed with dread.

The evacuation from Afghanistan has gone horribly wrong; one of the young US marines who was killed was only 20 yrs old, just an infant when the Twin Towers were attacked. His wife was expecting their first child, but he didn't have the chance to become a new father before he died "in the line of duty"....so War refugees could know a better life, in the so-called democracy and freeeedom promised by the US....when we started the whole mess with our nation-building colonialism and military adventurism to begin with.

I'm just so damn sad.
    I am sorry to hear that.

It was not an evacuation. It was more like chicken panic promoted by politicians to humilliate the country and give weapons to a chaotic faction so industrial complex can have more wars to get more money. Your politicians disrespected those who died on 911. It would have been more polite from them to spit on their tombs.
    Last edited by ar81; 10-15-2021 at 11:54 PM.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.