Thread: Any tips on being a good dungeon master or game master?

Default Any tips on being a good dungeon master or game master?

There are good DMs and there are bad ones on tabletop gaming. Do you know about ay hints or tips to be a great DM?
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    There are good DMs and there are bad ones on tabletop gaming. Do you know about ay hints or tips to be a great DM?
    Never let your victims be found.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

A lot depends on your particular table, what you and YOUR players want out of the game. Most tips are ultimately geared toward specific styles and may or may not be a fit.

My best general advice for all tables: Be flexible and remember that tabletop gaming is a collaborative process between everyone at the table and the Game Master is its facilitator, not its boss or head-writer.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Best advice ever. Thank you!
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

What the Fuzz said.

Always strive to just be an adjudicator, it’s not you vs. them. Yer job is to make it exciting, engrossing, and fair.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita