Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justine Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I really don't think this is a valid argument. If a suspect is fleeing and they make a motion that makes it appear to the officer that they are producing a weapon, then they turn suddenly, there may not be a lot of time to make that decision, and there is every incentive is to react as quickly as possible. Additionally, the suspects movements may be obscured leading to further confusion or doubt by the officer. While it is a good idea for officers to exercise restraint, it is also a good idea to recognize that police aren't infallible, that reality is mostly messy and imperfect, and hindsight is 20/20.
    And yet police in every other Western country somehow manage to not kill 1000 people (adjusted for population) each year.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And yet police in every other Western country somehow manage to not kill 1000 people (adjusted for population) each year.
    Is the insinuation here somehow that 1000 people every year are improperly killed by police? You realize that the vast number of police shootings are justifiable, right?

Is the insinuation here somehow that 1000 people every year are improperly killed by police? You realize that the vast number of police shootings are justifiable, right?
    Just saying, but justifiable doesn't mean unavoidable. And with the current balance so heavily in favour of the police, it's not surprising people doubt the police's own investigation's outcome. I'm all in favour of giving police the benefit of the doubt, but that only works if people tryst the police.

One thing that bugs me: police are supposed to be trained and better at assessing threat level, but it appears they are not particularly good at that. If police are routinely feeling they are under threat when they're not, maybe you should look at your threat assessment.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

No, they're not. The police rarely tries to diffuse the situation. In 400 cases a year, the person killed didn't have a gun. If you have multiple police officers confronting a single suspect, you should be able to take them down without killing them. Even when the suspect has a gun, the police should try much harder to get the person to put that gun down. You know, what police in every other Western country manage to do.

I really don't think this is a valid argument. If a suspect is fleeing and they make a motion that makes it appear to the officer that they are producing a weapon, then they turn suddenly, there may not be a lot of time to make that decision, and there is every incentive is to react as quickly as possible. Additionally, the suspects movements may be obscured leading to further confusion or doubt by the officer. While it is a good idea for officers to exercise restraint, it is also a good idea to recognize that police aren't infallible, that reality is mostly messy and imperfect, and hindsight is 20/20.
    Yes, there may be particular circumstances where a snap decision is necessary, but those are exceptions not the rule.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Just saying, but justifiable doesn't mean unavoidable. And with the current balance so heavily in favour of the police, it's not surprising people doubt the police's own investigation's outcome. I'm all in favour of giving police the benefit of the doubt, but that only works if people tryst the police.

One thing that bugs me: police are supposed to be trained and better at assessing threat level, but it appears they are not particularly good at that. If police are routinely feeling they are under threat when they're not, maybe you should look at your threat assessment.
    I don't disagree with anything you posted, particularly, though I will note that while it is easy to point to instances of police misconduct, (I do with some regularity) it's also easy to fall into a trap of believing these anecdotal incidents are more widely representative then they really are. I don't believe most police officers who need to fire their weapon in the line of duty are not doing so indiscriminately, and without cause, and I don't believe there is sufficient evidence to support that claim either.

That being said, I can and do understand why many do have trouble placing their trust in the police, and how that trust can be easily lost.

No, they're not. The police rarely tries to diffuse the situation. In 400 cases a year, the person killed didn't have a gun. If you have multiple police officers confronting a single suspect, you should be able to take them down without killing them. Even when the suspect has a gun, the police should try much harder to get the person to put that gun down. You know, what police in every other Western country manage to do.
    And this assessment is based on what again? If someone comes at a police officer with a knife, is that justifiable? If an unarmed person is grappling with a police officer and they go for their gun, is that justifiable? This is a ridiculous claim to make, and I'd love to see evidence supporting that the majority of police involved shootings are unjustified.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 07-28-2017 at 08:45 PM.

I don't disagree with anything you posted, particularly, though I will note that while it is easy to point to instances of police misconduct, (I do with some regularity) it's also easy to fall into a trap of believing these anecdotal incidents are more widely representative then they really are. I don't believe most police officers who need to fire their weapon in the line of duty are doing so indiscriminately, and without cause, and I don't believe there is sufficient evidence to support that claim either.
    The only statistic I need to know is that American police officers kill 1000 people per year, while comparable countries in Europe kill 1 (excluding terrorists).

The only statistic I need to know is that American police officers kill 1000 people per year, while comparable countries in Europe kill 1 (excluding terrorists).
    And you are a professor at a university?

And you are a professor at a university?
    And you're a libertarian unconcerned with the state killing 1000 people a year, literally the most oppressive thing a government can do.

And you're a libertarian unconcerned with the state killing 1000 people a year, literally the most oppressive thing a government can do.
    Seeing as how I have been both very critical of police and police protocol, as well as concerned with both the number and types of shootings that seems like an inaccurate portrayal of my position.

And it may shock you, but libertarians also recognize the need for the use of force, especially in self-defense.

Seeing as how I have been both very critical of police and police protocol, as well as concerned with both the number and types of shootings that seems like an inaccurate portrayal of my position.

And it may shock you, but libertarians also recognize the need for the use of force, especially in self-defense.
    The problem I have is that how much this might be true
    most police officers who need to fire their weapon in the line of duty are (not) doing so indiscriminately, and without cause,
    the number who are, at least when confronting certain population, are high that the people who need the right to use force in self-defense are the ones being shot by the cops.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    the number who are, at least when confronting certain population, are high that the people who need the right to use force in self-defense are the ones being shot by the cops.
    Provide some analytical evidence for that claim.

There is a disturbing trend in this thread for people to dismiss such things as evidence, and statistics etc and to just go on gut feelings. Its like arguing with climate change deniers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

That's all you need to know?

How many American police officers get killed per year compared to comparable countries in Europe? Deal with that, the rest will follow.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    That's all you need to know?

How many American police officers get killed per year compared to comparable countries in Europe? Deal with that, the rest will follow.
    We went over this before. Your position is stupid and borderline racist.

Holy shit do you know how fast you can get shot? If someone has a gun and you don't shoot and they decide to do it you have dead people. Any sort of non-compliance by someone with a gun needs to be dealt with immediately.

And in several cases you have folks armed with something other than a gun attacking the police, knives for example. I want the police to shoot and kill the crazy knife wielder. That's totally appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Holy shit do you know how fast you can get shot? If someone has a gun and you don't shoot and they decide to do it you have dead people. Any sort of non-compliance by someone with a gun needs to be dealt with immediately.

And in several cases you have folks armed with something other than a gun attacking the police, knives for example. I want the police to shoot and kill the crazy knife wielder. That's totally appropriate.
    This is because you don't believe in the sanctity of life, Lewk.

This is because you don't believe in the sanctity of life, Lewk.
    Do you believe all life is equally valuable?

We went over this before. Your position is stupid and borderline racist.
    Bullshit.

The issue is your cops operate in a stupidly violent nation encouraged by your second amendment. I don't see how believing the second amendment should be repealed is borderline racist.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    That's because they simply are not trained for non-lethal means. The training of US cops is atrocious. From what I remember, it's 6 months at the most. German training takes at least 2 years.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...-t-be-too-nice

Trump addressing an audience of police in NY non-too subtly suggests officers 'rough up' suspects, to cheers and laughter from police audience.

Almost like it's more than a few bad apples or something.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...-t-be-too-nice

Trump addressing an audience of police in NY non-too subtly suggests officers 'rough up' suspects, to cheers and laughter from police audience.

Almost like it's more than a few bad apples or something.
    I was a big fan of that speech.

""They kidnap. They extort. They rape and they rob," Trump said. "They stomp on their victims. They beat them with clubs, they slash them with machetes, and they stab them with knives. They have transformed peaceful parks and beautiful quiet neighborhoods into bloodstained killing fields. They're animals.""

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of Trump's moves but this is a good one. Dehumanizing criminals is an important step in the right direction.

It's ok, we figured you would be.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

""They kidnap. They extort. They rape and they rob," Trump said. "They stomp on their victims. They beat them with clubs, they slash them with machetes, and they stab them with knives. They have transformed peaceful parks and beautiful quiet neighborhoods into bloodstained killing fields. They're animals.""

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of Trump's moves but this is a good one. Dehumanizing criminals is an important step in the right direction.
    *shrug* It's no surprise that you don't understand the importance of professionalism. After all, you're basically a 13th century peasant.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hey now. All of the rest of it are documented offenses but I haven't heard of a single instance of the police slashing innocent people with machetes here in the US.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Didn't take you for a fan of constitutional protections.

They rape
    Only you'd be stupid enough to celebrate beating the accused while holding a fascination for false rape claims.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

And...Lewk derails a potentially interesting conversation again...guys, just ignore his ass.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    a potentially interesting conversation

You should have contributed then?
    I don't see much more that can be added seeing how this thread is just a copy of the BLM thread. You have Lewk being an idiot, Randblade thinking cops are justified in being racist/profiling adrenaline junkie trigger happy freaks because he thinks their job is dangerous and everyone else being varying levels of not so retarded.

Until charges are filed there is nothing new to add.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-29-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Wow, then nevermind...sheesh.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Only you'd be stupid enough to celebrate beating the accused while holding a fascination for false rape claims.
    Rape is a horrible crime and I fully support it being harshly punished. Sadly, very evil and twisted people use the rape accusation as a weapon and so society should be extremely vigilant against it.

Last time I checked Trump didn't say "beat the accused" he sound don't be nice to them, don't hold their head as they get put in the cruiser. The part I particularly like is how he called the brutal gang that beat two teens to death 'animals.' That's important because the hopeful next step is to brand it a terrorist organization.