View Poll Results: Will hurricane Sandy be a Frankenstorm?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only for the eastern seaboard

1 33.33%
  • Yes, with wind and flooding in the midwest too

0 0%
  • Yes, with snow from Maine to Maryland

1 33.33%
  • No, it's just meteorologist's hype

0 0%
  • No, just typical Halloween weather

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstorm?

Default Frankenstorm?

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets. We'll check back in a week or so to see who was right or wrong.

I hope no one in Italy reads this thread, or anyone making the wrong prediction might find themselves behind bars.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Ha ha. It's a big fricking storm on doppler radar. Some variations between European and American predictive models...but still a massive storm. My area has already begun to feel the end of the long tail whipping around. Sudden temp drops, higher than normal winds. Dark, cool skies and ominous cloud formations. Neat stuff in my book. People in town were either buying bottled water and batteries, or wondering why people were buying bottled water and batteries.

Governors are declaring emergency status, evacuating areas and closing roads. Hell, even political candidates are canceling events in advance.

We're already getting wind and rain from outer bands. Looks like it (being the center) will miss us, but the slow track will give us a ton of rain. I've made popcorn and cupcakes to get us through the cabin fever. Just hoping the power doesn't go out. Luckily I was able to get bread and water yesterday; two things I was actually out of and needed, and was kicking myself for not getting it in the week when I ran out. The store I went to had just restocked and it was evening, so most people were already done with their frantic shopping.

I'm not sure what my vote would be, other than yes.

Teh result will be no electricity for months, and zombies.

I have my zombie survival guide...so no worries here.

But what if the zombies have their Cat survival guide? There's a survival guide gap!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I didn't think of that.......dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    But what if the zombies have their Cat survival guide? There's a survival guide gap!
    If. . . if both parties have guides then there is no gap. Since Cat has affirmed she has a guide then there is only a gap if the zombies don't have one. And since we are all anti-zombie here I'd think we'd be happy about a gap like that.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    If. . . if both parties have guides then there is no gap. Since Cat has affirmed she has a guide then there is only a gap if the zombies don't have one. And since we are all anti-zombie here I'd think we'd be happy about a gap like that.
    I also think it has been fairly well established that Zombie's can't/don't read. It would be a huge coincidence then if a zombie would be carrying a survival guide addressing his security needs as the zombie would have gotten such a guide by sheer coincidence, like a living human being, out of 'ethnic' curiosity, happened to be reading the book as his throat was being ripped out.
    Congratulations America

Cat can't know what the zombie guide ownership situation is, the only rational avenue of thinking is to assume the zombies do possess a Cat guide and she must act accordingly. There needs to be an updated zombie guide which assumes the zombies have a Cat guide. We cannot allow for this guide gap to persist!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Guides for both sides would probably result in pretty comical situations (comical for those, of course, not having their brains eaten as a result).

Just like this bear attack survival guide I skimmed once:

• If a bear is awfully close, scream loudly to frighten them. Some bears won't be frightened, however, and view this as an attack.
    • If attacked, play dead. The bear will lose interest. Some bears are carrion eaters, though.
    • You might try climbing trees. Some bears can climb better than you, though

And so on. Pretty much every tip was immediately followed by such qualifiers. In short, you're probably screwed.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

But too be fair, cats are pretty evil critters so they'd have at least some chance to survive a zombie attack, right? Maybe even switch sides and lead them to victory?

So will this mess with the election or won't it?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Well, both Biden and Romney had to cancel their weekend rallies in my region, so it makes me a happy camper. Come to think of it, I haven't had an automated political call in the last two days either.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    But too be fair, cats are pretty evil critters so they'd have at least some chance to survive a zombie attack, right? Maybe even switch sides and lead them to victory?
    I think the only chance for you and humanity is to get the zombies to follow you and run Lemming-style off a cliff. Since you're a cat you'll land on your feet and be safe, unless somehow the zombies have got some buttered bread on their feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Mitt Romney said in the GOP debate on 6/13/11 that he would defund FEMA.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/fran...ld-defund-fema
    Mitt Romney doesn't believe government should help people in need.
    If Mitt Romney were President all those people would be on their own.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    So will this mess with the election or won't it?
    It'll probably depress the turnout to a degree in coastal areas. I would expect most strongly in NYC depending on how they've lain out their polling locations. But not enough to alter the outcome there.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Mitt Romney said in the GOP debate on 6/13/11 that he would defund FEMA.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/fran...ld-defund-fema
    Mitt Romney doesn't believe government should help people in need.
    If Mitt Romney were President all those people would be on their own.
    Seeing how its Mitt and all, it should be of no surprise that he already flipped on this
    http://www.salon.com/2012/10/30/mitt...would_keep_it/
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It'll probably depress the turnout to a degree in coastal areas. I would expect most strongly in NYC depending on how they've lain out their polling locations. But not enough to alter the outcome there.
    When will the nutter bunch come out and scream weather/voter suppression conspiracy by the GOP?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

We finally got electric back this afternoon, yay!

Was strange to hear about closed roads, evacuations, NY and NJ flooding, snow in NC and WV (on the radio) but not have access to internet/news photos.

Places started closing at noon Monday, all county schools closed for two days. Ventured out to retrieve my son on the east side of the county, he had power but flash flood risk, we didn't have power but were dry. Like a ghost town, very eery, some streets like creeks, wind blowing branches and caution cones around. Found one open diner where truckers and young people gathered, joking that The Zombie Apocalypse will have one diner that'll stay open to serve coffee and eggs.

Spent a little over 24 hours with head lamps, flashlights, candles, Duraflame fires, reading, and playing with cap guns It was kinda fun until it got cold, but we got off really easy compared to other places. How'd it go for you, Cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    When will the nutter bunch come out and scream weather/voter suppression conspiracy by the GOP?
    You mean how the GOP isn't trying to stop global warming by getting into reduced carbon emissions because they want storms like this to drown the urban vote? That's just bad science. There's more rainfall in a warmer climate but storm severity goes down.

It wasn't bad right where I was. Just a lot of rain and some wind. Never lost power. There was flooding in areas surrounding us, but nowhere near as bad as some previous storms were. I am waiting to hear from a friend in NJ. Hopefully she is doing okay.

You mean how the GOP isn't trying to stop global warming by getting into reduced carbon emissions because they want storms like this to drown the urban vote? That's just bad science. There's more rainfall in a warmer climate but storm severity goes down.
    I thought part of the global warming argument is that global warming will lead to more severe weather patterns. So...
    Hope is the denial of reality

And what do you reckon is the effect of Obama being all presidential this week, handling a disaster? Assuming there won't be a fuckup by the authorities.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    And what do you reckon is the effect of Obama being all presidential this week, handling a disaster? Assuming there won't be a fuckup by the authorities.
    The ex-director for FEMA (the one who fucked up the Katrina response so bad) is already bitching that the President is acting to fast.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Looks like Al Gore is blaming the storm on Global Warming...er...Climate Change...already.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Looks like Al Gore is blaming the storm on Global Warming...er...Climate Change...already.
    parroting what the scientists are saying is possible
    http://www.euractiv.com/climate-envi...ba-news-515777

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Miniscule. As disasters go Sandy was broad but not particularly deep and post-disaster is generally an opportunity to have a negative impact anyway, by appearing out of touch or unconcerned.

I was curious because I did see a news report of Christie applauding Obama's handling, and if it seems in contrast with, say, Katrina, very well. Plus I thought it might not hurt to look presidential in the week before an election, show people you have the experience and the authority etc.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!