Page 82 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

I haven't. I'm expecting things to be better in all aspects after March 2019.

Excellent. I suspect you'll be disappointed, the removal of [some] uncertainty will make things better but overall things will be much the same. In or out won't make all that much difference to our lives either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Something to look forward to then. All worth the cost.

What cost?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Tic toc, tic toc.

Not long now until we leave and we'll see who is right and who is wrong. You've set the bar so ridiculously low with your absurd armageddon talk that it's going to be so easy to clear. You've virtually left it that if we don't have the Plagues of Egypt that you'll be wrong.
    In case you crash out there will be a lot of people on your island who wish that they could eat their words.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I will stick to food thank you but this time next year you can eat humble pie. No doubt you'll backtrack and deny you ever made these insane predictions.

Note emphasis on the condition of an abrupt no deal brexit. If there are deals, it won't be a no deal brexit.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Except there will be a deal. Even if there is no overarching deal and we go to WTO terms then there will be more limited deals.

That's like saying if aliens invade... xyz then banging up the risks of xyz which are patently not going to happen.

It is clearly not the same unless your govt estimates the likelihood of an alien invasion at 60%. Regardless, you must be clear on the conditions under which predictions are made.

Except there will be a deal. Even if there is no overarching deal and we go to WTO terms then there will be more limited deals.
    You realize that deals do not simply fall from the sky?

Oh, wait, I forgot, I'm talking to you here. Of course you think the magic Brexit Fairy will solve all your problems instantly.

Cut the crap. You're being disingenuous calling all this bullshit that is not going to happen. When I call you on it you call me an ostrich etc ... but I know in 12 months time it won't have happened and you'll still be obstinate and using the excuse of "yeah but there was a deal" as to why your plagues of Egypt never happened. Never admitting you were always being hysterical.

How on earth is that an "excuse"? It is literally the key condition and your govt apparently believes the likelihood of a no deal outcome is around 60%, and your govt has determined that some of the consequences of such an outcome are shortages of food and medicines, difficulties sourcing materials for certain procedures, major congestion to/from ports, uncertainty for airlines etc. Stop trying to warp reality RB, you're not Boris Bannon.

No the government does not believe that, I disabused you of that misconception last time you wrote it.

The government is engaging in Project Fear two.

Liam Fox put the likelihood of a no deal brexit at 60%.

Liam Fox is not the government.

Does your government disagree with the assessment of its Secretary of State for International Trade?

Yes.

What cost?
    That's an interesting question. Before I answer: are you suggesting there is no cost incurred by the UK in leaving the EU?

Well we have the cost of figuring out what to do with the billions we used to send Brussells.

Well we have the cost of figuring out what to do with the billions we used to send Brussells.
    Good. Agreed.

And do you accept that our overall GDP growth since the referendum has been lower than it would have been if we voted to remain and/or didn't have it?

What is "the government" if not the group of people governing the state?

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    Good. Agreed.

And do you accept that our overall GDP growth since the referendum has been lower than it would have been if we voted to remain and/or didn't have it?
    No.

OK. Could you show me evidence to the contrary?

Yes.
    Prove it.

Meanwhile, businesses keep lying to the government:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3...6-46fcaabd1aea

Supermarket giants have warned the Treasury that a no-deal Brexit would force up the price of the average weekly food basket by as much as 12%.

Senior executives from some of the big four supermarkets made the alarming prediction in briefings to the Treasury on the impact on food prices of a no-deal Brexit.

The biggest tariffs on imports from the EU could include cheese, up by 44%, beef, up by 40%, and chicken, up 22%.

The warnings, which the Treasury is taking seriously, come as it is revealed that Britain’s monetary chiefs have ploughed the country’s foreign currency reserves into euros since the Brexit referendum, in what some are claiming is a vote of confidence in the stability of the single currency.

Figures from*the Bank of England, which manages Britain’s stocks of foreign currency on behalf of the government, show that Britain now holds more euros than dollars in its reserves, reversing the position since the June 2016 referendum.

Chris Leslie, the former shadow chancellor and supporter of the People’s Vote campaign, seized on figures he said showed the Bank of England was attempting to shield itself from the “catastrophic” consequences of a no-deal scenario.

His intervention comes amid growing fears about the collapse of the negotiations with the EU as the stalemate continues over Theresa May’s Chequers deal.

The chairman of one leading supermarket chain warned that food products imported from the EU would be hit with an average tariff of 22%. Without a trade deal for goods, the UK would fall back on World Trade Organisation rules. Britain would trade with the EU under the WTO’s “most favoured nation” status, but this would imply significant tariffs on many foods.

This is only one of three ways in which a no-deal Brexit would push up prices.*Sterling would fall further, raising the cost of imports. The working assumption in Whitehall is that it would drop by 10% or more.

Prices would also be pushed up by supermarkets being forced to import food using different ports and longer routes to avoid congestion at Dover.

“It’s complete nonsense that Brexit supporters say we could, without any damage, go to WTO most favoured nation tariffs,” a supermarket chairman said. “It’s dreadful. There will be hold-ups at the border and that will make it impossible to take things out of the ground in Spain this morning and get them onto the shelves in two days’ time.”

He added: “This is so serious we’re talking about civil unrest on the streets. Within two weeks of no deal this will become a very different country.”

Another chairman said that in the event of no deal there would be “a material increase” in food prices. “Finally some ministers seem to be waking up to that.”

Last night, however, Malcolm Walker, founder and boss of Iceland, disputed the latest warnings from the food industry after earlier government suggestions that supermarkets should stockpile food. He said: “All this scaremongering ... about stockpiling food — personally I think it’s all bollocks. It’s not in the EU’s interests for there to be no deal.”

Last week, Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, and Jeremy Hunt, the foreign secretary, warned that Britain was heading towards no deal and that leaving on WTO terms was now looking increasingly likely.

A government spokeswoman said: “As we leave the EU, we are committed to ensuring that consumers continue to have a wide range of choice of high-quality food products at affordable prices. The UK has an excellent level of food security, built on access to a range of sources including strong domestic production and imports from third countries. This will continue to be the case after exit.”

■ Today Andrew Adonis, the Labour peer and former transport secretary, has*written an open letter*to Jacob Rees-Mogg challenging him on his claims that no deal would be preferable to May’s Chequers proposals.

He writes: “On trade, would you confirm that you believe that WTO rules and remedies are sufficient to safeguard and promote Britain’s trade? You have said that ‘WTO is nothing to be frightened of,’ but no country in the world conducts its trade on WTO terms alone. Is it your view that we should become the first country to do so?

“Would you confirm that this would mean an immediate 10% export tariff for British-made cars and car parts into the EU, high tariffs on many other goods and services, and new customs checks and controls on trucks and cars travelling from Britain to ports in France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal and Spain?”

Cut the crap. You're being disingenuous calling all this bullshit that is not going to happen. When I call you on it you call me an ostrich etc ... but I know in 12 months time it won't have happened and you'll still be obstinate and using the excuse of "yeah but there was a deal" as to why your plagues of Egypt never happened. Never admitting you were always being hysterical.
    Dude, you're one of the most stupid idiots to ever walk this earth. Our warnings were ALWAYS contingent on a Hard Brexit, you stupid mouthbreathing motherfucker.

Show me ONE post where I suggested otherwise. ONE. Otherwise I'll call you a Trump because you're both an utter moron and also a pathological liar.

Us: "In case of a Hard Brexit, this will happen."
    You: "But there won't be those things! Because of deals"
    Us: "Maybe. But in case of a Hard Brexit, THIS will happen. Deals are not easy to make."
    You: "But this won't happen because there will be a deal. And thus you are liars!"
    Us: "WTF."

Okay that's just bizarrely angry. Come on man, that's not good for you.

Brexiteers are remarkably close to Erdoğan supporters in Turkey ; no matter how crazy it gets, they will blindly support it.
    Congratulations America

No need to look for exotic examples. They're not all that different from Trump admin officials & their enablers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Meanwhile, businesses keep lying to the government:
    <snip>

Last night, however, Malcolm Walker, founder and boss of Iceland, disputed the latest warnings from the food industry after earlier government suggestions that supermarkets should stockpile food. He said: “All this scaremongering ... about stockpiling food — personally I think it’s all bollocks.
    Well at least there was 1 comment there that was right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Dude, you're one of the most stupid idiots to ever walk this earth. Our warnings were ALWAYS contingent on a Hard Brexit, you stupid mouthbreathing motherfucker.

Show me ONE post where I suggested otherwise. ONE. Otherwise I'll call you a Trump because you're both an utter moron and also a pathological liar.

Us: "In case of a Hard Brexit, this will happen."
    You: "But there won't be those things! Because of deals"
    Us: "Maybe. But in case of a Hard Brexit, THIS will happen. Deals are not easy to make."
    You: "But this won't happen because there will be a deal. And thus you are liars!"
    Us: "WTF."
    Except if a deal happens then I will have been right. Deals are easy when necessary.