Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    oh yeah, and claim that you're concerned about protecting civil liberties/personal freedoms, as a conservative principle, with constitutional validation, while also wanting a SCOTUS judge that might overturn Roe v Wade. That kind of duplicity and hypocrisy is rampant in the New Republican Party "ideology".
    Most conservatives think Roe v. Wade is bull shit.

Do you think killing infants should be OK? I assume you don't. Well most conservatives believes a fetus and infant are interchangeable terms. It isn't difficult to understand that position just like it isn't difficult to understand liberals who think fetus != fetus. Quit making it sound like its somehow hypocritical to be in favor of personal liberties while also believing it is OK to restrict the murder of infants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

Do you think killing infants should be OK? I assume you don't. Well most conservatives believes a fetus and infant are interchangeable terms. It isn't difficult to understand that position just like it isn't difficult to understand liberals who think fetus != fetus. Quit making it sound like its somehow hypocritical to be in favor of personal liberties while also believing it is OK to restrict the murder of infants.
    Like I said, you're a good example of how Republican Branding has been effective, even when it's not really libertarian or conservative.

I don't know why you think fetus and infant are interchangeable terms, because they're not. I don't know why you're conflating abortion with murder, but I suspect it's because you've bought into the PRO LIFE agenda that's part of the Republican Party Propaganda (and branding) that's been co-opted by Christian Evangelicals.

The same dilemma occurs within the "Liberal Democratic Party", that usually aligns itself with the Catholic church, where even birth control is taboo. So don't feel bad about your conflicts. Just stop making it sound like right or wrong is party specific.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

I don't know why you think fetus and infant are interchangeable terms, because they're not. I don't know why you're conflating abortion with murder, but I suspect it's because you've bought into the PRO LIFE agenda that's part of the Republican Party Propaganda (and branding) that's been co-opted by Christian Evangelicals.
    I literally just told you why abortion is conflated with murder. You can feel free to disagree but burying your head in the sand is just ignorant.

I literally just told you why abortion is conflated with murder. You can feel free to disagree but burying your head in the sand is just ignorant.
    No, you just threw out a statement that "most" conservatives think Roe v Wade is bullshit...when many conservatives believe that the government shouldn't dictate what women do with their reproductive organs (or men, for that matter). You conflated embryo with fetus, and fetus with infant; you didn't distinguish between spontaneous abortion (a miscarriage) or chemically induced or surgical termination, or even selective termination (after IVF).

You've bought the "pro-life" propaganda disseminated by the Christian Coalition, hook line and sinker, without putting much thought into the modern complexities of reproduction, or birth control....let alone the males' undeniable role.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    For God's sake GGT Lewk believes the world was created in 6 days around 6000 years ago and humans hung out with dinosaurs until all dinos perished in a global flood that millions of animals survived thanks to some dude with a giant boat.
    He also claims to support maximum individual freeeeedoms and a small, non-intrusive government. Maybe he really wants a New-Age Evangelical Christian Theocracy, who knows? I suppose that's the big question for American Conservatism as a whole.....and whether the Republican Party can be the Big Tent they promise

That depends on how you define terms, especially what 'conservative' means. If you think a conservative government shouldn't be telling people how to conduct their reproductive lives, or dictate medical procedures, then Roe v Wade makes perfect sense.

I have no idea how the Christian Coalition, the Moral Majority, Faith and Family voters, CPAC, or any other right wing Republican group that's glommed onto abortion as their celebrated political cause....has convinced voters that electing Trump was a good thing, just because he can tilt the Supreme Court in a more authoritarian direction. Branding is just another word for propaganda