Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Kavanaugh be confirmed for SCOTUS?

"Do you believe in Gawd? I want you to look me inna eye and say you didn't do all the stuff."
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Default Should Kavanaugh be confirmed for SCOTUS?

Taking the discussion out of the damn Trump 2016 thread.

I watched parts of today's hearings, listened to some on the radio....so many complexities! So disappointing that this turned out even worse than the Thomas/Hill hearings. I had hoped we've come farther (culturally, as a society) in almost 30 years.

This is such a mess (yes, a circus). Since Kavanaugh said he won't withdraw his nomination, and McConnell and the Republicans are determined to hold a vote ASAP, I can only hope he'd not get the requisite votes and lose the nomination.

He wouldn't be the first SCOTUS nominee to be rejected. And it's not like The Federalist Society, or the Judicial Crisis Network, or any other conservative-leaning GOP group doesn't have a list of alternative nominees. Also, the court can operate with only 8 justices (as they did for over a year after Scalia died, and the GOP refused to even consider Garland) so THE RUSH doesn't make sense.

I say cut Kavanaugh lose and start over. What do you think?

No.

1. He has lied to or misled Congress re. the stolen emails.

2. There is reason to believe he has misled Congress when it comes to his role in Bush era policy on torture.

3. He appears to have been implicated in a violation of grand jury secrecy.

4. He has clearly been dishonest about his drinking habits, judging by the accounts given by those who attended uni w/ him.

5. He appears to have been involved in the asinine plot to implicate another man as the real perpetrator of the assault on Dr. Ford.

6. His denials re. knowledge about Kozinski's vile practices are not credible.

7. Most importantly, he would be the one justice on SCOTUS who might actually be impeached in the future for his lies. GOP senators have sold their souls and their balls to Trump in exchange for being able to place a youngish conservative justice on SCOTUS. If they sacrifice everything and then Kavanaugh ultimately gets impeached, during a Democratic president and a D-majority Senate, their sacrifice will have been in vain. I therefore don't think it would be wise to confirm him even from a strictly partisan perspective.

I'm going with no.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

AND less than 10% of his opinions/writings have been released for full review and scrutiny.

Latest reports are that the judicial committee will vote tomorrow, with a full senate floor vote on Saturday.

I'm also not convinced he can be an "impartial jurist" after his tirade today, where he basically said Democrats orchestrated a plot to destroy him. Forget his beer-drinking in HS or college, he seems to be drunk on conspiracy koolaid.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-28-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Lewk: pfft, everyone lies under other no big d
    Also Lewk: FUCK THAT LYING BITCH FORD

Lewk: But if, hypothetically, Clinton did commit a crime wouldn't you want to know about it?
    Also Lewk: literally any accusation against a Republican politicians is a politically motivated hit job and should not even be considered

Absolutely pathetic.
    He is all over the place in his other thread too, dude is losing his damn mind over all this; he can't even figure out who is responsible for prison rape.

He is going to get worse and worse as his world continues to get challenged and falls apart. To the point one wouldn't be paranoid to worry about the safety of his family.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    He is going to get worse and worse as his world continues to get challenged and falls apart. To the point one wouldn't be paranoid to worry about the safety of his family.
    Dude, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Taking the discussion out of the damn Trump 2016 thread.

I watched parts of today's hearings, listened to some on the radio....so many complexities! So disappointing that this turned out even worse than the Thomas/Hill hearings. I had hoped we've come farther (culturally, as a society) in almost 30 years.

This is such a mess (yes, a circus). Since Kavanaugh said he won't withdraw his nomination, and McConnell and the Republicans are determined to hold a vote ASAP, I can only hope he'd not get the requisite votes and lose the nomination.

He wouldn't be the first SCOTUS nominee to be rejected. And it's not like The Federalist Society, or the Judicial Crisis Network, or any other conservative-leaning GOP group doesn't have a list of alternative nominees. Also, the court can operate with only 8 justices (as they did for over a year after Scalia died, and the GOP refused to even consider Garland) so THE RUSH doesn't make sense.

I say cut Kavanaugh lose and start over. What do you think?
    Well the American BAR Association thinks he's qualified.

And the rush makes a ton of sense if you are paying any attention to politics.

Lewk: pfft, everyone lies under other no big d
    Also Lewk: FUCK THAT LYING BITCH FORD

Lewk: But if, hypothetically, Clinton did commit a crime wouldn't you want to know about it?
    Also Lewk: literally any accusation against a Republican politicians is a politically motivated hit job and should not even be considered

Absolutely pathetic.
    What are you talking about? There is no underlying crime here just a desire to delay. On the other hand its obvious Clinton broke the law.

Another Lewk.

Hope is the denial of reality

Kavanaugh was an attorney for the Starr investigation. He wanted to impeach Clinton for "immoral acts", not just perjury. But since then he's changed his mind, and now believes a sitting president shouldn't be investigated or indicted, not even for felony crimes. How convenient for Trump.

Kavanaugh might be impeached, but there's no way he'd be removed from office (requires 2/3 of Senate).

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Kavanaugh might be impeached, but there's no way he'd be removed from office (requires 2/3 of Senate).
    Given actual physical evidence (say a blue dress from one of the many "gang rapes" he attended) I would anticipate Republicans would do the right thing.

Lewk, you'd rather seat a bad candidate simply because he's a Republican, in a rush to beat the mid-term elections, and think his future "impeachment" is a real option? Yeah, I'm paying attention to politics.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Missed it on mobile, but holy shit at the expressions of every woman in the room. Like they are waiting for someone to control the tandrum throwing toddler
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Given actual physical evidence (say a blue dress from one of the many "gang rapes" he attended) I would anticipate Republicans would do the right thing.
    You must be more deluded than I thought. But at the expected level of dishonesty given your evidentiary expectation.

There weren't smart phones with cameras back in those days, let alone internet and social media posts. His yearbooks are bad enough, but not "conclusive" by today's legal standards.

There was a big deal made about "guilt by association", and drinking beers. It bothered me that he tried to use his private Jesuit HS as a proxy for innocence. My personal experience is that prep school and Catholic school culture is like a training ground for college fraternities that haze their pledges (to death) and hold parties with enough Planter's Punch to get girls drunk and into a room....

It's not a big secret, but most people don't come forward to expose it. Why would they? Even victims of predatory priests didn't come forward for decades, for the same reasons; if you're female, you won't be believed. If you're male, you'll be a traitor. Or some combination meant to shame, humiliate, silence.

I'm probably not the only woman who watched the hearings and found it quite plausible that Kavanaugh was 'that guy' we all knew was creepy, even though he had tons of friends who'd vouch for his 'integrity', and even more who were part of the pack pact that would never divulge the truth (what happens at Georgetown prep stays at Georgetown prep wink wink)

And yet:

Note btw this question that touched on something that might corroborate Dr. Ford's allegations and that refutes Kavanaugh's claim that the event must have occurred on a weekend, most of which he says he had alibis for:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ar-only-point/

And, indeed, after that the GOP suddenly decided they didn't need her help after all.

After an FBI background check is completed. That seems reasonable.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/polit...ion/index.html

So... How many times did the ABA get name dropped by this slime ball yesterday?

Relevant in light of yesterday's display:

I am sure that you have watched police SWAT teams in action at a hostage situation. As the hostages emerge, a strange thing happens. The police treat them as if they were the bad guys. They have them kneel down, hands in the air, frisk them and handcuff them. Why? Because if the police have never actually seen the suspects, they want to be sure that the bad guys aren’t trying to escape in the disguise of one of the hostages. And that is how we need to handle abuse situations, because it is very, very common for the abuser to claim to be the victim – and his disguise can be pretty ingenious. Many hostages are thrown in “jail” while the bad guys go free when it comes to how our churches are dealing with abuse in their midst.

It really is not that difficult to recognize an abuser. Their mentality of power, control, entitlement and justification always betrays itself in their speech and you can hear it if you know what to listen for. To show you what I mean, let me use an example for a not-so-well-disguised abuser who wrote to me recently. He claims to be the victim of his wife’s abuse. I will just paraphrase him so as not to publicly identify him. I suppose on a blog like this I have to protect the guilty. Oh well. Here’s his opening line:

“Too bad you dont really know what you are talking about. You do not have much discernment and have bought into the lie that all or most domestic violence is perpetrated by men against women, nothing could be further from the truth. I can also tell you dont have any personal experience in this area, and I do. You, like many others have bought into the lies about DV and you say its mostly women who have come forward to you, therefore it must be only or mostly women that are abused.”

And then:

“She lies, deceives, manipulates and much of what you say of what happens spiritually is true, but I am the Christian and she unfortunately is not, I suggest her Catholic upbringing has may have something to do with that. Her family are liars and deceivers…she would come to you and say how I beat her, the kids, control the money and more…and you would believe it…like her family and few friends…but most neighbors, our children and their friends know the truth.”

So, when you are confronted with a man who claims to be the victim, here are some pretty reliable tests you can apply to see if you are talking to a real victim, or an abuser who is playing the victim (thus attempting to win you over as his ally) –

1. Abusers evidence a mentality of superiority and certainty. Notice how this fellow goes right on the attack to exalt himself, his knowledge, his wisdom as oppose to our ignorance. He knows. We are fools. In contrast, a real victim is most often confused, uncertain, and has a low self-image, putting themselves down.

2. Abusers will evidence a demeaning attitude toward women in general and their victim in particular. They insist that radical feminism has us all duped and that they are the victims of some widespread anti-man conspiracy. Victims don’t see things this clearly and thus are not so dogmatic. They will be more demeaning of themselves if anything.

3. Abusers attack their victim with nasty, cruel allegations. For example, the abuser may say “My wife is a drunk, a whore, a lazy *^%$ who only thinks of herself and lies to everyone about me.”

We need to ask ourselves, is what this guy is saying about his wife really believable? Often the abuser’s accusations are bizarre and outlandish. Real victims do not exaggerate their abuser’s conduct; rather, they tend to downplay or not report all the evil things the abuser has done because they are trying to not tell lies and because they may have suppressed memories of abusive incidents while trying to walk on eggshells and survive.

If a victim may has come to the point of realizing the evils the abuser has done, the victim may report the abuse to others to seek help and support, but the victim won’t exaggerate and invent lies like the abuser does.

4. Abuse victims, and perhaps especially genuine male victims of abuse, exhibit humility and shame. They are far more reluctant to open up about what has happened to them. They will not insist that they have lots of people who believe them! Real abuse victims, you see, often lack allies. It is the abuser who has them!
    https://cryingoutforjustice.com/2012...-jeff-crippen/
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Not that the GOP and its enablers understand such concepts, but here is some perspective to having your life ruined.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/polit...ned/index.html

Any indication on what Flake is going to do today? His vote seems critical.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Relevant in light of yesterday's display:

https://cryingoutforjustice.com/2012...-jeff-crippen/
    Abusers often play the victim, and they can certainly have these traits. They can be extremely manipulative not only against their victims but also in their interactions with friends, family, officials etc. Nevertheless, I strongly oppose using this sort of criteria to determine who is a "real victim" and who isn't. It seems like an appropriate heuristic, but the truth is that some of what this person describes is simply what you might see also from a victim with a personality disorder or just a generally messed up behavior. I say this based on anecdotal evidence from my own patients: this heuristic might identify disordered behavior, but it is not a good way to distinguish real victims from fake ones. Nor is the framing accurate: while most victims of domestic violence are indeed women, when it comes to abusive relationships in general, many men are also victims. Most importantly, in many of these relationships, both partners act as both abuser and victim. For most of us, we have neither the need nor the authority to adjudicate the legitimacy of a person's claim to victimhood. If we can help a victim of abuse, we should, and we should do so without requiring an enemy to side against. Just try to be on the lookout for malevolent manipulation. You can use these criteria to identify those who are simply too unpleasant to get involved with, but I don't recommend using them to infer any other firm truths about people.

Just an aside. Not all dicks etc.

Last time someone got this aggressive and emotional on tape Lewk insulted them with pokemon references. So why does he view Kavanaugh's performance favorably?

Last time someone got this aggressive and emotional on tape Lewk insulted them with pokemon references. So why does he view Kavanaugh's performance favorably?
    He's not a liberal.

Someone pointed out that almost the only speaker who managed to keep it together yesterday was the victim.

Flake flaked.

Hope Murkowski and Collins stand up for women. Also hope after this travesty that all women in America get up and vote in November. The GOP may win the battle but lose the war.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Flake flaked.

Hope Murkowski and Collins stand up for women. Also hope after this travesty that all women in America get up and vote in November. The GOP may win the battle but lose the war.
    See thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/st...33275350773760