Thread: teevee sucks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    . It's okay to enjoy it, but it's less okay to think just because you enjoyed it it must be any good.
    I understand what you mean and I used to make the distinctions you are talking about. But somewhere in the last 5 years I've decided with more and more things that what I like is good. And that's it. If you ask my opinion of something, and I like it, my opinion is it's good (more or less - I'll use a star system if I'm feeling up to it). I know there are virtually infinite measures of quality of a virtually infinite number of things, and the pleasure I get from something is a measure used literally only by me (as far as I know), but.... I don't care anymore what the experts in the field say. I'm tired of saying Jazz and Mozart and Picasso are awesome because, you know what, I've never really liked them. I've tried to get whatever it is that the pros get, but I don't, and I'm mostly done trying to work it out. Life is too big, complicated, and short for that.

Which is not to say I'm not influenced by others' opinions on things or that I don't recognize when something I like really is shit. Or something I don't like isn't shit. I know Jazz is this really great thing, and I've enjoyed some of it in the past, but 97% of the time when I hear real American Jazz on the radio I turn it off. It just doesn't do anything for me. However, with books like this one I don't try to make any real fine adjustment in my head like "...yes, Altered Carbon is a good read, but the main character or story is derivative and relies too heavily on that tired old blah blah blah trope...." Nah. The plot is complex and consistent and the characters and their decisions believable, the writing is pretty tight, it took me along for a fun ride... it's good. (Except that I'm certain consciousness can't be transferred from brain to brain unless you physically rewire the destination brain to exactly match the origin, which HAS to be impossible.)

It didn't blow my mind. If it blew my mind, I'd say so. That's different.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I finished End of the F**king World a few days ago and it was good. I almost threw it away after episode 2, but I'm glad I didn't. I could tell you why, but it would probably spoil something or other. Let's just say that in the early plot development, a key point I had thought was an error, I learned with later events was not.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)