Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 homosexuals lured into 'party' in Bronx;sodomised, whipped, burned without consent

Default 3 homosexuals lured into 'party' in Bronx;sodomised, whipped, burned without consent

Lured Into a Trap, Then Tortured for Being Gay

He was told there was a party at a brick house on Osborne Place, a quiet block set on a steep hill in the Bronx. He showed up last Sunday night as instructed, with plenty of cans of malt liquor. What he walked into was not a party at all, but a night of torture — he was sodomized, burned and whipped.

All punishment, the police said Friday, for being gay.

There were nine attackers, ranging from 16 to 23 years old and calling themselves the Latin King Goonies, the police said. Before setting upon their 30-year-old victim, they had snatched up two teenage boys whom they beat, the police said — until the boys — one of whom was sodomized with a plunger — admitted to having had sex with the man.

The attackers forced the man to strip to his underwear and tied him to a chair, the police said. One of the teenage victims was still there, and the “Goonies” ordered him to attack the man. The teenager hit him in the face and burned him with a cigarette on his nipple and penis as the others jeered and shouted gay slurs, the police said. Then the attackers whipped the man with a chain and sodomized him with a small baseball bat.

The beatings and robberies went on for hours. They were followed by a remarkably thorough attempt to sanitize the house — including pouring bleach down drains, the police said, as little by little word of the attacks trickled to the police. A crucial clue to the attackers was provided by someone who slipped a note to a police officer outside the crime scene, at 1910 Osborne Place in Morris Heights, near Bronx Community College.

Seven suspects were arrested on Thursday and Friday, and two were still being sought in a crime that the leader of the City Council called among the worst hate crimes she had ever heard of. “It makes you sick,” said the Council speaker, Christine C. Quinn, the city’s highest ranking openly gay official.
    The charges included abduction, unlawful imprisonment and sodomy, all as hate crimes.

“These suspects deployed terrible, wolf-pack odds of nine against one, which revealed them as predators whose crimes were as cowardly as they were despicable,” Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said at a news conference.

The assaults are the latest in a string of recent episodes of bullying and attacks against gays. A Rutgers University student jumped to his death off the George Washington Bridge last month, prosecutors said, after his roommate had secretly set up a webcam in their room and streamed over the Internet his sexual encounter with another man. Two men were accused of robbing and beating a man in the Stonewall Inn, a landmark gay bar in Greenwich Village, last weekend while shouting slurs.

Neighbors on Osborne Place said the house, nondescript but for its door painted a bright lime green, had been vacant for some time. A group of teenagers and young men had moved in as squatters, neighbors said, and hosted loud parties.

“You could smell it from them,” said a neighbor who gave only his last name, Gomez. “From the start, you could tell they were trouble.” Mr. Gomez said he and other neighbors had discussed whether anything could be done about the squatters, but nothing came of it.

The nine suspects — the group seemed not so much part of an established gang as a loose group of friends who adopted a nickname — knew some or all three victims. The idea for the attacks seemed to have been hatched last Saturday, after one member of the group saw the 30-year-old man, who he knew was gay, with a 17-year-old who wanted to join the gang, the police said.

Hours later, at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday, the group grabbed the 17-year-old, took him to the house and slammed him into a wall, the police said.

He was beaten, made to strip naked, slashed with a box cutter, hit on the head with a can of beer and sodomized with the wooden handle of a plunger, the police said. And he was interrogated about the 30-year-old and asked if they had had sex.

The teenager said that they had. The gang members set him loose, warning him to keep quiet or they would hurt his friends and family. The teenager walked into a nearby hospital and said he had been jumped by strangers on the street and robbed.

At 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, the police said, the group members grabbed a second 17-year-old, beating and likewise interrogating him about his contact with the 30-year-old. He, too, said he had had sex with the man. They took his jewelry and held him while the 30-year-old arrived for what he thought was a party, his arms filled with 10 tall cans of Four Loko, a caffeine-infused malt liquor. He had cleaned out a store of its entire stock.

He was immediately set upon and tied up. Then the assailants ordered the second teenager to attack the 30-year-old, and they joined in the beating. The beating lasted hours, the police said. The attackers forced the man to drink all 10 cans of liquor — each about twice the size of a can of beer, with a higher alcohol content, 10 percent to 12 percent, according to Four Loko’s Web site.

While the man was held captive and attacked, five of the Latin King Goonies went to his house, which he shared with his 40-year-old brother. Using a key taken from the 30-year-old to get inside, they found his brother in bed. They pulled a blanket over his head and hit him, demanding money. When he refused, one placed a cellphone to the brother’s ear, and he heard the voice of his younger brother, who said he had been kidnapped and who pleaded, “Give them the money.”

The brother complied. The men took $1,000 in cash, two debit cards and a 52-inch television.
    The brother managed to free himself about three hours later, and he called the police, leaving out the fact that his brother was being held. By then it was Monday morning. Detectives went to the brothers’ home and, upon leaving, saw the 30-year-old, passed out on the landing from the alcohol he had consumed. But having no reason to believe he had been a victim of a crime, they did not question him.

Detectives returned later that day, suspicious of how the robbers had entered the brothers’ home without using force, and the 30-year-old told them he had been picked up in a van by strangers and forced to give them his keys and address, the police said.

Officers still had no idea about the first teen who had visited the hospital, because he had not called the police, and hospitals are not required to inform the authorities about assaults, the police said. The man had said he was robbed near 1910 Osborne, and police officers tried to obtain a search warrant for the house but were told they did not have enough cause, the police said.

Late on Tuesday the second teenager walked into a Bronx police station house and gave a version of what had happened, the police said. None of the three victims, in their first interviews with the police, were fully forthcoming, fearing reprisal and wanting to keep their lives a secret. But the second teenager gave an address, and a second request for a search warrant was granted.

On Wednesday morning, officers entered 1910 Osborne Place and found a surprising sight: an immaculate house, with fresh coats of paint and the smell of bleach hanging thick in the air. One detective called the house “the cleanest crime scene I’ve ever seen,” Mr. Kelly said.

“Lots of bleach and paint were used to cover the blood shed by their tortured prey,” he said. “They even poured bleach down the drains.”

Rugs and linoleum had been ripped out. Detectives were able to scrape evidence, including pubic hair and empty liquor cans, from the house, but not much was found, Mr. Kelly said.

The break in the case came later Wednesday when someone in a crowd of onlookers outside the house quietly slipped an officer his phone number and, when a detective called, gave the name of the man believed to be the ringleader of the group of nine: Ildefonzo Mendez, 23. Officers later learned the name of the first victim from the other teenager.

By Wednesday night, all three victims had given full accounts of the attacks, and for the next 36 hours, officers with the Hate Crimes Task Force, the Gang Division and Special Victims squad worked up a list of nine suspects.

Arrests began Thursday.

The other suspects under arrest were identified as David Rivera, 21; Nelson Falu, 17; Steven Carballo, 17; Denis Peitars, 17; Bryan Almonte, 17; and Brian Cepeda, 16. They were being held by the police in the Bronx on Friday night, with no arraignment scheduled. Still being sought, the police said, are Elmer Confessor, 23, and Ruddy Vargas-Perez, 22.

One suspect confessed, a law enforcement official said, others have not given statements.
    One suspect was taken to the hospital unconscious Friday night, with an undisclosed medical problem.
    Welp. And of course Belgrad's exploding from all the dirty homos.

So as this isn't just a re-post of a torture news article, how about them hate crimes? Can they be deterred by stronger punishments, assuming hate crimes are committed by people who wouldn't "normally do that sort of thing" but gays offend their masculinity or blacks kissing whites offends their sense of Christian morals or whatever they happen to believe in. Do these people even exist?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I got the idea that this was more about macho-gang mores than about anything else. It also makes you think about why a 30 y.o. goes to a party with minors only after having cleared out a store's stock of liquor. It doesn't really seem anybody really wanted to get the police involved either.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    So as this isn't just a re-post of a torture news article, how about them hate crimes? Can they be deterred by stronger punishments, --
    Stronger punishments? Come on. It's not like they stole toothpaste or something.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Kidnapping is a wonderful charge. It allows the courts to throw the book at pretty much any asshole who restrains others against their will. So, we're looking at 15 year + sentences for these guys.

My girlfriend made an interesting point. Would a non-gay guy make other guys strip naked and sodomize them? Why do I get the feeling the "gangsters" are themselves repressed homosexuals?
    Hope is the denial of reality

No no, just the taker is gay, you see

I think it's more about power and humiliation in this case.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

There are ways of demonstrating those things that does not involve engaging in "sexual acts" with those people.

Sure, but the ways that involve "sexual acts" are supposed to be more extreme. And we all know homophobes are just pissed because they can't get laid , and this way they got laid I suppose.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Perhaps if politicians didn't turn homosexuality into something deviant and gave everyone the same rights, then the hate crime victims here wouldn't have been as embarrassed to come forward.

I know a couple of gay men who would deal with any amount of abuse rather than being outted. That's a tragedy, too.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I think those victims are more likely to care about how they'll be perceived in the "'hood" than how they're perceived by the politicians.

Of course they are, that was my point, Icky. But politicians foster that attitude among people who aren't thugs and scum, too. If you're treated like a second class citizen, you sure as hell are going to be scared to make a fuss about it.

There's still a stigma attached to being gay in many circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My girlfriend made an interesting point. Would a non-gay guy make other guys strip naked and sodomize them?
    Yes.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Yes.
    Since it's not primarily a question of sexual orientation but one of domination.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

This is pretty horrific.

Objectively, I think hate crimes legislation can too-often rely on hearsay or turn an isolated conviction where a slur was uttered into disproportionate jail time.

Subjectively, I'm glad they will be prosecuted using hate crime legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Of course they are, that was my point, Icky. But politicians foster that attitude among people who aren't thugs and scum, too. If you're treated like a second class citizen, you sure as hell are going to be scared to make a fuss about it.

There's still a stigma attached to being gay in many circles.
    The way I understand it, 2 of the people who were attacked wanted to join the gang in question, so they did care more about the opinions of thugs and scum.

Yes.
    I still think there must be some underlying issues there. You don't "prove" homosexuality is bad by engaging in a homosexual act.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Since it's not primarily a question of sexual orientation but one of domination.
    Domination, degradation, violent violation. . .

My response to your girlfriend, Loki, is to ask if she thinks rape is solely a sexual act. They're not necessarily out to "prove" anything, Loki. Just to punish, control, and lash out.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I'm not denying that, Icky - just trying to point out that when an attitude saying that a homosexual is less of a person can still be considered remotely mainstream (yes, the politician is a tea party peach, but he did get the Republican nomination) is it any wonder that lowlifes will have it, too. They'll be the last to change, not the first.

That type (the abusers) thrive on finding people they perceive as weak. They weren't really engaging in a homosexual act - they were using the victims weakness against them. Does your ordinary run-of-the-mill rapist (not date rape or kiddie rape) get his pleasure from the sexual act, or from asserting power over a victim? It's why the argument "she was asking for it" when women are raped after going out in short skirts and otherwise sexually attractive clothing is so weak - it's not so much appearance or sexuality that is important, but the strong preying on the weak.

I enjoy consensual s&m, anal sex, and sex toys. I'd appreciate it if you'd quit turning a brutal attack on unwilling victims as something sexual. It isn't. It's nothing more than violence, even if in some bizarre way you are managing to see elements of normal sexual behavior in this.

Domination, degradation, violent violation. . .

My response to your girlfriend, Loki, is to ask if she thinks rape is solely a sexual act. They're not necessarily out to "prove" anything, Loki. Just to punish, control, and lash out.
    I think there's a difference between something being a solely sexual act and something being a sexual act. I'm not denying that a sexual act can't be an exercise in dominance, but it still demonstrates one's sexuality. When it happens somewhere like in a jail, the intent is not just to show dominance, but also to have sex with the only gender available.

That type (the abusers) thrive on finding people they perceive as weak. They weren't really engaging in a homosexual act - they were using the victims weakness against them. Does your ordinary run-of-the-mill rapist (not date rape or kiddie rape) get his pleasure from the sexual act, or from asserting power over a victim? It's why the argument "she was asking for it" when women are raped after going out in short skirts and otherwise sexually attractive clothing is so weak - it's not so much appearance or sexuality that is important, but the strong preying on the weak.
    If it was purely about power, then the "she was asking for it" rapists wouldn't care whether they were raping men or women, and they clearly do.

Are you seriously blaming the victims here, Icky?

Are you seriously blaming the victims here, Icky?
    Eh? I'm just saying most rapists choose to rape a specific gender, suggesting that they do it due to a mix of domination and sexual gratification. If it was just the former, they shouldn't have a gender preference.

This looks like people are dog-piling on Loki and that's not my intent, but here's something that might help the conversation along.

There is a segment within the very homophobic who clearly lash out at other, out and about, homos. Like that prosecutor somewhere in the US who's busy stalking one gay guy. They can't stand to see a gay person happy as a gay person. So they have to spend agonizing hours proving to others and in some ways to themselves that gays are actually disease-ridden, promiscuous and amoral dirt-bags, because the out and about gays represent the freedom of being the self-hating homophobes don't have. I get that, you have to hate in others the representation of that which you hate in yourself.

But it's equally possible to hate gays because they infringe on your idea of what it is to be a man, or what sexuality means to you (because most gods are so obsessed with genitalia and the intestinal track). You have to hate the weakness and non-male behaviour of gays, just like you have to hate women for taking a dick in their mouths as you love them, the whole machismo culture is chock-full of glaring logical inconsistencies.

So perverting the sexual act into a torture scene does not require that the tormentor gets anything sexual out of the scene. If they are inventive enough in their sadism, they can take an act which they assume to be sexual to the tortured party, such as touching the penis or nipple, and turning it into an exercise of burnt flesh, oppression and misery. It's also probably not wise to conflate the torture the gays-scene we see here with the casual rapists, unless I missed some part where the torturers were jacking off.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Eh? I'm just saying most rapists choose to rape a specific gender, suggesting that they do it due to a mix of domination and sexual gratification. If it was just the former, they shouldn't have a gender preference.
    Why do you think an interest in domination, degradation and/or violent violation might not be keyed in on cultural constructs like gender?

Dare I bring up that for a huge proportion of people on this planet 'homosexuality' is a white cultural concept they can't really relate to? For many people two people of the same gender having sex with eachother is entirely different from somebody being a homosexual.

Just for fun try to square this one: under the Taliban homosexuality was punishable by death. In the heartland of the Taliban man on man sex was so rampant that a conservative mullah estimated that about 80% of all men at one point had engaged in sex with another man.

I am pretty certain that on the subject of homosexuality the assaulters were closer to the Taliban than to the average white person in the US.
    Congratulations America

Interestingly, a lot of the people interviewed about the victim referred to him as "she", even though he wasn't a cross-dresser or anything. And they said lots of positive things about how he was a nice guy and all...except they called him "her".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    And they said lots of positive things about how he was a nice guy and all...except they called him "her".
    Its New York. How often have you heard people, when referring to a group that is either all girls, or includes girls, use the word "guys"?
    . . .

Yeah, but that's a common expression and a function of having only binary gender descriptions. But a group of people referring to one man (who happens to be gay) as "she" is sorta...

I'm pretty sure they meant it to be insulting.

(when I call people girls it should be taken as a compliment, though)

Yeah, but that's a common expression and a function of having only binary gender descriptions. But a group of people referring to one man (who happens to be gay) as "she" is sorta...
    No, they likely always refer to him as she, and when referring to him as a "nice guy" that was the common expression sneaking in...
    . . .

I don't understand what your point is anymore.
    I don't think I really understood yours then...
    . . .