Thread: The Folly of Loopholes and Complex Tax Codes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VAT is simpler even than PAYE.

Computer does it all for me. Is a good VAT-chargeable? If yes: Charge VAT. If no: Don't. Done.

Cold food (eg to take home and cook/eat) is a necessity, so is zero-rated.
    Cooked food and eating out are luxuries (so charge VAT). That is the logic Minx. The oddities of being charged differently for the same product somewhere like Subway is just a consequence, its not the intention. Trying to do away with those oddities would probably make the tax code even more complex though!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    VAT is simpler even than PAYE.

Computer does it all for me. Is a good VAT-chargeable? If yes: Charge VAT. If no: Don't. Done.

Cold food (eg to take home and cook/eat) is a necessity, so is zero-rated.
    Cooked food and eating out are luxuries (so charge VAT). That is the logic Minx. The oddities of being charged differently for the same product somewhere like Subway is just a consequence, its not the intention. Trying to do away with those oddities would probably make the tax code even more complex though!
    Seems like Subway, whether you heat your sandwich or not, (I prefer mine toasted ) is "eating out."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)