Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

You should be watching The Americans. Really.

This week's was fantastic.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

You're welcome.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    "The monster is blue and full of errors!"

This is what the acronym LMAO was intended for... geeze.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Been watching through Farscape again, starting with season 3 since I remember disliking the first season. It still holds up, even though it's a bit harder for me to see past the muppets this time around.

Farscape is wonderful. Muppets and all.

All that Aeryn Sun.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I've just bought the box set for Babylon 5.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I think I'm about due for another trip to the Island.

Friendly reminder: Daredevil is on Netflix today.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Farscape is wonderful. Muppets and all.
    There was supposed to be a movie if Guardians of the Galaxy proved there was a receptive audience for it, which it did. I haven't heard anything else about it since. I hope they go forward with it.

Game of Thrones on Sunday. The same NY Times reviewer who provided the only mixed review for the show in seasons 2, 3, and 4, finally gave the show a positive review for season 5.
    Hope is the denial of reality

So we're nearing the end of the first season of Daredevil on Netflix and, I gotta admit, at the moment I'm only watching this because it's a show about a Marvel character. So many things I'm disappointed with. The writing, the dialogue in particular, is down-right amateurish much of the time. I want to like the main cast of characters, but there are some major problems with casting as well as with the quality of acting. I thought Kingpin was a great villain in the comics, and I thought his portrayal in the misbegotten Daredevil movie was kinda awesome. The idiot in the series, well, I can't stand to see him on screen, and I hate hearing him even more. God, that ridiculous voice... also displeased with the overly grimdark approach. It makes for a visually unsatisfying experience and doesn't do much for the frequent but kinda dull action scenes.

I'm gonna keep watching the show obviously, but right now it kinda feels like the TV equivalent of someone taking a bowl of delicious soup and then watering it down with fouled water and tossing in small pieces of wtf why for good measure. I like Matt, Karen, Claire, Ben and Claire. I even liked the Russians and the others surrounding Fisk. But Fisk himself is like a pile of streaming poo on a beautiful carpet that you just had such high hopes for...
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I imagine there is no need to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Game of Thrones on Sunday. The same NY Times reviewer who provided the only mixed review for the show in seasons 2, 3, and 4, finally gave the show a positive review for season 5.
    Should be another awesome season. I'm really fascinated by the fact that we might get spoilers from watching the TV adaptation before the series is finished.

Plus you never know if it's a real spoiler or if the book will end up being totally different (minus the main plotlines I assume).

I might watch last season.

I forget what set me off, but since there is precious little I want to watch right now it seems like it might be worth it.

I finished my BSG rewatch (with the kids) tonight, I still think a Lost rewatch is what comes next.

If anyone has any amazeballs ideas for things I haven't watched that haven't come up in this thread recently say something.

Only two episodes into Daredevil, but I like it so far. It's tonally very different from the rest of the Marvel universe, but this works for the character. It's much less fantastic and there isn't the usual Marvel silliness, they're playing the material totally straight here. They managed to make Foggy likeable too - that's something that would have been very easy to screw up. It's might not be must-see television, but it's at least engaging and it's worked since the first episode, it managed to skip the growing pains that most series have.

I probably won't binge watch it, but I'm a bit incapacitated at the moment, so we'll see. I hope it can keep up the quality levels.

Through episode 5 now, still happy with the series. Some of the stunts that they do in the fight scenes are pretty impressive. I will agree to Aimless's assessment of Fisk though - the actor they got lacks the gravitas to play him well. Physically he's a good match, but he's too quiet and reserved to be believable as the Kingpin. He should be chewing the scenery a bit, or at least be more confident in his delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The same NY Times reviewer who provided the only mixed review for the show in seasons 2, 3, and 4, finally gave the show a positive review for season 5.
    Spent the day watching all of season 4 on HBO 2, then the premiere of Season 5. New season opened a bit slower than most of season 4, and no mention of Rattleshirt so I'm curious how long they will keep that card hidden.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm not sure they'll go in that direction here. Note the lack of a baby, mission to Oldtown, etc.

Incidentally, the first four episodes got leaked. Way to go critics.

Not sure. The show has said that they will be breaking from the books, but they have also said they will end up spoiling the books. Martin has also admitted that the end of the story is done (and that some people have already figured it out), so both camps should/could end up with the same core set of characters in the end.
    Spoiler:
    Mance just seems to be the the type of character that Martin will either use in the final showdown or murder off in some "gotcha" moment the show would need to reproduce.

I'm hoping for serious arya screentime, but not expecting it
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Finished Daredevil. I liked it. Better than this year's House of Cards season. The actual daredevil suit looks a lot better in action than it did in any of the stills, which I thought made it look pretty bad. I really hope Murdock does an Iron Man and gets a sequel series before the big Defenders team up.

I thought the links to MCU canon were interesting. This series is a lot less fantastic than the other Marvel properties, and to avoid breaking the tone they had to avoid giving any real details of the links. They always referred to it as "the incident" instead of the alien invasion when talking about what happened at the end of Avengers (which apparently smashed up Hell's Kitchen pretty bad). Just thought the way they tip-toed around things were interesting.

The lighting style wears a bit thin after a while. I think I'd have preferred it if they did something more like Arrow - where scenes are actually well lit, but still appear dark. The constant green-filtered darkness makes the series feel a bit cheaper than it actually is.

Last Episode Spoilers:
    I'm surprised they killed off Urich. I thought he'd be one of the people with plot armor. It's a shame Marvel got back the rights to Spider-man too late to have him working at the Daily Bugle, though perhaps Jameson wouldn't have been the best fit for the tone of this series. They could have made him work, but it might have been odd to then make him silly again for the third Spider-man reboot, assuming they stick with Parker instead of going for Morales.

The way Fisk's empire was toppled seemed a little too neat and easy for me at the end there. He seemed to be near the height of his power and dangerousness when he kill Urich in the penultimate episode, and the way he quickly fell after Murdock rescued that dirty cop seemed a bit too clean. I was actually hoping he'd succeed in getting away after that, just because it didn't really feel like Murdock earned his victory. Still a good episode though, and it was cool to see him finally donning the red.

Overall, recommended. It's a good series. The stunts and fight choreography are pretty amazing. I think the way they avoided using any of the overused tropes you'd expect them to abuse in a story like this cements Netflix as being a top-tier entertainment outlet, and superior to network television.

I like most of the changes GoT makes to the books, though with some it's a bit too obvious maybe that the reason for the change was not to make a better story but to spend less money.
    Congratulations America

"Video Game High School"! Clone High meets Kvothe Potter's Game... I wasn't expecting this to be the sweetest, coolest and most uplifting show on Netflix but damn original, surprising, great cast with awesome chemistry and a rocking soundtrack.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Daredevil's renewed. Season 2 in 2016.

For the most part, TV sucks time.

The Good Wife really feels like it has gone all to hell this season - I think it may be close to time for me to quit it.

Also, is anyone else doing the end of Mad Men?

Other half watches The Good Wife and loves it. Dunno how she's finding the latest series though.

Aye we're doing the end of Mad Men. Flogging a dead horse somewhat, but there may be a few drops of entertainment that can be wrought from the corpse yet.

That is if I can get over how disutrbing and wrong Roger Sterling looks with a feckin 'tache
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Game of Thrones:
    Sansa has the worst luck with arranged marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Other half watches The Good Wife and loves it. Dunno how she's finding the latest series though.

Aye we're doing the end of Mad Men. Flogging a dead horse somewhat, but there may be a few drops of entertainment that can be wrought from the corpse yet.

That is if I can get over how disutrbing and wrong Roger Sterling looks with a feckin 'tache
    Ask her - maybe something really amazing is coming in the lat couple of episodes, but it really feels like we've been spinning our wheels and nothing's doing.

Tonight's episode of Mad Men was really pretty good And yes, Roger's unfortunate facial hair makes me want to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Game of Thrones:
    Sansa has the worst luck with arranged marriages.
    Yeah no kidding... and wow they've decided to go off on a very different track from the books this season. I actually like it - keeps me on my toes.