Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rational vs. rationalizing voters

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Instead of turtling away, why not info us? What is the grand plan of the GOP that requires hating on women, gays and darker-than-paper-bags-people?
    Why bother when you refuse to either listen to anyone who disagrees with you or even do your own research? You could probably find some surveys within 5 minutes of googling.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Why? You're wrong. Yesterday I referenced that thread you made about conservatives. You said a lot of things and neither I nor anyone else registered major objections. It was well-written and if it wasn't wholly accurate, well, it did speak some truth. Those elements exist. But you persist in talking as if they're the whole.
    What is the whole, then?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Why bother when you refuse to either listen to anyone who disagrees with you or even do your own research? You could probably find some surveys within 5 minutes of googling.
    And the same does not apply to you?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

And the same does not apply to you?
    No, it doesn't. I actually have empirical and theoretical evidence to support my views.

What is the whole, then?
    Take your blinders off and find out.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

No, it doesn't. I actually have empirical and theoretical evidence to support my views.
    So it's important for the economy that faggots be denied marriage, and other human rights? Cool.

Take your blinders off and find out.
    Since you know, and I don't, how about you tell me.

Ah, blame the victim of abuse for causing it.
    I've been rather taken in with Lewk's notions of justice being defined as bad things being done to people who do bad things but this here is another illustration of why we clash so often: you are obsessed with blame. You immediately chose to interpret my explanation as blame when what I was trying to do was help you understand why I reacted the way I did. The reason I offered that explanation was because I didn't want you to raging over it to the point where you'd continue to automatically dismiss my every post (or deliberately interpret them in the worst way possible).

Believe it or not I'm a human being and react to things, sometimes before the moral computer finishes booting. If you do something and I get angry then it's good if I tell you that I got angry and why I think I got angry. Being angry is normal and okay and being able to talk about our feelings and motivations is a good strategy for damage control. What you're trying to do is make my anger illegitimate, which doesn't help anyone. It's another way to bully people is what it is.

The only group claiming anyone is evil is your left-wing clique. I did nothing more than point out that Chaloobi was wrong on demonizing the right based on incredibly faulty logic. Apparently, this is bad.
    What you did was to attack Chaloobi and ignore his faltering attempt to question his biases. You did this mercilessly and without quarter (because you denied him even the slightest chance to defend himself/save face), thus leaving room for little else but retaliation. Don't pretend to be nicer or more constructive than you were after the fact. It's another way to press people down. "I was just being nice and helpful, why are you being so mean/touchy/hysterical??"

You do this to people a lot don't you? And it works really well in real life because in real life there's no time to gather oneself after an emotional outburst due to being mercilessly hounded. Sucks for you that we're in a setting where we can easily gather ourselves and continue the conversation without conceding anything to your tactic of feigning integrity and decency.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Continue to rationalize your support for abuse. I don't think there's anything more to say to you.

Well, Dread seems Republican enough but he seems to love black gay marriage. He may have an odd way of showing it, but maybe that's the best you can expect in a two-party nation. I'm sure if there were a third powerful party that was Republican minus the racist homophobia he and many others would vote for that party, but as it is he's forced to take the bad with the good.

As for Republicans being the ignorant party: http://www.livescience.com/8067-surv...democrats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Well, Dread seems Republican enough but he seems to love black gay marriage. He may have an odd way of showing it, but maybe that's the best you can expect in a two-party nation. I'm sure if there were a third powerful party that was Republican minus the racist homophobia he and many others would vote for that party, but as it is he's forced to take the bad with the good.
    Dread, like me, is registered Democrat *or was last time it came up* And I got the impression that he actually crossed party lines less than I did. Of course, while we're both from so-called "blue" states, he's from NYC and I'm from a rural dairy town so we're often dealing with somewhat different faces of those parties.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

If only...

What were you getting that advanced degree in? I forget whether it was something for biology or something for physics. Why don't you tell me everything I don't know about science. Or maybe I should just, you know, try to actually examine the world around me with an at least slightly open mind.

Continue to rationalize your support for abuse. I don't think there's anything more to say to you.
    Like I said, there are good reasons why you so often clash with normal human beings even on the internet. You can't accept people as people, and this leads to anger on your part. But hopefully you can understand how mercilessly provoking someone can lead to an angry outburst. And, with some time and guidance you can hopefully see when you've been provoking someone.

People (even you) make mistakes (such as misunderstanding posts) and do bad things (such as baiting posters) and that isn't something to be ashamed of. To be able to live with people we need a healthy attitude towards mistakes and other failures. If you don't have that, you can't back out of these things in a good way and neither can you let others escape punishment for what you see as their failures. Is that the only way the world can be, in your view?

There are many ways to do things. Avoidance and punishment are just two ways. Pick some others please.

Dread, like me, is registered Democrat *or was last time it came up* And I got the impression that he actually crossed party lines less than I did. Of course, while we're both from so-called "blue" states, he's from NYC and I'm from a rural dairy town so we're often dealing with somewhat different faces of those parties.
    See, this is the sort of thing that puzzles me. What does it really mean to be a "registered Democrat"? In practice I mean.

I'd take you seriously if you applied the same standard to the right as you did to your own clique (or to yourself for that matter): http://www.theworldforgotten.com/showthread.php?t=1911

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Holy crap this is the first I've heard about this rising menace...

See, this is the sort of thing that puzzles me. What does it really mean to be a "registered Democrat"? In practice I mean.
    It means that unless there's an open primary, you can only vote in Democratic primaries.

I'd take you seriously if you applied the same standard to the right as you did to your own clique (or to yourself for that matter): http://www.theworldforgotten.com/showthread.php?t=1911
    There are 14 posts in that thread, you'll have to be more specific as to which aspects you take issue with.

As for holding myself to the same standards, I am extremely tolerant of my own mistakes and my angry outbursts have you ever known me to be ashamed about making mistakes or getting angry?

But tbh sometimes I do find it difficult to concede things without "losing face" but I am extremely tolerant of that as well. I am only human after all, and it takes a while to master the fear of shame in a hostile environment such as this one.

It means that unless there's an open primary, you can only vote in Democratic primaries.
    That looks almost like a brilliant way to either sabotage or to fundamentally alter a party.

Hmmm. It's also a bit weird, does this mean that American voters are forced to choose between either voting in the Democratic primaries or in the Republican primaries (as well as open primaries)?

If Lewk had the same outburst that your clique has on a regular basis, you'd all be calling for his head (not that him not having such an outburst prevented such calls from occurring).

The main functionality is that if something is limited by party *like many primaries* it determines who you're participating with. Aside from tactically "gaming the system" *which most people don't do* it's akin to a statement of general principles "I agree with these guys more than I agree with other guys." Since both parties are fairly amorphous and incredibly general in their principles, that mostly translates to "I strongly favor a few areas where these guys have a better presence than other guys." Most importantly for the response I made to you, Democrat is a label for someone in the Democratic party, Republican is a label for someone in the GOP, and you can't accurately call someone in the Democratic party a Republican. It is literally incorrect.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    If Lewk had the same outburst that your clique has on a regular basis, you'd all be calling for his head (not that him not having such an outburst prevented such calls from occurring).
    Oh, please stop your hypocrisy Mr. "I don't answer questions unless I can twist them".

The main functionality is that if something is limited by party *like many primaries* it determines who you're participating with. Aside from tactically "gaming the system" *which most people don't do* it's akin to a statement of general principles "I agree with these guys more than I agree with other guys." Since both parties are fairly amorphous and incredibly general in their principles, that mostly translates to "I strongly favor a few areas where these guys have a better presence than other guys." Most importantly for the response I made to you, Democrat is a label for someone in the Democratic party, Republican is a label for someone in the GOP, and you can't accurately call someone in the Democratic party a Republican. It is literally incorrect.
    If his views are actually Republican, I don't see why it should not be allowed to call a spade a spade. Unless you're trying to tell us that saying a thing does actually make it so.

Then again, Lewk does the same thing: He calls himself a Christian when in reality he's anything but.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I applaud you for voicing disagreement without resorting to flames. Must be the first time I've seen that happen here.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I applaud you for voicing disagreement without resorting to flames. Must be the first time I've seen that happen here.
    And I applaud you for trolling while making it look like you're not. Good job!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    If his views are actually Republican, I don't see why it should not be allowed to call a spade a spade. Unless you're trying to tell us that saying a thing does actually make it so.
    There are actually terms for people who have a political label which doesn't seem to fit. RINO, Republican-in-name-only is probably the most well-known. But seeing how Dread's political positions are pretty much those of a pro-business Democrat *pro-gay rights, appreciates affirmative action, non-religious, anti-death penalty, should I go on?* they don't really fit him.

This is extremely unfortunate, I was looking forward to "DINO Dread" but thanks for the clarification. I must admit I'm finding the labels "democrat" and "republican" less and less useful.

This is extremely unfortunate, I was looking forward to "DINO Dread" but thanks for the clarification. I must admit I'm finding the labels "democrat" and "republican" less and less useful.
    If you're looking for a short-hand of what someone thinks politically, then yeah, they're pretty limited. They're more useful for talking about groups of people but even then, it only carries so far *which is where Nessus goes wrong, IMO* Subsets are neither the individual nor the whole and vice versa.

Terminology is limited because we have a two-party dominant system. No one knows where to put the millions of Independents or Undeclared voters.

Dread strikes me as a Log Cabin Republican more than his claim to be a "Democrat".