Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Cancels Prom Over Lesbians

All four years of my high school had same sex prom dates, I remember 8th grade had a same sex couple too. No one gave a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Ah, but they didn't have the prom, so no rights were violated. Everyone loses.
    The student and the ACLU are suing because they disagree with you. The school may have actually screwed itself on this end, they denied her the right to wear a tux before they decided to cancel prom.

A hotel owner in New Orleans has also offered to bus, and host, the school's prom in New Orleans at one of his hotels. Which is what the school board wanted someone to foot the bill for in the first place.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Really? Children with behavioral problem can be allowed to stay in school but not allowed to go to the prom as punishment.
    That's not a GROUP, Loki. Those are individuals. And it's a punishment stemming from an action by said individual, not an innate, unchangeable attribute.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post

What kind of moronic legislation is that? Different degrees of discrimination? Geeze, guys, either something is discriminating or it isn't. And that is one are where federal law should trump state law.

Unless you guys want to look like segregation country from before the civil war again.
    Yes, discrimination is discrimination, but the practice of laying out particular "protected" groups/categories, i.e. ones where any differentiation is assumed to be invidious until proven otherwise, ends up being far more effective at stopping the undesired behaviors, and much more efficient for the legal process in general. The focus has helped turn things around, for blacks, for women, etc. rather faster than probably would have happened otherwise. The legal system being what it is, though, it naturally ends up giving rise to an *inaccurate* school of thought that thinks anything toward a group not specifically mentioned is allowed. And they still have to make a legal challenge the hard way.

And federal anti-discrimination law is all either targeted toward specific groups *and homosexuality has not yet made the list* or specific areas of endeavor *wages, access to education, housing, etc.* This is deliberate, discrimination law is something the federal government would really rather the states handle. Congress tends to avoid stepping in except when states are actually promoting discrimination against particular groups, when the discrimination problem is fairly systemic, or when it involves directly-granted federal funds.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

For some reason I could hear duelling banjo's playing while reading the OP...
    Such is Life...

Hate breeds hate

Parents at the school have organised to hold a private prom at a furniture shop in nearby Tupelo, as the school suggested. Ms McMillen has not been invited.

Damn. That's kind of too far...really on the line because it's private, but the school advocating for a private prom seems a lot like incitement/state-sponsored social exclusion.

The girl's suit won in the fact that a judge has agreed that the school violated her rights, but because of the private event, and the judge's belief that all students are invited, the school won't be forced to reinstate its prom plans.
    The next stage includes the damages and attorney fees. I really think the damages are going to be influenced by if this girl gets to go to prom or not.

Agreed -- if the school lets people promote this private prom in any way on school grounds, it's basically school-sponsored exclusion.

Front page of CNN

Walking into school Wednesday morning was not easy for Constance McMillen. The last time she'd been there was March 11, the day after her Fulton, Mississippi, high school canceled prom rather than allow her to wear a tuxedo and attend with her girlfriend.
    She didn't assume last week's spring break would cool things down. She expected stares, dirty looks and cold shoulders, and passing through the doors was daunting. Over these last two weeks, she said, she's had a hard time sleeping, can barely eat, feels anxious and -- until she saw a doctor for help -- often felt like she was "going to throw up."
    "I've been very nervous about all of this," the 18-year-old Itawamba Agricultural High School senior said. "I don't like being somewhere where everyone hates me."
    McMillen's name made national headlines when she, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union, filed suit against her school and the Itawamba County School District, asking them to reinstate prom for everyone, without discrimination. A federal judge in Mississippi ruled Tuesday that while he wouldn't force the school to have a prom, which had originally been scheduled for April 2, he agreed that McMillen's First Amendment rights had been violated.
    That was good news, said her attorney, Christine Sun, senior counsel with the ACLU's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender project. It set a precedent and helped broadcast an important statement, which was made stronger by virtue of where it came from, she said.
    "We're in a conservative area of the country, where people tend to think we can do what we like," said Sun, who lives in New York but has traveled multiple times to Mississippi for this legal push. "This case sends a strong message that that's not going to fly anymore."
    The only pending issue, Sun said, is the question of damages and the ACLU's request for attorneys' fees. An amended complaint to seek a quick resolution on this should be filed in the next 30 days, she said.
    Meantime, McMillen is trying to find her new normal.
    In many ways, she stands in an awkward balance. Though there are some people who support her in Fulton (population about 4,000), the overarching tension and what she described as "hostility" that she feels at school and in her community is in deep contrast to the reception and groundswell of support that's overwhelmed her nationally.
    As a poster child for the rights of LGBT students, she's been asked to jump on airplanes to appear on news programs and talk shows. The Facebook fan page "Let Constance Take Her Girlfriend to Prom!" had attracted more than 414,000 fans as of Friday morning. Wealthy individuals, including Ellen DeGeneres, have offered to pay for a prom for her school. She's received a $30,000 college scholarship from an anonymous donor and Tonic.com, a digital media company in New York that's also offered her a summer internship. She's even been invited to high school proms in cities she's never visited.
    "It means a lot to me," she said of the outreach from others. "The amount of support helps me to continue with the fight."
    But all McMillen, who came out as a lesbian in eighth grade, ever wanted was to go to her school prom with her class, and with her girlfriend. Going to another school's prom, while a nice offer, doesn't make any sense to her.
    Parents at her school are reportedly planning a "ball" for the same night that prom was intended. McMillen said she's still trying to find out if she's free to attend with her girlfriend. She won't go otherwise.
    She never meant to be a spoiler for others when she sought approval to bring her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo, she said. She thought she was doing the right thing by asking in advance, since the school had stipulated in a February memo that dates must be of the opposite sex. Rather than give her permission, the school canceled the prom.
    McMillen said she's learning who her "true friends" are. They're the ones who respect her for taking a stance, defend her when others talk trash about her, don't turn their backs when she approaches and aren't afraid to be seen with her. Her girlfriend, too, has remained a constant support, even though she herself hasn't gone public. McMillen also said she's blessed to have family members who shore her up even if they don't all feel comfortable with her sexual orientation.
    "My grandmother doesn't believe in it [same-sex relationships] but still stands behind me no matter what," McMillen said, her southern drawl thick. "She's a conservative Christian but respects that it's my life. She doesn't think discrimination of any kind is right."
    Whether she intended to or not, McMillen has inspired others -- not just nationally but in her home state, said Izzy Pellegrine, 19, a student at Mississippi State University.
    "I thought for a long time I was the only gay person in the state of Mississippi," said Pellegrine, who came out at 15 and went to high school about 1½ hours from where McMillen lives.
    McMillen's actions speak for others who feel unable to speak for themselves, said Pellegrine, who's a founding board member of the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition, which helped connect McMillen with the ACLU. The grass-roots organization seeks to protect the interests of LGBT youth and will host a "second chance prom" on May 8, an event Pellegrine estimated may attract as many as 500 students, thanks in large part to the way McMillen's fight empowers others.
    "Usually Mississippi is 10 or 20 years behind," Pellegrine said. "For Mississippi to be spearheading the LGBT student movement is unheard of. I, personally, and my co-workers are so proud to have it happen in our state," where "queer flight," the compulsion to leave as soon as one is able, is rampant, she said.
    As for where life will take McMillen after graduation, she isn't yet sure. She's still thinking about that summer internship offer in New York and is pretty certain she'll attend Itawamba Community College for a couple years before going to one of her dream schools, Southern Mississippi State University or UCLA. What she does know is she'd like to study and possibly pursue a career in psychology.
    "I like helping people, and I like talking to people about their problems," she said. "I find the human mind and human behavior very interesting."
    Fuck. that. town.

Why haven't Internet vigilantes carpet-bombed their facebooks or something already? Get on with it, 'Anon'
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

True, I'm surprised. Though there's certainly plenty of homophobia amongst Internet trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Why haven't Internet vigilantes carpet-bombed their facebooks or something already? Get on with it, 'Anon'
    Because that could conceivably have been construed as a good thing. Constructive, almost, which is just antithetical to their lack of values.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

shes a lesbian, its tits or GTFO

Like I said earlier, fuck this town.
    The prom the school district promised at the country club in Fulton was a ruse. Only seven kids, Constance, and her date showed, and at the same time, everyone else held a “real” prom at a secret location out in the county.
    Article:

Constance McMillen, the brave lesbian teenager whose story we have all followed for the last month, has been played by the homophobic school district of Itawamba Mississippi yet again.
    For those of you who haven’t been following this story, let me give it to you in a nutshell. Constance McMillen wanted to take a same sex date to her prom and wear a tux. Her school decided to cancel the prom instead of letting her attend as an out lesbian and blamed Constance, thus alienating her from her peers and their parents. The Itawamba School District invited parents to hold a private prom, that presumably Constance would not be invited too. Although Constance suffered homophobic attacks from members of her own community, she gained the support of the LGBT community and brought a suit against her school district for their discriminatory actions. While the Court did not find that the school district had to reinstate the prom, they did rule that Constance HAD to be invited to any private prom that would take place.
    Back to present day: the school district attorney invited Constance and all the other students to a prom at the country club in Fulton, on Friday April 2nd. because of the low turn out and from sources in the area, LGR has found out that there was a “real prom” held for the school’s straight, popular students. The rumor is that school officials were directly involved in this ruse.
    It is unclear whether it will be possible for the Court to find that the school district violated their ruling by not acting in good faith. Let’s hope that these bigots get what they deserve from our justice system.

wow. wtf.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Like I said earlier, fuck this town.

Article:

Constance McMillen, the brave lesbian teenager whose story we have all followed for the last month, has been played by the homophobic school district of Itawamba Mississippi yet again.
    For those of you who haven’t been following this story, let me give it to you in a nutshell. Constance McMillen wanted to take a same sex date to her prom and wear a tux. Her school decided to cancel the prom instead of letting her attend as an out lesbian and blamed Constance, thus alienating her from her peers and their parents. The Itawamba School District invited parents to hold a private prom, that presumably Constance would not be invited too. Although Constance suffered homophobic attacks from members of her own community, she gained the support of the LGBT community and brought a suit against her school district for their discriminatory actions. While the Court did not find that the school district had to reinstate the prom, they did rule that Constance HAD to be invited to any private prom that would take place.
    Back to present day: the school district attorney invited Constance and all the other students to a prom at the country club in Fulton, on Friday April 2nd. because of the low turn out and from sources in the area, LGR has found out that there was a “real prom” held for the school’s straight, popular students. The rumor is that school officials were directly involved in this ruse.
    It is unclear whether it will be possible for the Court to find that the school district violated their ruling by not acting in good faith. Let’s hope that these bigots get what they deserve from our justice system.
    <shrug>

So? What's the big deal?

I really don't see how this is any different from everything else that happens at every high school in America. Oh, right, it's super-heinous and unfair when people discriminate against teh h0m0s or tha niggas, but excluding the smart kids or the drama geeks (etc) is completely acceptable SOP.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

When were drama geeks systematically excluded from their prom?

It wasn't as bad at the teen killed when he asked out a guy from the football team to prom.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    I can't believe that I was born in that bassackwards state.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

When were drama geeks systematically excluded from their prom?
    Point being that exclusion and cruelty is just part of [American] high school, whether you're part of a federally protected class or not.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Point should be to grow beyond such petty fear. Even though some people would rather excuse these things with rhetoric and cliche. That's just how it is in high school, doesn't work. dirty tricks and deception on the part of educators is gross abuse of authority. It sends the message that it's okay to treat people you don't agree with, disrespectfully. If the school wanted to cancel the prom, for whatever reason, it's their right. But doing this, they should have stayed out of any future planning of a private prom. I don't agree that the judge had the authority to order the promoters of a private function to invite anyone they didn't want there, except that it seems the school was involved, making it a "school function". My point, as I stated, is that we must grow up and get over ourselves. U.S. I'm looking at you, well not all of you.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Point being that exclusion and cruelty is just part of [American] high school, whether you're part of a federally protected class or not.
    Yeah, but never on this kind of scale. It's basically institutionalized at this point, which is why the lawyers are involved.

Yeah, but never on this kind of scale.
    You know, if I were black, I might find that statement incredibly insulting.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

Eh? I was saying there's never been an institutionalized exclusion of video lab nerds from school proms.

Eh? I was saying there's never been an institutionalized exclusion of video lab nerds from school proms.
    Well not because they were lab nerds, at least. But what does it matter if you're excluded because of [federally protected class], or if you're excluded because of [federally unprotected class]?

All this concern about the poor lesbian who got excluded from prom is bullshit PC circle-jerking that ignores the fact that public high schools systematically exclude and discriminate against all manner of people who *don't* enjoy federal protected class status (and do so with surprising regularity). My high school barred a few dozen kids from the prom, based on the clique they were in, under the guise of "safety" (can't have a fight between the popular kids and this clique or that clique), but the real reason was that the football team and the cheerleaders just didn't want those people at the prom, and the school administration was happy to oblige.

So, you tell me - better, worse or exactly fucking the same as being banned for lesbian-ness?

and I'm saying that's bullshit rationalizing. Just because it happens and has happened before does not make it acceptable. we are supposed to teaching our kids to exceed what we were or are. Not perpetuate hate, and discrimination.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

@Cain, it's not the same at all. Behavior (and whether it constitutes grounds for banning someone from prom) is a pretty subjective area. Lesbianism is kinda less subjective. No one buys films and sells videos of high school kids misbehaving.

@Cain, it's not the same at all. Behavior (and whether it constitutes grounds for banning someone from prom) is a pretty subjective area. Lesbianism is kinda less subjective. No one buys films and sells videos of high school kids misbehaving.
    So, banning someone from the prom because the cool kids don't like lesbians is completely different than banning someone from the prom because the cool kids don't like goths?

Looks like we're just not gonna agree on this.

Yeah, discrimination according to race and/or sexuality is exactly the same as Sandy not offering to blow every guy in the VR club, because FEDS FEDS FEDS

Could you at least try and be less of a stereotypical, shrill right-wing ding-bat, Kane? I'm so sorry your tax dollars have been used to try to reduce open hostility towards minorities by fucking positions of authority instead of giving the jocks a fucking brothel service next to the cafeteria. Those feds are fucking monsters, they are
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.