Page 33 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

He is an idiot. Sometimes the easiest answer is the right one.
    Hope is the denial of reality

But why should neighboring states pay the price for Kemp's idiocy?

Apparently, he was trying to suck up to Trump and Trump told him the plan was a great idea.

https://apnews.com/a031d395d414ffa655fdc65e6760d6a0

Last edited by Steely Glint; 04-25-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The best part of this is the anguish Lewk is feeling over wanting to post the asinine defense of Trump's moronic statements last night but seeing no way to do it without exposing himself to risk of savage mockery of his own stupidity.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Lewk is worried about looking stupid?

He's growing as a person if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

But remember y'all the man who wants you to inject yourself with bleach is somehow qualified to appoint "good judges"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The USA got to be the cowboy...

USA Cowboys Make Another Mistake
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Cc cowboys
    (cc = coca-cola)

The uv-c idea was kind of inventive though. Too bad it wasn't a feasible idea since it damages the lung tissue too much.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Does anyone think people in Georgia are going to rush to gyms, nail salons, hair stylists/barbers, tattoo parlors, bowling alleys, restaurants and movie theaters just because they open before the recommended date? I'm sure some people will...but business won't magically return to normal.

If anything it could put workers in a bind since they can't continue to get unemployment if they've "refused" to return to work, even at reduced hours or pay, once the closure mandates are lifted. (Not sure if exceptions are given for covid19 -- that probably varies by state.)

And what happens when people on border states (with higher restrictions) travel across state lines to have a spa day, dine-in at a restaurant, take in a movie...and drive back home...likely bringing germs with them? That basically nullifies the stay-at-home orders altogether, rather like people crossing state lines to buy guns, and defeats the whole purpose of prevention. It will also make contact tracing more difficult.

I don't understand why some states can ignore science -- and even WH task force guidelines -- that put neighboring states at risk. <Kemp's orders won't even let localities have stricter policies, so much for local control.> It's not like the virus recognizes political boundaries or state lines. So what's *really* happening here?
    For the record I think Georgia is moving prematurely however you got to decide what you want to see make the call on these things. The National Government or the State Government. Pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The National Government or the State Government. Pick.
    Kinda hard to do with Mr. Wishy-Washy expressing diametric stances one minute to the next.

For the record I think Georgia is moving prematurely however you got to decide what you want to see make the call on these things. The National Government or the State Government. Pick.
    Why not local governments, whom Kemp is consistently overruling?

When your brain is a whole fuckin' galaxy:

You mean obesity isn't caught by viral person to person transmission? If it and ignorance were it would explain so much about modern America.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Huge if true:

This is a little off topic except that it makes me feel a little optimistic...
    Sunset to Daylight

https://nypost.com/2020/04/26/scienc...lockdowns/amp/

"When states and hospitals abruptly stopped “nonessential” procedures and surgery, that didn’t mean unimportant care. Treatments for the most serious illnesses, including emergency care, were missed. Some estimate about half of cancer patients deferred chemotherapy. Approximately 80 percent of brain surgery cases were skipped. Perhaps half or more of acute stroke and heart-attack *patients missed their only chances for early treatment, some dying and many now facing permanent disability. Transplants from living donors are down 85 percent from the same period last year.

And that doesn’t include the skipped cancer screenings, avoided childhood vaccinations, missed biopsies of now-undiscovered cancers numbering thousands per week — and countless other serious disorders left undiagnosed."

On a personal note a family member who needed (and still needs) surgery couldn't get one scheduled due to this Covid shit even though Texas hasn't been hard hit. The all or nothing stupidity is particularly galling. Making hospitals empty "just in case" is asinine. Obviously places like NYC and New Orleans should cancel all but the most critical of surgeries but many hospitals have only a handful of cases.

Those were state government decisions -- Gov. Abbott suspended elective procedures in Texas. But it was the right thing to do since PPE was in short supply, and hospitals didn't know yet what the tipping point would be. The goal was to protect hospital workers and not overwhelm patient capacity. Not to mention potential liability exposure if people got infected AT the hospital.

His new orders to re-open supersedes local control, so why aren't you bitching about that?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/polit...rus/index.html

Since I'm bored, I'll take issue with Lewk's New York Post article:

States didn't abruptly stop "nonessential" hospital procedures but *elective* procedures. They didn't close Emergency Departments or furlough paramedics/EMTs or ambulance services. If people didn't call 911 for symptoms of stroke or heart attack...it was likely because they feared getting covid-19 IN the hospital setting. That's a human behavior issue for PSAs and public education.

There's a difference between general cancer screenings and "diagnostic testing" (biopsies, xrays). Also, most chemotherapy is done on an out-patient basis, and that includes home infusions. If patients were deferring chemo....it was probably because they worried that caretakers could infect them (because they have contact with multiple patients, but not the necessary PPE).

Organ transplants are also down because there are fewer accidents when people stay-at-home; less driving means fewer car accidents, etc.

Parents who don't get their kids vaccinated might also fall into the "anti-vaxxer" crowd. It's a problem, for sure. But that's also a human behavior issue that PSAs and public education can address.

Lewk, your complaints about this "Covid shit" aren't validated by this one poorly written article. What you want to blame on teh big bad gummint is really about the Insurance industry and lobbyists buying political influence, science be damned, profits over people.

And you can't muse about the wisdom of the Swedish freeedom model when we don't have their NHS or high-taxes that fund it.
    Last edited by GGT; 04-28-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Trump is hazardous to human health.

Its not scientific, I'm not a disease expert. But I guess we'll find out the final death total in America and bounce it off the flu death total and see the impact. Impossible to say at this point with certainty but if I were putting money on it I would say fewer deaths than the flu.
    Just goes to show how being dependent on the government to get things right doesn't work out too well. :0 And I STILL think we are in overreaction mode and that the China Corona-virus will kill less people in America than the flu will this year. Gonna be a hella annoyed if a couple of events I wanted to get to this year get cancelled.
    On January 15, 2010, the CDC released new estimate figures for swine flu, saying it has sickened about 55 million Americans and killed about 11,160 from April through mid-December.[129] On February 12, 2010, the CDC released updated estimate figures for swine flu, reporting that, in total, 57 million Americans had been sickened, 257,000 had been hospitalised and 11,690 people had died (including 1,180 children) due to swine flu from April through to mid-January.[130]"

So y'all can go fuck yourselves. Either I'm correct and y'all were fuck tards for challenging me on it or you admit the CDC is a pile of shit with their reporting and it goes back to my point about how government is always inefficient. Pick one.
    Generous estimate of the average annual number of flu deaths in the US for the past five years is roughly 42,000 per year (towards the higher end of estimates). Official covid death toll in the US now over 56,000 (not counting probably tens of thousands of deaths that have not been correctly attributed to covid due to lack of testing). So I now feel confident about choosing option C: Lewk is a dumbass.

You're a dumbass, Lewk. Sorry mate, that's just how this played out.

Maybe he's angling for a show on Fox.

On a personal note a family member who needed (and still needs) surgery couldn't get one scheduled due to this Covid shit even though Texas hasn't been hard hit. The all or nothing stupidity is particularly galling. Making hospitals empty "just in case" is asinine. Obviously places like NYC and New Orleans should cancel all but the most critical of surgeries but many hospitals have only a handful of cases.
    1) As seen by Florida, if you shut down one state all those people do is flee to other states that haven't taken proper precautions.
    2) A good number of surgeries are performed by traveling doctors, so even if your hospital is "empty" (which is a bullshit claim), doesn't mean you're going to have the staff on hand to continue a normal schedule. My mom's throat and mouth doctor was in his local office 5 days a month.
    3) Our for profit healthcare system is forcing hospitals to furlough workers so they can weather the curve when it does arrive.
    4) You're an idiot.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Factor two difference is pretty much in line with previous numbers, and with other countries right? Not sure why those numbers surprise him.

Also that number for excess death, 27015.. that's very exact for an estimated number
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That's not an estimate it's the published figure from the ONS of registered deaths minus the average regular deaths for that week. That's why it only goes until weeks ago, because it takes time for registrations to be recorded. An average of four days but can take longer.

Those deaths won't all necessarily be due to the virus because the baseline is just an average and there is natural variance. Plus deaths caused by the lockdown like suicides and domestic violence deaths which are tragically up will fall within that but those deaths while still tragedies are relatively small in number so it's a reasonable approximation.