Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump Tariffs

Default Trump Tariffs

20% on imported steel, 10% on imported aluminum. It was part of his "Make America Great Again" campaign. That got him elected, beginning with the RNC/GOP that nominated him as party leader. Oops?

I seriously think that the people who think this is really about him being angry about not being able to use the 'get out of NAFTA-card' to pressure Canada and Mexico into subservience have nailed it.
    Congratulations America

If so, that's a crazy way to "lead". Maybe it was timed to influence PA's special election tomorrow, who knows?

I think Trump is stuck in the 80's, doesn't know much about history or policy-making, and views gov't like any other business deal (or reality TV show production). Or his personality traits (impulsive, emotional, egotistical) are "leading", which is just as crazy.

China is responding with $3 billion tariffs on its US imports. They spend ~$1 billion just from our pork-producing states, which mostly voted for Trump.

If this isn't officially an international Trade War, then what is it?

Should have titled this Trump Tweets Twisted Tariffs and Trade Tirades

So, after he threatened import tariffs on steel and aluminum, China called his bluff and threatened tariffs on US soybeans and pork, right? All sorts of countries were looking for special exemptions.

NOW he's tweeting about bringing back jobs to ZTE! *China's #2 telecom that was sanctioned and fined for selling to Iran and North Korea, and its products banned from military bases for NATIONAL SECURITY reasons*! And he's 'instructing' Sec. of Commerce to "get it done", after already imposing sanctions and fines for its bad acts.

But wait, there's more! This tariff retaliation goes beyond "negotiating" trade deals! Trump Org. was expecting a $500 million loan from Chinese banks for an interest in MNC Lido City in Jakarta (Trump golf course, Trump hotel branding). This is type of tit-for-tat isn't just ridiculous and obscene, it's dangerous. POTUS is actively intervening in law enforcement to satisfy a foreign government, and it's probably another example of violating the Emoluments Clause. Where the hell is oversight from congress?

I don't think this is going to generate much discussion. I don't think a single person on this board thinks Trump is doing right with his BS tariffs.

Apparently some think his tariff policy was worth it, you know, to own the libs.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Apparently some think his tariff policy was worth it, you know, to own the libs.
    On the balance still better than Clinton. Barring nuclear war its hard to overstate how important the SCOTUS pick was. Or the tax cuts. Or the cutting of red tape and getting rid of bad regs. And yes, the tears of liberals.

Lewk, the more you try to explain why you think the erosion of core norms, US influence etc were worth it, the dumber and more degenerate you look. Just a heads up.

Lewk, the more you try to explain why you think the erosion of core norms, US influence etc were worth it, the dumber and more degenerate you look. Just a heads up.
    You don't really seem to understand how critical that justice pick was. There were a number of 5-4 decisions in the last few years where Scalia was the 5th vote. Replace him with a liberal and the decisions would swing the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I don't think this is going to generate much discussion. I don't think a single person on this board thinks Trump is doing right with his BS tariffs.
    On the balance still better than Clinton. Barring nuclear war its hard to overstate how important the SCOTUS pick was. Or the tax cuts. Or the cutting of red tape and getting rid of bad regs. And yes, the tears of liberals.
    So you're willing to look the other way, and give Trump a pass on whack "trade policy" -- just like (R) in congress and other Trump apologists -- because you like some other stuff he's doing? It doesn't make sense (just like those corporate tax cuts that blew a $1 Trillion hole in our deficit). Either it's willful denial, cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, or something else. Party loyalty? That can't mean much when traditional Republican principles are being trashed. Please explain!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    So you're willing to look the other way, and give Trump a pass on whack "trade policy" -- just like (R) in congress and other Trump apologists -- because you like some other stuff he's doing? It doesn't make sense (just like those corporate tax cuts that blew a $1 Trillion hole in our deficit). Either it's willful denial, cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, or something else. Party loyalty? That can't mean much when traditional Republican principles are being trashed. Please explain!
    There is no looking the other way. Just like I didn't like Bush's medicare expansion or steel tariffs I'm never going to agree with everything a president from either party will do. I think Trump has a lot of flaws but I'm also not going to ignore the good his administration has already done.

https://www.apnews.com/b4202a97c8734...ssible-tariffs

"Trump brought a little-used weapon to his fight to protect auto workers: Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. The provision authorizes the president to restrict imports and impose unlimited tariffs on national security grounds.

The Trump administration used that authority in March to slap tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on aluminum imports. Until then, the United States had pursued only two such investigations since joining the World Trade Organization in 1995. Both times — in a 1999 case involving oil imports and a 2001 case involving iron ore and steel imports — the Commerce Department refused to recommend sanctions.

Critics fear that other countries will retaliate or use national security as a pretext to impose trade sanctions of their own."

National security reasons? He didn't care so much when it came to ZTE, which posed a real threat. This is crazy crap

Next up, the newest episode in "Trump Tariffs": Chinese tech.

https://apnews.com/426c8aa3979741f88b15ba0d22d70df7

Tariffs for their own sake/political showcasing are bad. Hitting China on intellectual property theft, dumping and forced joint ventures (subsection of intellectual property theft) actually seems like a good idea.

So how does his ZTE deal fit into hitting China?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I doubt even Pence could make such a precondition without it being either a consensus or dictated to him. But what a stupid precondition. Doesn't even help Trump.

Any Canadians able to verify the translation?

Interviews with Trudeau and foreign minister Freeland made it clear Canadians were insulted, and plan their own tariffs now. Way to go, Trump.

Isn't there some way congress can rein in a reckless president? Was all that whining Republicans made about executive overreach during Obama's tenure just BS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    That's absolutely ridiculous. If an industry can't compete it can fucking die.

Does anyone think that Trump is a better Republican POTUS than this constitutionally-barred former Governor of California would have made?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Don't ask Republicans, they're in a coma

That's absolutely ridiculous. If an industry can't compete it can fucking die.
    Unless its a private prison, you have a real fetish in keeping those things afloat.

Unless its a private prison, you have a real fetish in keeping those things afloat.
    Government shouldn't do what private companies could do better.

That being said I actually think my own policies would lead to many of them going out of business (legalizing drugs, gambling, prostitution and other victim-less crimes).

could do better.
    See, you don't actually under the concept of this word, especially in relation to rehabilitation.

------------------------

Dumbass Trump tried to justify his trade war with Canada by blaming them for burning down the White House in 1812.

what. the. fuck.

They didn't even do that. We did.

Though given more than 2 centuries have passed since I'd still say WTF even if it was said to our PM.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.