Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy now BLM?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Uh. . . allegedly weird behavior by the individual shot, claimed by a homeowner who had taken a shot at him. And of course this is Huffpo, and the Seattle Times article they cite is not exactly filled with sourced material for this narrative.
    Yes allegedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Uh. . . allegedly weird behavior by the individual shot, claimed by a homeowner who had taken a shot at him. And of course this is Huffpo, and the Seattle Times article they cite is not exactly filled with sourced material for this narrative.
    Yes allegedly.

Indeed I agree about the lack of sourced material but some people here seem happy to leap to the first conclusion. This jumps out as odd and I'd like more information: They also said Le did not comply with deputy orders, did not drop the object, and that tasers “were not effective.” So he was allegedly given orders, tasered and then shot after tasers failed? Sounds odd.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/off-duty-...152811424.html

And here's 21st century lynching. Coming home with a black boyfriend!
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/off-duty-...152811424.html

And here's 21st century lynching. Coming home with a black boyfriend!
    She wasn't even coming home.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/court...28c395941.html
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

How the hell did that get two hung verdicts?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

racism + Oklahoma. The kid was mixed. I'm surprised the prosecution managed 2 hung juries.

To add more WTF, the wife (also an officer) tried to cover and was also arrested, yet SURPRISE, was never charged.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-03-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

How the hell did that get two hung verdicts?
    All you need is 1/12 Lewks.

Thought you could convict on 10/12 if the judge permits it?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Thought you could convict on 10/12 if the judge permits it?
    I'm not aware of any such rule but if there are any jurisdictions which do have one, it would not apply for capital charges. Murder has to be unanimous.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

My mistake that's a British thing, didn't realise the States was different on that. Even for murder the judge can request a majority ruling of upto 10/12 in case there's one obstructionist on the jury. If the defendant is found guilty on a majority verdict the judge will then ask the jury if there were any dissenters so that it is known some found the defendant innocent (but not enough), if the verdict is innocent then that is not asked so as not to cloud the innocent verdict.

The best our judges can do is replace a juror if they feel they aren't putting an actual effort into deliberating or if they plan to exercise their jury nullification rights. But it's a rare thing to happen.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I've never understood how juror replacement works. Surely an alternate juror hasn't sat through the trial so how are they supposed to judge the facts?

Alternative jurors, when picked, sit through the entire trial, when it's time to deliberate they are separated until/if needed.

Wow jury duty is bad enough at the best of times if you have to put your life and work on hold weeks on end to sit through a trial. To do so without even being a proper jury member would be bloody frustrating I imagine.

I was an alternate once. Had to do everything up to deliberations about guilt. Got to skip that part.

Wow jury duty is bad enough at the best of times if you have to put your life and work on hold weeks on end to sit through a trial. To do so without even being a proper jury member would be bloody frustrating I imagine.
    Very VERY few jury trials last more than a week.

http://www.11alive.com/news/investig...erer/437061710

More of Lewk's heroes going after people for no good reason and not paying any price for their behavior. And note, the problem is not that some cops are opportunistic assholes; there are plenty of those in every profession. The problem is police departments continue to stand behind the opportunistic assholes. And the Lewks and Rands of the world continue to make excuses for both.

Very VERY few jury trials last more than a week.
    We're talking about murder trials here. I would have thought some of them would last more.

More of Lewk's heroes going after people for no good reason and not paying any price for their behavior. And note, the problem is not that some cops are opportunistic assholes; there are plenty of those in every profession. The problem is police departments continue to stand behind the opportunistic assholes. And the Lewks and Rands of the world continue to make excuses for both.
    Nothing to do with cops being assholes, the whole system is at fault there. Fix the system don't just fix an individual whose made mistakes (which will inevitably happen under any system). Field sobriety tests are one thing and given the unfortunate lack of a breathalyser for drugs it makes sense for an officer who has probable cause to think somebody is DUI to arrest them on the scene. The alternative is to do nothing and let people die due to DUI collisions and it is the people who are DUI-ing who cause this mess.

But while there is no breathalyser there are blood tests and within a day or a couple of days max the blood test results should be back. There is absolutely no reason for charges to be hanging over somebody for six months if the blood test was clear. There is no reason for charges to even be filed before the results are back.

The worst part there is not the officer on the scene it is what happened afterwards that charges were filed and not dropped for months. Charges should never have been filed without a positive blood test on top of the failed field sobriety test.

Road-side drug tests are now common-place in the UK, where a swab is taken from the inside of the mouth of the suspect, and used on a small piece of kit within which a chemical reaction in minutes denotes whether the suspect has imbibed either cannabis or cocaine.

Positive results mean the suspect is taken straight back to the custody suite where a blood sample is taken for a precise reading, which is then used for the prosecution.

In the same way that a roadside breathalyser here is only an indication of being over the prescribed limit for alcohol. A positive roadside breathalyser result means the suspect is taken straight into custody where a much more sophisticated intoximeter takes a double measurement of a sample of breath, the lower of the two measurements being used for prosecution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Far more sensible system

Was not aware of the road-side test. Should be adopted across the pond if it works well.

We're talking about murder trials here. I would have thought some of them would last more.
    You know that most of the work/time goes into the pre-trial phase?
    Congratulations America

Yes, why it can take a long time on bail before reaching trial. But a trial especially if contested with many witnesses on either side can last over a week.

Nothing to do with cops being assholes, the whole system is at fault there. Fix the system don't just fix an individual whose made mistakes (which will inevitably happen under any system).
    Except people keep insisting all cops are good and none are assholes, and treating them as such, which is particularly worrying since the system actively protects assholes rather than weed them out.

Also i thought you said earlier that the system is fine just bad apples are the problem but now the bad apples are to be expected (which I agree with) and the system should be fixed? I mean I'm definitely agreeing there's an institutional problem but I'm surprised you agree now.

Also we have the same system with swabs here but pretty recently only.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It would have to be a pretty complicated trial. Well, or it involves a lot of separate and significant charges.

Long murder trials are typically around 60 minutes long with commercial breaks.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Yes, why it can take a long time on bail before reaching trial. But a trial especially if contested with many witnesses on either side can last over a week.
    The majority of murder cases don't play out like on TV. Nor do most defenders put the kind of energy in that would cause long trials.
    Congratulations America

You know I don't support this in any way shape or form right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You know I don't support this in any way shape or form right?
    So fry 'em, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Except people keep insisting all cops are good and none are assholes, and treating them as such, which is particularly worrying since the system actively protects assholes rather than weed them out.
    Who has said that? Nobody has that I can see, and I don't see anything here to say that the officer is an asshole, he seems to be doing a difficult job with inadequate tools (eg why not use proper tests - that won't have been his decision).
    Also i thought you said earlier that the system is fine just bad apples are the problem but now the bad apples are to be expected (which I agree with) and the system should be fixed? I mean I'm definitely agreeing there's an institutional problem but I'm surprised you agree now.
    I've been saying that all along! I've been making suggestions all along like routine use of video recordings etc to improve the system rather than jump to presuming guilt unless proven innocent the second a trigger is pulled.