Thread: The cover-up is always dumber than the crime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Reportedly Pelosi has found a vertebrae or two and started talking up impeachment in private. Hopefully she'll stumble across the rest of her spine and we can get this show on the road soon. Next development expected on Thursday, the House's deadline for Trump to turn over the whistle-blower complaint.
    You think Senate will convict? I don't.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    The Republicans didn't turn on Nixon, their second most corrupt president, until it was clear how guilty he was and they were going to look like assholes if the stuck with him. Impeachment hearings are how you get there.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

They must hold hearings and swiftly proceed towards impeachment regardless of whether or not they expect the senate to convict.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I have no idea. I know they'll say they won't convict, but once their feet are held to the fire, it won't take too many Republican defections to make it happen. Trump's had support from Republican congressmen so far, but I wouldn't call it enthusiastic support, so once this becomes a public spectacle the advantages of party solidarity might get Trumped by the advantages of not getting voted out of office.

I also agree with Aimless - whether the Senate will convict shouldn't be a concern when deciding to impeach.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have no idea. I know they'll say they won't convict, but once their feet are held to the fire, it won't take too many Republican defections to make it happen. Trump's had support from Republican congressmen so far, but I wouldn't call it enthusiastic support, so once this becomes a public spectacle the advantages of party solidarity might get Trumped by the advantages of not getting voted out of office.

I also agree with Aimless - whether the Senate will convict shouldn't be a concern when deciding to impeach.
    It will take many. At least 20 out of 53. And there are as many as 4 Democrats who might vote the other way.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It will take many. At least 20 out of 53. And there are as many as 4 Democrats who might vote the other way.
    Yeah, my bad, I was thinking it was a simple majority, but there'll need to be a super majority which requires a lot more defections.