Thread: Religion

Default Re: Religion

What is the point of this thread?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

None. None whatsoever. It can be promptly deleted.

Mind virus = meme. Generations of totalitarianism would be necessary to stamp something like religion out. You would have to take the children away.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus
    What is the point of this thread?
    Was it not a satirical attempt to establish the overall position most members of the Atari CC took on religion?
    You do not become a dissident just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society.
    Havel, Vaclav

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident

Was it not a satirical attempt to establish the overall position most members of the Atari CC took on religion?
    Math's not your strongest subject, huh
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

From poking around on the Atari CC, the view I find expressed most prominently is one that leans towards a militant brand of atheism.
    You do not become a dissident just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society.
    Havel, Vaclav

From poking around on the Atari CC, the view I find expressed most prominently one that leans towards militant brand of atheism.
    Grammatical errors aside, this still does not explain how you came to the conclusion that most members of CC subscribe to this 'overall position'.

There are only a few militant atheists, quite a few normal atheists, some eminently sensible agnostics, some gentle theists and the odd militant theist.

Theres a pretty decent spread, weighted towards moderate atheism, as far as i can recall. On the forum, as in life, the extreme ends of the spectrum tend to hog the limelight.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    You would have to take the children away.
    Interesting that is followed by a "cool" emoticon.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPointer
    Interesting that is followed by a "cool" emoticon.
    I do miss the multiquote. I do.

The problem with social engineering is that human children tend to end up with similar beliefs and lifestyles of their parents even when they despised them growing up. Typically trauma is required to effect a real change. Sure, marriage and a host of circumstantial causes mean that children's lives are at least incrementally different but things like religion, typically indoctrinated at a very young and impressionalbe age, tend to stick. So if you want to eradicate it, you have to take the kids away. And that's something you'll have to kill most parents to do. So, it's the same as saying you'll never get rid of religion. Which means that what I said was really a form of dry humor, since I know better and even suggesting it is awful. So it deserved that goofy looking, evil emoticon. I don't know why they call it 'cool,' cuz its not. It looks scheming and malicious.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus
    From poking around on the Atari CC, the view I find expressed most prominently one that leans towards militant brand of atheism.
    Grammatical errors aside, this still does not explain how you came to the conclusion that most members of CC subscribe to this 'overall position'.
    Apologies for any grammatical mistakes I make. English is not my first language.

I believe Spawnie has summed up my feelings.
    Havel, Vaclav

Apologies for any grammatical mistakes I make. English is not my first language.
    Nor is it mine.

I believe Spawnie has summed up my feelings.
    You actually said something rather different, though

Religion is belief of multiple concepts and we may or may not know much about God.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBullet
    ...and we may or may not know much about God.
    Where does our knowledge of God originate?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Being
    Where does our knowledge of God originate?
    Magic 8 ball.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBullet
    Religion is belief of multiple concepts and we may or may not know much about God.
    what
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    I do miss the multiquote. I do.

The problem with social engineering is that human children tend to end up with similar beliefs and lifestyles of their parents even when they despised them growing up. Typically trauma is required to effect a real change. Sure, marriage and a host of circumstantial causes mean that children's lives are at least incrementally different but things like religion, typically indoctrinated at a very young and impressionalbe age, tend to stick. So if you want to eradicate it, you have to take the kids away. And that's something you'll have to kill most parents to do. So, it's the same as saying you'll never get rid of religion. Which means that what I said was really a form of dry humor, since I know better and even suggesting it is awful. So it deserved that goofy looking, evil emoticon. I don't know why they call it 'cool,' cuz its not. It looks scheming and malicious.
    My parents are Christian, but I'm an athiest..
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897

My parents are Christian, but I'm an athiest..
    You poor child. What did they do to you?
    The Rules