16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

1 6.25%
  • Bad

10 62.50%
  • Little Fuzzy

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you want the Facebook crap here?

Default Do you want the Facebook crap here?

Apparently we're trying to get new members through Facebook now.

Facebook is dumb shit, for dumb and shitty people.

I'd rather not have "like" links on every thread. One sees enough of that horse-shit on news websites and other places where it's not warranted. If you think your teeny-boppy, vapid friends would enjoy posting here, link them to the place yourself instead of pulling this passive-aggressive Web Two Point Naught jackassery by "liking" things on strange web-sites.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

This is a path to new membership. This helps us get better search rankings, and it's an easy way for people to broadcast widely to their friends without sending out a bunch of links in a somewhat awkward manner.

Nobody needs to use the functionality, and I don't really see why it'd be a big deal if it's there. Nobody's forced to use it, afterall. But if people really want it gone, it'd only take a click.

edit: Facebook is primarily college students, IIRC. MySpace is the teeny-bopper one.

I'd like to hear wraith's rationale first, but I'd also like the option of disabling the facebook stuff if possible.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Oh please.

Every kid in middle school has a facebook account.

I think people prefer some slight pretense of privacy. Linking facebook with the forums kills that.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Nobody needs to use the functionality, and I don't really see why it'd be a big deal if it's there. Nobody's forced to use it, afterall. But if people really want it gone, it'd only take a click.
    If we have to placate the vapid socialite jackasses with this, could you at least format it a bit differently?

I know, I know, "get a real computer lol", but :/
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Yeah, I can fix that. Sorry, only looked at it with classic blue and default.

Facebook has 500 million members. It's demographic is far from middle schoolers and college students. All this does is allows people to sign up if they use Facebook connect. I personally don't, but there are some who prefer using it so they don't fill out yet another registration form.

This has potential upside and really no downside as far as I see.

Sure, there's no potential downside to connecting these forums to your real name, enabling your employers to discover everything you drunk-post at 3am on a work night.

On the bright side, it doesn't seem to link your facebook account with this place unless you want it to. At least, it looks like that, which is a relief.

Yeah, it's opt-in. Should even let you opt-right back out again if you want too. I'll admit I haven't actually tested everything fully though; I don't use that facebook crap.

At least put the button only on the registration page so we don't have to see it there constantly.

<Ominous>sticks out, too loud
    <Ominous>and i've come to hate that button
    <Ominous>sorry, but i'm not telling my high school classmates (what/that) i post there

The button really does stick out, if you can make the blue transparent then it would certainly be more minxie-friendly

Sorry, but considering this site doesn't even have a real name listed on its whois information, requesting this much seems a little over the top. Granted I don't have all that much knowledge of facebook data mining, but who gets access to this info, and is there a way to reduce what you are collecting? Or is this the best we can get, treating it as a one way friend accept?

Only the site itself, not any of the users here. Any real facebook integration is basically impossible without gaining access to that information due to the way facebook is setup (all their stuff hangs off your name). It is all strictly opt-in, though.
    Last edited by Wraith; 08-02-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Apparently we're trying to get new members through Facebook now.

Facebook is dumb shit, for dumb and shitty people.

I'd rather not have "like" links on every thread. One sees enough of that horse-shit on news websites and other places where it's not warranted. If you think your teeny-boppy, vapid friends would enjoy posting here, link them to the place yourself instead of pulling this passive-aggressive Web Two Point Naught jackassery by "liking" things on strange web-sites.
    I'm fine with it. Hell, I'm on Facebook, though I never use it (I seriously hate Facebook). Guess who got me on through an invite? My mother. No shit. Hardly the teenies, btw...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I killed it for now. I reserve the right to try to sneak it back in later in a slightly less obvious form.

I may also add reddit and digg links to the front page cms articles out of spite.

Grazie.

Why not leave it until something terrible happens, then nix it?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Why not leave it until something terrible happens, then nix it?
    Because you touch yourself at night

'cuz I'm too lazy to do any more style work right now - I had more than my fill yesterday. The main complaint just seems to be that it's a little too conspicuous. I doubt we would lose anything important by not having it for one more week anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Because you touch yourself at night
    Morning, actually.
    The Rules

Maybe at the bottom of the page and the top of the registration page?

Sure, most folks here don't want to tie this into their real identities. But some might, and there's really no harm to this kind of opt-in in my opinion.

I don't want to tie this to my real ID but have no care if others do.

Except I can't think of anyone here who does want to.

If someone does, good luck to them. The idea that Facebook is just for pre-teens is ridiculous - and its true that it started in uni's, the fact its expanded doesn't make much difference as its expanded to everyone.

Here's an idea: if some here want a presence on Facebook, why not create a webpage there (it's free!) and provide some reasons for people to want to come here. That way, no one's identity will be revealed. Perhaps we can even throw in some money for advertising.
    Hope is the denial of reality

That's not a bad idea, Icky.

Last edited by Loki; 08-02-2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

What a pretty little page that no one will never ever like.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Thanks for volunteering to be in charge of it!

He's so eager to please!

He's my pet an I'm not sharing, though.