Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mosque near Ground Zero

So we're down to that it's just the extremists that need to be shown the finger by not backing down? That's exactly the attitude that doesn't win people over. Not everybody who doesn't want that center there is an extremist.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    So we're down to that it's just the extremists that need to be shown the finger by not backing down? That's exactly the attitude that doesn't win people over. Not everybody who doesn't want that center there is an extremist.
    Well, that was O'Brian's retort. Her main factoid was a poll saying ~70% of Americans oppose the location of Park51, so how could so many Americans be "extremists or radicals"? He did a fairly good job at this debate with her, trying not to lump everyone into one extremist camp or the other, trying to express his earnest desire to work this out, and that's one leg up we have as Americans over other countries.

IMO he does have a point about the tyranny of a minority vs protecting minorities. You brought it up by referencing how blacks in CA used voter ballot initiatives to keep gay marriage illegal.

Did not expect the ending!

Wonder if I can find an older thread....

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...y_center_that/
    Park51 did an IAMA (question and answer). I think it goes a pretty good way towards understanding, which was, from the looks of this thread and the links, sadly absent when this place was first being attacked.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

That thing is pretty unreadable. But from what I could read, it doesn't really get at the core issues I've had with it. Wonder how their fundraising is going.

Park51 opened it doors today.

Anyone get blown up yet?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You wait and see, America's enemies never take a break.