Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Zionuts

To be fair, plenty of religious Jews pray routinely for the destruction of Israel's enemies. Though I'll admit it makes no specific mention of Arabs or Muslims.

Those Jews are generally not the Prime Minister of Israel.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Those Jews are generally not the Prime Minister of Israel.
    If he ever prays in a synagogue in Israel, he definitely does hear and respond to that prayer. It's pretty universal in non-Haredi circles.

Pretty sure the objectionable part of that video wasn't the part about destroying enemies, but rather who those enemies are.

Anything written by Gideon Levy is by definition Zionuts.

Is something wrong with the polling agency that carried this out?

Wow, that's pretty sad. Yet another peacenik who makes up his own facts when the existing ones challenge his preconceptions.

See, Levy isn't entirely wrong. Israelis are distressingly racist when it comes to Arabs (and, often, Africans), and some of them do harbor some awfully nationalistic and unworkable ideas about the future of the country. But the headline and slant doesn't actually match the numbers.... and the poll itself, while not wrong, started with a pretty leading set of questions.

Being intentionally misleading is bad, even if there's some truth to the allegations.

Not Zionuts per se, but it shows how imams become Zionuts (by some dude at Harvard):

"This paper explains why some Muslim clerics adopt the ideology of militant Jihad while others do not. I argue that clerics strategically adopt or reject Jihadi ideology because of career incentives generated by the structure of cleric educational networks. Well-connected clerics enjoy substantial success at pursuing comfortable careers within state-run religious institutions and they reject Jihadi ideology in exchange for continued material support from the state. Clerics with poor educational networks cannot rely on connections to advance through the state-run institutions, so many pursue careers outside of the system by appealing directly to lay audiences for support. These clerics are more likely to adopt Jihadi ideology because it helps them demonstrate to potential supporters that they have not been theologically coopted by political elites. I provide evidence of these dynamics by collecting and analyzing 29,430 fatwas, articles, and books written by 91 contemporary clerics. Using statistical natural language processing, I measure the extent to which each cleric adopts Jihadi ideology in their writing. I combine this with biographical and network information about each cleric to trace the process by which poorly-connected clerics become more likely to adopt Jihadi ideology."

Murdoch tweeted "Why Is Jewish owned press so consistently anti- Israel in every crisis?" - what the fuck?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Murdoch tweeted "Why Is Jewish owned press so consistently anti- Israel in every crisis?" - what the fuck?
    To be fair, he's not entirely wrong. Plenty of the reporters who are quite critical of Israeli policy are indeed Jewish. It puts paid to the idea of some monolithic Jewish vote which is solely concerned about unstinting support for Israel.

Of course, making it into a question of the 'Jewish owned press' does smack of classic antisemitism, but who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

It seems to me he was being sarcastic. But people assume he's being racist because he's an old dude.

Antisemite of the year award has been announced a bit early:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...st-jews/59347/

Third largest party in parliament. Not surprising seeing that Hungary and Romania were the two countries that didn't need Nazi urging to kill their own Jews.

In case anyone was wondering, he had to be awarded Antisemite of the Year because I already awarded Zionut of the Year. I stand by my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I don't think I even need to wait another 11 months. Wiggin's Zionut of the Year goes to...

Israel caused the Japanese tsunami and Fukushima disaster using nuclear weapons in order to punish them for helping Iran obtain nukes.

Where do we rank the French for announcing they will vote to elevate the Palestinians to observer status at the UN?

Whatever, who cares?

I'm more worried that French Jews have not felt safe enough to walk around in public wearing kippot.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Third largest party in parliament. Not surprising seeing that Hungary and Romania were the two countries that didn't need Nazi urging to kill their own Jews.
    Not all of the violence in the Baltics was instigated by the Einzatsgruppen, I thought? My copy of Longerich's Holocaust is on campus at the moment
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I suspect Loki was speaking in hyperbole. The Hungarians and Romanians may have been extra enthusiastic, but obviously they weren't the only ones who jumped on the bandwagon with little to no urging.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Not all of the violence in the Baltics was instigated by the Einzatsgruppen, I thought? My copy of Longerich's Holocaust is on campus at the moment
    Ah sorry, forgot about them.

I do know that Hitler had to restrain the Romanians at one point for going overboard...

Too bad the article doesn't clarify why it was such a ridiculous Tweet. My money is it reflects the view of the guy making the Tweet.

Wow. For some reason the Iranian "news" anchor also really creeps me out.