Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Zionuts

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Hope is the denial of reality

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...li-208583.html

Apparently Diane Rehm gets her facts about politics off antisemitic Facebook posts.

Gotta love the non-apology... But I never liked her show much anyways.

Yeah, we need to publicly ask politicians about all racist conspiracies theories floating around.

http://www.brandeiscenter.com/images...tisemitism.pdf Interesting piece. The methods could be more sophisticated, and a follow-up study would be useful, but the results are still pretty revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...li-208583.html

Apparently Diane Rehm gets her facts about politics off antisemitic Facebook posts.

Gotta love the non-apology... But I never liked her show much anyways.
    At least she apologised, sorta, I guess. Has anyone done that for the whole Obama is a Kenyan (muslim) thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yeah, we need to publicly ask politicians about all racist conspiracies theories floating around.
    Would make press briefings less boring. Too bad the press is controlled by the CIA, so that will never happen.

http://www.brandeiscenter.com/images...tisemitism.pdf Interesting piece. The methods could be more sophisticated, and a follow-up study would be useful, but the results are still pretty revealing.
    I'm not sure 'revealing' is the right word. Isn't this rather more dog bites man than the other way around?

It's what most people already suspected, but hasn't been proven. And you still get plenty of anti-Zionists who like to pretend that a large portion of people on their side aren't anti-Semites.

*shrugs* Nice to have data, but hardly a surprise.

In other news, this article has some interesting quotes on the third page, especially the prof at the US Naval War College. (Yes, it's the Weekly Standard, so read with skepticism.) I think it's an interesting question about whether Israel's choice to go above and beyond the requirements of IHL is setting a too-high standard for other Western militaries when they next engage in high intensity urban combat. Does habitual use of these tactics start to veer into establishing customary int'l law? I doubt it's there yet, but we haven't really seen many cases of, say, a Battle of Mogadishu in recent years. Next time a Western military gets bogged down in intense urban combat, I'm curious what the response will be.

For those interested, there were (less sensational) pieces recently published on Israeli targeting procedures. Fascinating reading; I am curious how it stacks up against e.g. Pentagon targeting policies with drone strikes:
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=2596836
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=2593629

It's what most people already suspected, but hasn't been proven. And you still get plenty of anti-Zionists who like to pretend that a large portion of people on their side aren't anti-Semites.
    The sane ones just claim that just by criticising Israël you're not automatically an antisemite which is also often claimed (on the internet ). And to be honest I think a similar research on the other side would reveal a lot of people who criticise the Palestines also have anti muslim sentiment. At least the vocal ones. So surprising? No, considering people are a) generally apples assholed b) stupid and spout populist lines, and remember it's an incredibly partisan issue involving two religions. I'd think discussing the issue would often lead to one side calling Jews nazis and the other side that Muslims are barbaric terrorists.

One can reasonably support the existence of one country without wanting the destruction of another. Anti-Zionists, by definition, believe that some people deserve states (Arabs) and some do not (Jews).

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ry--Z1UEUJeUWx

Are Zionists trying to intimidate me? I can't find my keys

One article memorably claimed that neither the Mossad or the Elders of Zion could be reached for comment...

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ry--Z1UEUJeUWx

Are Zionists trying to intimidate me? I can't find my keys

One article memorably claimed that neither the Mossad or the Elders of Zion could be reached for comment...
    I logged-on JUST to post that story. I feel a special kinship with that insane person, given the time I spent on their forum years ago trying to legitimately talk to them. Was referred by that guy Sohaib. This would actually sort of be a brilliant move by Mossad.

While of course it's historically inaccurate to blame the Grand Mufti for the Final Solution, Netanyahu's statements do hint at a legitimate debate among Holocaust historians - that between intentionalists and functionalists. The extent to which Hitler and other parts of the Nazi leadership initially planned on an extermination program is a point of some contention. There is no question that Hitler and his cronies fostered an intense antisemitism, but extermination really only got underway in earnest a few years into the war. There were plenty of ad hoc massacres of Jews - not least being the actions of the Einsatzgruppen, especially during Operation Barbarossa. But an intentional plan to exterminate the Jews may not have materialized until later, and have been driven by individual initiative from below as much as orders from above.

There is evidence for both sides of the argument, but I think the truth is probably a combination of the two. A fully realized plan to exterminate the Jews likely was not even in Hitler's mind or that of his leadership in, say, 1939. But if you took his argumentation to its logical conclusion (not really requiring all that much in the way of logical leaps), it was an obvious outcome. And functionalism would only have worked with some element of encouragement from above.

So Hitler indeed may have fully developed his extermination plan in stages, and it's certainly vaguely possible that the Grand Mufti advocated in that direction. But to suggest that the Final Solution is an invention of the Grand Mufti is stretching history to the breaking point.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Wig, everything is possible. Except there's no evidence that this is true. One shouldn't make history up, especially when it comes to the Holocaust, which has a whole denial industry built around it.

Don't Netanyahu's statements also have a history in conservative Israeli political circles, where Rabin's assassination was treated as some 'great conspiracy'?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Don't Netanyahu's statements also have a history in conservative Israeli political circles, where Rabin's assassination was treated as some 'great conspiracy'?
    Normally I ignore your posts on this subject, GGT, but it's important to correct this. Yes, among radical right circles there are conspiracy theories about the Rabin assassination (as well as among radical left circles, though obviously culpability is different). It's pretty standard fare for assassinations (cf JFK). Yet the large political mainstream - in which Netanyahu is firmly embedded - widely accepts the truth. In no way does Netanyahu promote conspiracy theories about the Rabin assassination.

Furthermore, his statements on the Holocaust (erroneous as they were) are in no way connected to the issue of the Rabin assassination... and in fact have little support among his compatriots on the political right in Israel.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

City University of New York students chant "Zionists out of CUNY" and "Intefadah!"

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/wo...s-attacks.html

Not Zionuts per se, but sad that this story is so extraordinary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/wo...s-attacks.html

Not Zionuts per se, but sad that this story is so extraordinary.
    Indeed. I did have a beef with the article - it made much hay about the cases where Israeli medics don't treat injured terrorists while holding up the rare Palestinian who does treat Israeli civilians as paragons of virtue. There are valid reasons why Israeli medics are reluctant to treat injured terrorists - not least because of the danger of unexploded ordnance in the event they are wearing a suicide vest. That doesn't mean they are exempt from the obligation to treat, of course, and IDF policy is clear on this point. But it does mean that some caution is warranted, up to an including waiting for an EOD team to investigate before endangering the life of a medic.

A student of mine was a combat medic in the IDF during his service, which included the 2014 invasion of Gaza. He has treated wounded terrorists on a large number of occasions and prepped them for medevac to Israeli hospitals. There are no shortage of stories he has about when local medics ignored directives to wait before treating someone despite the substantial risk involved. This is anecdotal, of course, and I have no doubt that there are cases that are the reverse - where there is no substantial risk to medics but they instead hesitate from providing potentially lifesaving care. These are deplorable, but are by no means the norm - the number of wounded terrorists who are routinely treated in Israeli hospitals should be some indication of this fact (and the number of Israelis who receiving lifesaving care from Palestinian medics - nearly zero - is instructive).

We all know that this is a poisonous conflict, especially given the atmosphere prevailing in both Israel and the territories. There is no shortage of ugly emotions and uglier actions. And so perhaps it's reasonable for us to laud those people who step above the fray to interact with the Other as human beings. Yet the very rarity that makes this story worth writing about is also telling.

Agreed entirely. I'm kind of curious what happens to this doctor from the Palestinian side. I have a bad feeling he's going to lose his business and be viewed as a traitor.

Agreed entirely. I'm kind of curious what happens to this doctor from the Palestinian side. I have a bad feeling he's going to lose his business and be viewed as a traitor.
    In the Gaza Strip I might agree with you. I'm hopeful that in the West Bank he won't face substantial retaliation.

It's easy to demonize Palestinians - certainly their political class is pretty despicable, their national narrative is deeply disturbing, and their consistent approval of political violence against civilians is difficult to ignore. But most Palestinians just want to get on with their lives in peace, and at least in the West Bank there is still substantial interaction between Israelis and Palestinians - whether friction with security forces or the tens of thousands of Palestinians employed both formally and informally in Green Line Israel as well as in West Bank settlements. And despite the many 'spontaneous' attacks that have taken place in recent months among this group in particular, the vast majority of them have good relationships with their Israeli counterparts. They might hate occupation and hate Israel in an intellectual sense, but they wouldn't turn away from an injured Israeli... nor would they retaliate against a person who did so. The bigger concern is whether a small group of Palestinians - say a Hamas cell in the Hebron area - would carry out their own retaliation. That's a concern, of course, but it's a different problem than a deeper cultural issue affecting Palestinians as a whole.

While I'm being charitable and fair-minded, I might also suggest some reasons why a Palestinian might hesitate before aiding an injured Israeli, other than hatred or callousness. The risk to Palestinians found near the site of a terrorist attack is not insignificant - soldiers arriving at a scene are on high alert and might not take kindly to a Palestinian ministering to the wounded until it was clear that their intentions were good. While actually getting hurt badly by the troops is not likely, it's not out of the question either - and you're certainly putting yourself at risk for some not-so-gentle questioning until your intentions and identity are ascertained. Furthermore, the risks of nearby terrorists targeting you - just as they might target first responders arriving at a scene - should not be ignored. So perhaps it's not unreasonable that some well-meaning Palestinians hesitate before pitching in. And certainly this doctor's actions should be praised. Nevertheless, I find the double standards implicit in the piece you posted to be somewhat frustrating, and what it says about the underlying situation in the West Bank is, if not surprising, at least concerning.

Egyptian Judo Athlete Refuses Handshake After Losing to Israeli

RIO DE JANEIRO — An Egyptian judoka declined to shake hands with his Israeli opponent after their match on Friday, eliciting jeers from the crowd.

Or Sasson, the Israeli, defeated Islam El Shehaby, the Egyptian, in a first-round match in the heaviest weight class, over 100 kilograms (about 220 pounds).

After a moment of prayer, El Shehaby got up and seemed reluctant to perform the traditional bow to his opponent. Eventually, he gave a quick nod and left the mat. A judge and a referee urged him to return. Sasson then approached El Shehaby with his hand extended, but El Shehany backed away.

Throughout the competition, as at all judo matches, opponents have bowed to each other, often multiple times. To decline a handshake is a serious breach of judo etiquette.

“That is extremely rare in judo,” the American coach Jimmy Pedro said. “It is especially disrespectful considering it was a clean throw and a fair match. It was completely dishonorable and totally unsportsmanlike on the part of the Egyptian.”

A judo federation spokesman said in an email to The Associated Press that a bow was mandatory but that shaking hands was not. He said El Shehaby’s “attitude will be reviewed after the Games to see if any further action should be taken.”

Before the match, El Shehaby had faced pressure on social media not to show up, the news site NRG reported. “You dishonor Islam if you lose to Israel,” he was told. “How can you cooperate with a killer?”

There is a history of animosity between Israeli and other Middle Eastern athletes at the Olympics, including in judo.

Israeli and Lebanese athletes got into a dispute about sharing a bus to the opening ceremony last week. The Lebanese team admitted preventing Israeli athletes from boarding, but said it was because the bus had been reserved for the Lebanese athletes.

When a Saudi judo player forfeited a match on Tuesday, the official reason was that she was injured, but the Israeli news media claimed it was because she would have faced an Israeli in the next round.

At the 2004 Athens Games, Arash Miresmaeili, a gold medal favorite in judo, was disqualified for showing up over the weight limit for his first-round match against an Israeli. It was reported that he had gone on an eating binge to intentionally forfeit, and he said, “I refused to fight my Israeli opponent to sympathize with the suffering of the people of Palestine, and I do not feel upset at all.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sp...m-shehaby.html

I like how Israelis can act like turd sandwiches for Zionut athletes simply by showing up.

Meanwhile, earlier this year, Stein’s running mate, Ajamu Baraka, contributed an essay to a volume edited by Holocaust denier and 9/11 truther Kevin Barrett. The anthology’s title? Another False Flag? Bloody Tracks from Paris to San Bernadino. A veritable who’s who of bigots and conspiracy theorists, the book posits that the Charlie Hebdo attacks and many others were perpetrated by the CIA and Mossad.
    Greens, the sane alternative to no one.

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/2105...for-jill-stein