Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Zionuts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hebrew Israelites aren't Jewish.

The counter-explanation I've seen is that the student was given the option of eating chicken nuggets or a pizza, which would suggest this was more an issue of the coaches being insensitive than outright bigoted.
    Still...just dumber than a box of hair.

No other punishment could have been come up with? I recall laps, extra work, or just being the schmuck that has to clean up afterwards...this was just freaking stupid.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Hamas criticizes Ilhan Omar for equating them with Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-...s-with-israel/
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

A last ditch maneuver by Netanyahu to stay in power. Luckily, it failed: https://www.timesofisrael.com/raam-m...vering-on-vote

I don't think there's any single person in recent times who's done more damage to the state of Israel than Netanyahu. Good riddance.
    Hope is the denial of reality

A last ditch maneuver by Netanyahu to stay in power. Luckily, it failed: https://www.timesofisrael.com/raam-m...vering-on-vote

I don't think there's any single person in recent times who's done more damage to the state of Israel than Netanyahu. Good riddance.
    No, he should be appointed PM again so that he can be ousted again and again
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

You know, while I think there's some justice to this statement, there is one pretty good thing that he did. In his desperation to maintain power, he broke a taboo in Israeli politics - he invited an Arab opposition party to join his failed coalition government. This hasn't happened in a very long time - right wing parties didn't want anything to do with openly anti-Zionist groups (the feeling was mutual), and centrists/leftists were afraid of being labelled as terrorist sympathizers.

Now that Netanyahu (who no one is going to accuse of being a soft lefty) has done it, it's opened up the opportunity for pragmatic coalitions including Arab parties as a special interest party like Shas, rather than as an ideological party. Mansour Abbas obviously cares about Palestinian issues, but he doesn't care anywhere near as much as he cares about issues facing the Israeli Arab community - this pragmatism was part of his pitch to voters, and was evidenced in his contemplating joining either a Netanyahu or Lapid/Bennett led government. And he got some solid concessions in the coalition negotiations, including official state sanction for some unplanned Bedouin communities that had rather precarious futures.

It is pretty crazy to have them in the same coalition with some of these other parties, though. Back when Ra'am was in talks to join a Netanyahu government with Tkuma, there was a little joke running around Israel (it works better in Hebrew, but bear with me):

Mansour Abbas speaks up at a cabinet meeting, complaining about expansion of settlements. Betzalel Smotrich shoots back, calling him a terrorist sympathizer. Amir Ohana says, "Gentlemen, can't we all just get along?", to which Smotrich and Abbas turn and say, "Shut up, homo!"

The current coalition is only slightly less unlikely, and highly probable that it's inherently unstable. But the tacit 'permission' to engage politically with Arab parties is going to last long after this government falls.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    You know, while I think there's some justice to this statement, there is one pretty good thing that he did. In his desperation to maintain power, he broke a taboo in Israeli politics - he invited an Arab opposition party to join his failed coalition government. This hasn't happened in a very long time - right wing parties didn't want anything to do with openly anti-Zionist groups (the feeling was mutual), and centrists/leftists were afraid of being labelled as terrorist sympathizers.

Now that Netanyahu (who no one is going to accuse of being a soft lefty) has done it, it's opened up the opportunity for pragmatic coalitions including Arab parties as a special interest party like Shas, rather than as an ideological party. Mansour Abbas obviously cares about Palestinian issues, but he doesn't care anywhere near as much as he cares about issues facing the Israeli Arab community - this pragmatism was part of his pitch to voters, and was evidenced in his contemplating joining either a Netanyahu or Lapid/Bennett led government. And he got some solid concessions in the coalition negotiations, including official state sanction for some unplanned Bedouin communities that had rather precarious futures.

It is pretty crazy to have them in the same coalition with some of these other parties, though. Back when Ra'am was in talks to join a Netanyahu government with Tkuma, there was a little joke running around Israel (it works better in Hebrew, but bear with me):

Mansour Abbas speaks up at a cabinet meeting, complaining about expansion of settlements. Betzalel Smotrich shoots back, calling him a terrorist sympathizer. Amir Ohana says, "Gentlemen, can't we all just get along?", to which Smotrich and Abbas turn and say, "Shut up, homo!"

The current coalition is only slightly less unlikely, and highly probable that it's inherently unstable. But the tacit 'permission' to engage politically with Arab parties is going to last long after this government falls.
    The first unlikely cabinet we had in The Netherlands served a full term. Also, small majority cabinets have shown themselves to be very very hard to push out of office. I am not shy to think this experience counts; we have 19 parties in a 150 seat parliament.
    Congratulations America

I give the new government 18 months.

Certainly anything is possible; Israelis are sick and tired of elections, and having the possibility of Netanyahu's exit from politics (though this is far from assured) may lend some stability. But there are some fundamental rifts in the coalition that can only be papered over for so long.

Like parties that are sworn enemies yet are in a coalition that somehow never addresses the issues that under normal circumstances could easily become explosive? The thing is that these politicians experience besides what they can't achieve there are a lot of things just as worthwhile that suddenly become possible.
    Congratulations America

Not exactly Zionuts but....

How Naftali Bennet's Kippah Stays on His Bald Head

I love that someone wanted to know the answer to this question.

Wouldn't nanotape be a good and economical solution
    Congratulations America

tfw you tweet before you read

I read the letter...what's the issue? What am I missing?

what the fudge

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    what the fudge

Their Cherry Garcia is being taken from them. What sort of reaction were you expecting?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

And that's what the left side of the political spectrum looks like...

And that's what the left side of the political spectrum looks like...
    that's what I'd look like if mfers came for my ice-cream

American Ph. D. student falls victim to concerted BDS campaign:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/28/...demic-freedom/

The Israelis who are too quick to get involved in American domestic issues are the ones who complain loudest when the US meddles in Israeli politics. I actually think the college acted appropriately; there's no reason a dean can't hear the concerns of a foreign diplomat (as long as they don't give in to those demands). But it's disgraceful for Israel to try to undermine American academic freedom.

The Israelis who are too quick to get involved in American domestic issues are the ones who complain loudest when the US meddles in Israeli politics. I actually think the college acted appropriately; there's no reason a dean can't hear the concerns of a foreign diplomat (as long as they don't give in to those demands). But it's disgraceful for Israel to try to undermine American academic freedom.
    What's Hebrew for "Wolf Warrior"?

What, is turnabout not fair play?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    "How dare you tell us not to violate the human rights of 20% of our population. We reserve the right to tell your grad students what they should and shouldn't be teaching."

Uhhh, what? Have US diplomats been telling Israeli universities to punish their grad students for teaching Israeli students about ongoing American crimes against humanity, or criticizing those crimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Uhhh, what? Have US diplomats been telling Israeli universities to punish their grad students for teaching Israeli students about ongoing American crimes against humanity, or criticizing those crimes?
    The academics have been using their academic freedom to "undermine" Israel (certainly in the perspective of those types of Israeli pressure-pushers) so it seems perfectly reasonable for them to respond in kind, yes? Doesn't mean the University officials ought to go along with them, but then it's not necessarily the case that Israel or anyone else should be falling in line to any or all pressure bought to bear on them by BDS or other related groups/movements. Now the Congress-critter, that might be another story. She's in a position to do more than use speech and advocacy.

The academics have been using their academic freedom to "undermine" Israel (certainly in the perspective of those types of Israeli pressure-pushers) so it seems perfectly reasonable for them to respond in kind, yes? Doesn't mean the University officials ought to go along with them, but then it's not necessarily the case that Israel or anyone else should be falling in line to any or all pressure bought to bear on them by BDS or other related groups/movements. Now the Congress-critter, that might be another story. She's in a position to do more than use speech and advocacy.
    When you, as a country, can't tolerate criticism from a grad student in a foreign country, you really need to take a look in a mirror.

I want to know why USA tax payers are paying for their Iron Dome? If they can't afford to pay for their own protection maybe they should negotiate in good faith for peace or move someplace less hostile.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

And clearly this is the most anti-Semitic anyone witnesses in the South.