Thread: I've Been Listening to Nuclear War: A Scenario And....

Default I've Been Listening to Nuclear War: A Scenario And....

...and it's freaking me out.

Has anyone read/ listened to this book? It *seems* very well researched and very well written - anyone know if there's something not more-or-less accurate here? The author reads the audio version and she's great. I'm to the point when the North Korean EMP bomb detonates. Talk me down because I'm feeling very much WTaF right now.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...nnie-jacobsen/
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

No but I do find the EMP bit pretty scary and have for a while.

Listening to an audio book about this is like the people who listen to murder podcasts. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    No but I do find the EMP bit pretty scary and have for a while.

Listening to an audio book about this is like the people who listen to murder podcasts. I don't get it.
    I don't know about murder podcasts, but I listen to audio books while doing physical activity that doesn't require much thinking -- while commuting, working out, mowing the lawn, making dinner, misc house and lawn work... I also read paper books, but that's a lone activity, unpairable with anything else. In the last five years I've listened to literally hundreds of books, using time that would otherwise be left to my crazy brain just ruminating about nonsense.

Regarding the book, the EMP was generated by a small-ish bomb in orbit, detonated over Nebraska, and the pulse knocked out all three US power grids, destroyed all the consumer and industrial chips, including those in every modern automobile, truck, ship and aircraft, all the data centers, every phone and computer anyone uses to do anything. Its a fucking horror show all by itself and very easy to do for a 2-bit nuclear power than can put a satellite in orbit. I can't imagine what would happen to this country if something like that happened. Nuclear attack itself would almost be unnecessary.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)