Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1634

Thread: Zionuts

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I don't see how Israel survives this as a liberal democracy with a functioning legal system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/21/w...hu-israel.html
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/livebl...-is-in-danger/
    Not just me making this argument:
    Hope is the denial of reality

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” Mr. Santos told The Post. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/26/n...e=articleShare
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I always look to the Air Force for lectures on democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I always look to the Air Force for lectures on democracy.
    Dread, while it's not clear what the signatories of the letter realistically expect to happen, I believe the rather unprecedented amount of concern by both current and former military officials is about the muddying of the chain of command in the West Bank by the appointment of Smotrich to run COGAT and other parts of Israeli administration in the West Bank, which have been purely the province of the military chain of command since 1967, answerable to the Defense Minister (and not the Finance Minister wearing a second hand inside the Defense Ministry). It's a very problematic precedent that impinges directly on the smooth functioning of a military that is answerable to a clear civilian authority. These kinds of diffuse and poorly delineated command structures are ripe for confusion, contradictory orders, and corruption. Oh, and it sounds like Ben Gvir will be put directly in charge of the WB MAGAV (border police) which is bordering on farcical.

I think it's an eminently reasonable thing to cause great concern among high ranking members of the military.

I suspect that the other major provisions are also concerning to them (and a substantial majority of Israelis) but might not have caused this specific advocacy. Among them:

- The Deri Law, a transparent way to buy Shas votes by allowing a convicted criminal to run the Interior Ministry and Health Ministry, followed in two years (if the government last that long) by running the Finance Ministry. Like, literally the guy in charge of taxes will be a tax criminal.
    - The Ben Gvir law, allowing a far right (like, literally someone who defends Jewish terrorists on their merits) agitator to have unprecedented control over the police, including decisions on investigations that should be nowhere near political control
    - Appointing a known homophobic religious fundamentalist to have a great deal of control over Israeli public education and immigration from post-Soviet countries - and, for that matter, pushing to amend the anti-discrimination laws to make it much easier to legally discriminate against homosexuals
    - Politicizing and potentially radicalizing the military rabbinate by making IDF chief rabbi appointed by and subordinate to the central rabbinate, rather than appointed by the IDF chief of staff
    - Making it harder to break up coalitions by disallowing groups of MKs from breaking off from their party
    - Mooting plans to legislate overrides to Supreme Court decisions

I am not convinced that Loki's gloomy outlook is necessarily true, but Netanyahu is playing with fire here. As soon as he started legitimizing folks like Ben Gvir and Maoz (and even Smotrich, who at least isn't quite as outwardly rabid), he was going to have to make these kinds of deals. If his only path to power was through a coalition with people like this (after he brokered inter-party vote sharing deals on the far right to get them past the higher threshold), he should have resigned and let someone else run Likud in a national unity arrangement with the center/center-left. It is clear that these decisions are not in the best interests of the State of Israel.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

He's not playing with fire. He doesn't care if the country disintegrates as long as he remains in charge of it (and out of jail). Israel is the one that played with fire by electing this far right coalition. I don't see how Israel can reestablish the rule of law after this. Assuming the coalition doesn't collapse in a year.

I just wish the US government would quit promoting the false notion that we need Israel. Israel is merely a convenience.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

He's not playing with fire. He doesn't care if the country disintegrates as long as he remains in charge of it (and out of jail). Israel is the one that played with fire by electing this far right coalition. I don't see how Israel can reestablish the rule of law after this. Assuming the coalition doesn't collapse in a year.
    I broadly agree with you about his motivations (staying out of jail) and think his actions in the run-up to this election - notably brokering the deal with Ben Gvir to strengthen the right wing bloc vote share - should be disqualifying for the PM role. I have had multiple conversations with those who are deeply attuned to Israeli politics, and they basically think that Netanyahu was daring the center parties to accept him in a unity government by presenting a truly awful alternative (Smotrich, Ben Gvir, and Maoz in power) - but either because he eked out a real majority with only right/religious parties or because Lapid and Gantz wouldn't play ball, he called their bluff.

I actually think this analysis places too much blame on Gantz/Lapid because this entire mess was precipitated by Netanyahu's premeditated effort to unify and legitimize the far right, which even if he didn't include them in the coalition should be disqualifying.

As for the Israeli voter, a lot of this had to do with the lackluster performance of the previous government and the general mess the coalition made - it was always a stretch to make it work, but Bennett and Lapid did a pretty bad job making a functional government. Netanyahu, despite his overarching need to stay out of jail, is generally pretty risk-averse on policy and voters are willing to stomach his leadership if there's actually a functioning government. A lot of this also has to do with the increased vote threshold to get into the Knesset - I saw a fascinating analysis that suggested that rather than encouraging consolidation in broadly centrist blocs (and eliminating the fringe nutsos), it paradoxically had the opposite effect, giving the fringes of politics reason to set aside their internecine struggles and ink vote-sharing agreements. On the right, this was facilitated by Bibi and so we have this absolute embarrassment of a party where beforehand most of the votes would have been wasted below the threshold. A lot of the final vote tallies (and whether Bibi would actually get a majority) was predicated on small vote changes in how small parties crossed the threshold, especially Meretz. With Meretz eliminated, the right got the boost they needed. The actual change in vote tallies wasn't all that dramatic - most of the defectors from e.g. Labour went to Lapid (gained 7 seats) and the combined Likud/right wing vote share only went up by a handful of seats (Likud +2, Shas +2). What changed was that Bennett (who retired) and Shaked's (who nobody liked in the first place) voters all defected to Smotrich, and Smotrich was willing to get in bed with Ben Gvir.

I wouldn't give the government all that much chance of surviving long - I think Netanyahu will have his arm twisted by the US on some West Bank policy issues, which will cause Ben Gvir (and maybe Smotrich) to leave in a huff. Alternatively, Likud itself might fracture under the strain - holding together 32 MKs will be difficult when he's handing out lavish concessions to his junior coalition partners. I am concerned, however, that some of the changes he will put in place may become permanent (e.g. the Supreme Court override, which is frankly the most concerning bit of this mess to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I just wish the US government would quit promoting the false notion that we need Israel. Israel is merely a convenience.
    In what way does the US government suggest that the United States needs Israel?
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    In what way does the US government suggest that the United States needs Israel?
    the-jerusalem-u-s-israel-strategic-partnership-joint-declaration

Sacrosanct means we veto any and all UN resolutions against Israeli crimes against humanity.

statement-from-president-joe-biden-on-the-new-government-of-the-state-of-israel

Did you actually read that joint declaration? It was all about what the US is going to do for Israel, not the other way around. Oh, there were a few boilerplate phrases about 'regional security' and 'US national security interest', but in no way did it suggest anything other than the reality - that Israel is the client.

Did you actually read that joint declaration?
    Yes. That is where I found this...

sac·ro·sanct

regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with

... It was all about what the US is going to do for Israel, not the other way around.
    Gee, I wonder why the US government doesn't tell us citizens about the covert operations Israel does for us in return for our support? Oh, wait...

co·vert

not openly acknowledged or displayed

... Oh, there were a few boilerplate phrases about 'regional security' and 'US national security interest'
    And my point is, Israel is a minion we could and should do without. Our relationship with Israel damages our standing with the rest of the free world.

Oh, yes. It's all about money, and power. I particularly love the part where Islamic Jihad makes the distinction between IJ affiliated martyrs who were terrorists and IJ affiliated martyrs who were not. Really threading the needle there to appease two competing needs.

Universities are getting more woke by the day:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-rights-watch

Frankly, this is nuts:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...on-2023-02-12/

These nuts are nuts.

If only the Palestinians would peacefully assimilate into society...you know...like South Africa's and America's natives did.

Israel voted for this.

You know, I never thought it would happen but the Israeli electorate/electoral system's determination to stay committed to this leadership and this direction is slowly starting to turn me pro-Palestinian. For decades I've been either firmly committed to letting both sides all die in a fire to being just slightly pro-Israeli, but the Israeli Right is as determined to keep this going as Hamas is over in Gaza. But the Israeli right have less excuse and are doing it with a greater proportion of the population.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You know, I never thought it would happen but the Israeli electorate/electoral system's determination to stay committed to this leadership and this direction is slowly starting to turn me pro-Palestinian. For decades I've been either firmly committed to letting both sides all die in a fire to being just slightly pro-Israeli, but the Israeli Right is as determined to keep this going as Hamas is over in Gaza. But the Israeli right have less excuse and are doing it with a greater proportion of the population.
    I've actually been pretty surprised with the vehemence of the opposition to this government inside Israeli civil society. Israelis are generally pretty politically engaged, but I am familiar with a lot of people who have attended the regular protests against this government's plans (when they have not habitually protested before) - typically getting on the order of 100k on a weekly basis, which is over 1% of the country's population. There are frequent protests in Israel about various issues (including against various Netanyahu led governments), but the size, frequency, and broad base of these protests makes me think his government is on extremely shaky ground.

I also have a number of friends in relatively influential public-facing roles in Israel - journalists, Knesset staffers, lobbyists, etc. - and most of them typically adopt a public attitude of dispassionate analysis rather than choosing sides (if I had to guess, they tend to lean center/right - they're not Meretz types). Regarding this government, however, they have been openly critical, and their critique has been less focused on dry policy issues and much more on the composition, tenor, and dysfunction of this government.

Civil society organizations and institutions have also made life difficult for this government - from rulings disallowing a key coalition partner (Deri) to serve in the role he was promised as part of coalition negotiations, to a variety of bureaucratic and legal obstacles that are being put into play to try to blunt the effects of this government.

We've already seen the weakness in the coalition - Netanyahu is desperate to keep things in the West Bank under control, which is why he agreed to the Aqaba communique, but then he had to immediately backtrack because his coalition members threatened to walk. He has little to no control over Ben Gvir and Smotrich, and it's becoming increasingly clear this is the cases. I would not be surprised if the government falls sooner rather than later, precisely because Israelis might not particularly like the alternative leaders to Netanyahu (nor does the opposition appear able to form a united bloc), but they also don't like what the coalition is doing.

I can't say that the disgraceful behavior in Huwara would not have occurred with a different government in charge - we know that violence by far right settlers is not new, and the Palestinian attacks that have been used as justification for this behavior are obviously outside PA control and likely to continue irrespective of the Israeli coalition - but I think the tone set by members of this government may have provided further impetus for these 'price tag' attacks et al.

We will have to see if Netanyahu can hold his coalition together long enough to do any lasting damage or not.

Bibi has been doing lasting damage for years.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Bibi has been doing lasting damage for years.
    Well, sure, any politician who has been in charge of the government (or the main opposition) for as long as Netanyahu will have a lasting effect on the country - some good, a lot bad. But there's a difference between run of the mill damage and existential damage to the country's norms and institutions.

I'd say to date Netanyahu has done a few things that are really bad and potentially difficult to reverse:

- By far the worst thing he has done is bringing Otzma Yehudit (Kach by any other name) out of the political wilderness. It is not clear that this taboo, once broken, will be able to be reinstated. I think the only real fix would be to outlaw the party like they did with Kach. It's possible but a lot harder than what everyone did in the past, which was just ignore Ben Gvir and his ilk.
    - Netanyahu turned Israel into a partisan issue in the United States, its most important patron and ally, by being actively hostile to the Obama administration and actively courting Republican opposition. While I might understand why he would do this given his likely calculation about existential risks, I think it will be very difficult to reverse the effects of his decision.

Most other things he have done that are really bad are changes in tone (that can reasonably be expected to be reversible in a future administration) and laws on paper that are concerning but either unenforceable or not really used (e.g. the nation state law et al). These are bad but don't need to be lasting. I think that Netanyahu is fundamentally risk-averse, he generally doesn't like to make big changes to much of anything, so most of his concessions to his right wing are intentionally designed to be more about style than substance. However, his current government appears to be driven by one overriding goal, that of keeping himself out of prison. That goal may necessitate fundamental changes to Israel's civil fabric that are substantive and very difficult to reverse - e.g. the judicial override changes, or muddying military chain of command in the civil administration, or the aforementioned cozying up to Jewish terrorist sympathizers. I am deeply concerned that his fundamental risk aversion is being discarded to achieve his proximate goal.

Would someone please explain Israel 's refusal to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

And what does it say about the median Israeli voter that, knowing all of the above, they gave Netanyahu's coalition a majority? Not to mention that the center left basically doesn't exist anymore.

Would someone please explain Israel 's refusal to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine?
    This is very easy to explain. Israel would like to preserve their relative freedom to operate in Syria, where they routinely interdict Iranian arms shipments in an attempt to limit the degree of Iranian military power and influence on their doorstep. Russia effectively controls Syrian air defense and has grudgingly allowed for a deconfliction mechanism that gives Israel some ability to continue to attack targets inside Syria. Israel (and not just the Netanyahu led government) considers this a critical national security interest and is willing to be wishy-washy on Ukraine in order to pursue this interest.

I don't actually agree with this position, because I think support for Ukraine should be such a no brainer that Israel's values should trump their interests in this case. I question whether they could actually contribute much in the way of weapons that would be meaningful (people have claimed that e.g. Israeli air/missile defense technology or missile technology could be game changers, but the Israeli defense industry doesn't really have the capacity to dramatically affect much of anything in Ukraine), but at the very least rhetoric and some more meaty pledges should be in order. Then again, I am not privy to internal Israeli assessments of the ongoing value of their operations in Syria and what would happen to the security situation on their northern border if relations with Russia further deteriorated.

And what does it say about the median Israeli voter that, knowing all of the above, they gave Netanyahu's coalition a majority? Not to mention that the center left basically doesn't exist anymore.
    I don't think that the median voter supports this in any way. Less than 11% of voters voted for Smotrich and Ben Gvir, and a bunch of the voters for Smotrich were holding their nose that Ben Gvir was involved. I think every single one of those voters made a grave error, but 11% is not the median. Another 23.5% voted for Likud, the vast majority of whom didn't vote for Netanyahu so much as against everyone else - and mostly don't care for Ben Gvir and his ilk and would have preferred a national unity government. I again think Likud voters made a mistake, mostly because Netanyahu is no longer fit for office, but I think it's much more understandable - Netanyahu is generally seen in Israel as being boring, pragmatic, and risk-averse... even people who dislike him subscribe to this general view of him. For him to take such risks with the country is pretty new territory for him.

The rest of the coalition was religious parties who can be bought by whoever meets their requirements. That's 14% of the electorate (Shas and UTJ). They have parochial interests and couldn't care less about the Netanyahu drama. And even if you add this all up, you still are below 50% of the electorate! Since Meretz and Balad missed the threshold, there were 6% of left leaning votes that were left in the polling booth. I'd say the center left is still doing fine in Israel, it's the left that closed up shop - Meretz and Labor both are shadows of their former self. But Gantz and Lapid's parties are in the vaguely defined center/center left and have hoovered up much of the votes from the left leaning parties.

The protests I've seen in Israel far eclipse almost any organized protest movement in recent memory. The most recent big protests were complaints about cost of living in the wake of the financial crisis, and while they engendered a political response were much smaller and poorly organized. The largest recent organized protest was against the disengagement, but (a) it didn't have anywhere near the broad demographic reach of the current protests, (b) didn't have the same numbers or staying power, and (c) didn't have public opinion on its side. I think this is telling - most Israelis, even right leaning ones, think the current government is a shambolic mess and have serious doubts about the key policies this government is trying to enact. Huge parts of civil society - from businesses to cultural figures to bureaucrats - are sounding alarm bells. I think Netanyahu faces an uphill battle to keep his government together. I've even heard questions about whether passing this judicial override law could prompt a constitutional crisis if the Supreme Court vacates it, and I am beginning to think those questions have some saliency.

Netanyahu is frankly not running a government that represents the will of the Israeli electorate.

Wig, when was the last time the ultra-orthodox parties joined a centrist/center-left coalition? Going into this election, it was very clear which parties were supporting Netanyahu. And every party acted exactly as expected. All of Netanyahu's policies were advertised during the election. A majority of Israelis either actively supported Netanyahu's project or at least didn't oppose it. The usual educated types opposed it, but those are a minority everywhere.

As for this crisis taking down Netahyahu: why and by whom? He ran on this platform. He has a decent-sized majority. All the parties in his coalition are either outright hostile to the rule of law or don't think it's a priority.

This is very easy to explain...
    So it has nothing to do with Israel's need to bolster the Jewish population of the country?

Wig, when was the last time the ultra-orthodox parties joined a centrist/center-left coalition? Going into this election, it was very clear which parties were supporting Netanyahu. And every party acted exactly as expected. All of Netanyahu's policies were advertised during the election. A majority of Israelis either actively supported Netanyahu's project or at least didn't oppose it. The usual educated types opposed it, but those are a minority everywhere.
    Depends on how you're defining centrist, but the Gantz unity government with Netanyahu included UTJ and Shas - and Labor. That was two governments ago. The 31st government (headed by Kadima) included Shas (and Labor). They weren't part of the 30th government (a unity government including Labor and Shinui but headed by Sharon) but UTJ and Shas were members of the 29th (also including Labor and other center/center left parties). They were members of Netanyahu's 32nd and 34th governments but not his 33rd. There is no correlation between right vs. left wing government and the presence of Shas and/or UTJ.

The point is that Shas and UTJ are not interested in right/left divides that animate the larger parties, they are interested in specific parochial issues for their (very loyal) voters and will sell their votes in the Knesset for appropriate consideration towards those issues. It's a widely known dynamic that is part of the horse trading that is involved in coalition politics. The left sometimes has a tougher time because some of the smaller leftist (or avowedly secularist) parties have a tough time managing these compromises, but it's not exclusively a left wing issue - Avigdor Lieberman made all sorts of trouble for right wing coalitions wrt religious issues as well.

Public opinion polling indicates that you are very wrong about what the majority of Israelis support.

As for this crisis taking down Netahyahu: why and by whom? He ran on this platform. He has a decent-sized majority. All the parties in his coalition are either outright hostile to the rule of law or don't think it's a priority.
    You have clearly not been following the details of the coalition negotiations and the fractious state of the coalition. A single party defection will sink his coalition and it is clear that Netanyahu has little to no control over his Cabinet. He's had to publicly walk back various moves of his or his ministers when he faced internal revolt. I would not give his government a very long shelf life.

In addition, the size, broad base, and duration of the protests and civil society backlash are going to be a problem for him - even if they avoid a constitutional crisis.

So it has nothing to do with Israel's need to bolster the Jewish population of the country?
    Why would the Israeli position on Ukraine have any substantial effect on the Jewish population of Israel?

Depends on how you're defining centrist, but the Gantz unity government with Netanyahu included UTJ and Shas - and Labor. That was two governments ago. The 31st government (headed by Kadima) included Shas (and Labor). They weren't part of the 30th government (a unity government including Labor and Shinui but headed by Sharon) but UTJ and Shas were members of the 29th (also including Labor and other center/center left parties). They were members of Netanyahu's 32nd and 34th governments but not his 33rd. There is no correlation between right vs. left wing government and the presence of Shas and/or UTJ.

The point is that Shas and UTJ are not interested in right/left divides that animate the larger parties, they are interested in specific parochial issues for their (very loyal) voters and will sell their votes in the Knesset for appropriate consideration towards those issues. It's a widely known dynamic that is part of the horse trading that is involved in coalition politics. The left sometimes has a tougher time because some of the smaller leftist (or avowedly secularist) parties have a tough time managing these compromises, but it's not exclusively a left wing issue - Avigdor Lieberman made all sorts of trouble for right wing coalitions wrt religious issues as well.
    That's a very long way of saying that Shas hasn't been in a government that excluded Likud since 2009 and UTJ since 1999.

Public opinion polling indicates that you are very wrong about what the majority of Israelis support.
    Like I said, the majority is either hostile to the rule of law or doesn't deem it a priority. If this was untrue, Netanyahu wouldn't be prime minister.

You have clearly not been following the details of the coalition negotiations and the fractious state of the coalition. A single party defection will sink his coalition and it is clear that Netanyahu has little to no control over his Cabinet. He's had to publicly walk back various moves of his or his ministers when he faced internal revolt. I would not give his government a very long shelf life.

In addition, the size, broad base, and duration of the protests and civil society backlash are going to be a problem for him - even if they avoid a constitutional crisis.
    Which parties will defect over rule of law issues? The ones with far right leaders? The ultra-orthodox? Or Likud? Because those are the only parties in the coalition.

Why would the Israeli position on Ukraine have any substantial effect on the Jewish population of Israel?
    It is my understanding that the vast majority of post 1960 immigrants to Israel come from Russia.