Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1669

Thread: Zionuts

Tell me, is the way you're switching your framing there intentional, or is it something you're not even aware of doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Anyway, you don't even care about any of the victims on either side so pipe down.
    I feel sympathy for the individuals of both sides who are suffering. I don't feel much sympathy for the collected groups which are supporting atrocity-level behavior via direct and indirection action and by deliberate non-action. Exploring reasoned policy-making does provide value if only as an intellectual exercise. As I am not an extrovert, however, I have no need to performatively emote in public or semi-public areas in order to make those feelings real.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 11-03-2023 at 05:28 PM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Shocked to learn that the people trying to remove Anne Frank's book from public libraries are in bed with rabid anti-Semites: https://www.timesofisrael.com/mom-fo...ic-livestream/

Maybe Dread can give a donation to this DeSantis-worshipping group.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I feel sympathy for the individuals of both sides who are suffering.
    Sure mate

... I'm ok with the people of both sides reaping the consequences of their adopted interactions ... I didn't care when I saw headlines about "dozens of gunmen" breaking through into Israel, I didn't care when I saw headlines about 1400+dead, and decided to just stop looking at headlines since I knew I wouldn't care about what was going to happen as a consequence of those earlier ones either.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Shocked to learn that the people trying to remove Anne Frank's book from public libraries are in bed with rabid anti-Semites: https://www.timesofisrael.com/mom-fo...ic-livestream/

Maybe Dread can give a donation to this DeSantis-worshipping group.
    Oh my god don't encourage him

Sure mate
    Not my problem if choose to blind yourself to the capacity to feel sympathy and simultaneously not be concerned about the events. I'm still interested in whether your framing above was deliberate distortion, or unconscious distortion from your continued deliberate refusal to look at events there with both eyes open.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Not my problem if choose to blind yourself to the capacity to feel sympathy and simultaneously not be concerned about the events.
    Uh huh

... I'm ok with the people of both sides reaping the consequences of their adopted interactions ...
    I'm still interested in whether your framing above was deliberate distortion, or unconscious distortion from your continued deliberate refusal to look at events there with both eyes open.
    Why don't you just tell me what it is you think you've discovered and we can figure out together whether you're imagining things or I made a mistake.

Uh huh
    And? In what way does that preclude feeling sympathy for an individual's suffering?

Why don't you just tell me what it is you think you've discovered and we can figure out together whether you're imagining things or I made a mistake.
    Criticism of a group only goes one way with you. You already made that quite explicit. And you've already shown in word and deed that your excuse is so much smoke, since the Israeli settlers are also terrorists. Attacks on Israel are barely worth notice. This one, even at the very beginning, only got a shot aimed at Netenyahu. Suffering by Israelis is something to feel sympathy about but that's as far as it goes and it's mostly something we're just supposed to assume without you bothering to express. Your outrage is reserved for the Israeli excesses (and they are so excessive, and so incredibly counterproductive as Being points out, exactly the behaviors which led them all here in the first place). It's funny because it's the exact same myopia being shown by the politicians you were just blasting. Their outrage and condemnation is reserved for the carefully planned and premeditated slaughter of over a thousand Israelis and the abduction of hundreds more women and children. They may feel sympathy for what the Palestinians suffer in retaliation but that's where it stops and it's one of those "goes without saying" things. Literally.

And? In what way does that preclude feeling sympathy for an individual's suffering?
    "Kids, I feel sympathy for you—which is why I'm okay with you getting what you deserve" may be one of the most inane positions ever put forward on this forum. But sure. I know you care—I just think it's very silly that you so aggressively pretend otherwise.

Criticism of a group only goes one way with you. You already made that quite explicit. And you've already shown in word and deed that your excuse is so much smoke, since the Israeli settlers are also terrorists. Attacks on Israel are barely worth notice. This one, even at the very beginning, only got a shot aimed at Netenyahu. Suffering by Israelis is something to feel sympathy about but that's as far as it goes and it's mostly something we're just supposed to assume without you bothering to express. Your outrage is reserved for the Israeli excesses (and they are so excessive, and so incredibly counterproductive as Being points out, exactly the behaviors which led them all here in the first place). It's funny because it's the exact same myopia being shown by the politicians you were just blasting. Their outrage and condemnation is reserved for the carefully planned and premeditated slaughter of over a thousand Israelis and the abduction of hundreds more women and children. They may feel sympathy for what the Palestinians suffer in retaliation but that's where it stops and it's one of those "goes without saying" things. Literally.
    I pretty much never post anything about simple terrorism outside the west; my criticism is indeed almost always aimed in one direction—at democratic states, their leaders, and their voters. Israeli settlers are also terrorists, but they are terrorists who are supported—in general as well as in specific acts of violence—by a democratic state, through policy, money, and even the direct support of the military. Why do I have this focus? Because terrorists don't read anything I write—but some people who vote in democratic elections do. I expect nothing but atrocities from terrorists. I have to expect more from democratic states that ostensibly enforce the entire legal and moral order underpinning our modern civilization. Terrorist attacks are not a significant threat to that order—democratic states engaging in or actively supporting crimes against humanity is.

Now, you seem to think this bias of mine represents some form of hypocrisy. Here you are, still stinging from my earlier rebuke of your performative cynicism, posting weird rants about how I'm just like the people I criticize. Here are two key distinctions you've neglected: 1. unlike the politicians I criticize, I do not justify genocidal violence on any side, for any reason, ever. 2. unlike you, I haven't done a little song and dance about how inured I've become to humanity—how little I care. Perhaps I care, perhaps I don't—but you, going by your own statements, absolutely and explicitly do not. Do you want me to take your performance at face value, or would you prefer I do a GGT and acknowledge the person you are behind that silly facade? I'm sorry you got mad abt being called out on this mate, but that's on you. Don't try to pretend to be a sociopath next time.

Ross Abramson, a software engineer and recent New York University graduate, had a fairly conventional news diet until recently. He regularly checked his phone for The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. And as a Jew with an interest in Israel, he would browse a handful of outlets like The Times of Israel.

Then the brutal Hamas-led attack on Israel happened on Oct. 7, and Mr. Abramson found himself turning to an outlet he said he didn’t rely on much before: Fox News.

“Did I watch it religiously before? No,” he said, adding that he found Fox’s reporting and commentary on Israel’s military campaign in Gaza “less antagonistic for sure” than that of other news organizations. “You don’t feel as attacked,” Mr. Abramson said.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/03/b...ws-israel.html

The rational reaction to being in agreement with Fox News is to seriously reexamine your own position. Not to decide that the network that's been involved in anti-Semitic dog whistles for the past decade was right all along.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/qata...-america-do-it

"How Qatar and the ruling Al Thani family continue to provide sanctuary to terrorists is outrageous. Can anyone imagine after 9/11 that Qatar would have been allowed to host al Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden? What happened in Israel last week is the modern version of 9/11 and Qatar needs to be forced to make a decision – does it stand with the terrorists or with the West?

I know what American, Israeli and Qatari government officials will say: It is complicated. They will explain that by harboring Hamas in Qatar, the Al Thanis can negotiate a possible swap for the Israeli hostages that are being held in Gaza. Qatar, these officials explain, is one of the few countries that has an open line of communication with Israel, the U.S. and the Gaza Strip. "

Expel? Nah. How about deliver to Israel for execution?

Um, we want them there to enable negotiations. Same reason we wanted the Taliban to set up an HQ there.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel took the highly unusual step on Sunday of suspending a far-right minister from his government who had told a Hebrew radio station that dropping a nuclear bomb on Gaza and killing everyone there was “one way” of dealing with the threat from Hamas.

Mr. Netanyahu’s swift action came amid an immediate and broad outcry over the comments made on Sunday morning by Amichay Eliyahu, the minister of heritage from the ultranationalist Jewish Power party. In his remarks, Mr. Eliyahu also said that there was no such thing as noncombatants in Gaza.
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/11...-was-an-option

I am shocked that a party known for being genocidal fascists said something that was genocidal.

There's an image making the rounds on twitter, purporting to show a letter—said to be signed by now nearly 100 Israeli doctors—calling for the annihilation of hospitals in Gaza, even if it means also killing patients. Questionable provenance, but, if it's real, every single one of those murderous nerds should ofc be banned from international medical conferences forever. I hope it's not real, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/11...-was-an-option

I am shocked that a party known for being genocidal fascists said something that was genocidal.
    but ya gotta hand it to him—he did give them the option to go to "ireland or the desert", showing mercy as well as inventing the most exciting new geopolitical category the world has seen in decades

A Likud lawmaker, Ariel Kallner, has called for another nakba that would “overshadow” the original mass displacement in 1948.

“Right now, one goal: Nakba!” Mr. Kallner said on Oct. 8. “Nakba in Gaza and Nakba to anyone who dares to join!” he added.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/w...gypt-gaza.html

In the West, very serious very big-brained guys think the notion of this being a campaign of ethnic cleansing with a clearly articulated genocidal intent is just a conspiracy theory.

https://apnews.com/article/indianapo...82a8b8b2a863a7

"INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A woman who allegedly drove her car into a building in Indianapolis after watching coverage of the Israel-Hamas war told officers she believed the building was an “Israel school,” according to police and court records.

One adult as well as four children — ages 7 months, 1, 2 and 3 years — were inside the Israelite School of Universal and Practical Knowledge at the time of late Friday’s crash, but no one was injured, police said.

The 34-year-old woman was arrested at the scene and was being held Monday at the Marion County Jail on a preliminary charge of criminal recklessness in Friday’s crash. She had not been formally charged as of Monday afternoon, said Michael Leffler, a spokesperson for the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office."

Hamas supporters for you...

Ironically, she targeted a building that is about as far from the Jewish government of Israel as you could possibly get.

Given the actual target, seems like a win-win.

So does anyone actually believe Israel will get rid of Hamas? If not, what was the point of this whole operation other than to give Hamas exactly what it wanted?

So does anyone actually believe Israel will get rid of Hamas? If not, what was the point of this whole operation other than to give Hamas exactly what it wanted?
    Is this a rhetorical question

The answer lies behind the scene. Netanyahu is probably slipping through some judicial reforms while everyone is distracted.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

You guys are not gonna believe what very big-brained right-wing thought leaders are saying about the nazis this week. I'm not gonna link bc well it's actually so beyond the pale that I don't wanna accidentally subject anyone else to it.

Well, apparently it's an excuse to steal some more land for settlers in the West Bank. . .

Well, apparently it's an excuse to steal some more land for settlers in the West Bank. . .
    They've been doing a pretty good job of that without having to commit so many soldiers elsewhere.

Big-brained men in the west: "Israel is the middle east's only democracy and has the world's most moral army, of course they're not committing genocide and ethnic cleansing! How dare you say such antisemitic things!"

Israeli ministers on national TV: "Lol yeah actually we're doing a second Nakba right now"

It's so funny how Iran, Russia, Assad, popular antisemitic influencers like Andrew Tate, Mia Khalifa, and antisemites across the world all back Hamas over Israel, and lefties don't see any shame in siding with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    It's so funny how Iran, Russia, Assad, popular antisemitic influencers like Andrew Tate, Mia Khalifa, and antisemites across the world all back Hamas over Israel, and lefties don't see any shame in siding with them.
    Incredible how you always manage to come up with literally the dumbest take possible. I honestly don't know how you manage to put food on the table.

the world's most borat army:

The weird thing is the IDF has plenty of Arabic speakers...

The weird thing is the IDF has plenty of Arabic speakers...
    Everything he does is for our benefit. Remember the weird English twitter video he sent to civilians in Gaza while they had no internet?

They, uh, they invited John Hagee to speak at the DC pro-Israel march