Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 47th President of the USA : D. J. Trump

Default 47th President of the USA : D. J. Trump

I am going to make a prediction here. Just because I can. I think the people who don't want Trump back haven't what it gets to keep the Orange thing out of the White House.

1. Biden is unappealing, Harris is a dud.
    2. Radical left identity politics keep putting off more and more voters off
    3. The case against Trump is going to give Trump more publicity than money can buy. And unlike what liberals think, it's not gonna put a lot of people off voting for him.

So, that's some of the reasons why I think America will vote a man into the White House a man who should be in prison for his attempt to interfere with the electoral process by inciting people to attack the Capitol.
    Congratulations America

If anything, the far left has fallen in line behind Biden and has basically stayed silent on their most controversial ideas (especially defunding the police). The only people fixating on the "woke" nonsense are the far right.

You also forgot to mention abortion, something that led to recent Republican defeats in states that vote Republican by huge margins.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Doesn't mean that voters aren't put off. No label alone could destroy Biden`s re-election.

Helping anti-abortionists didn't harm Trump so far.

Also, he's gonna been on screens everywhere all the time. Biden would have to fall down the stairs of Air Force One on a daily basis to get similar coverage. But the Orange one will be talking in every appearance.

Finally, if I am far right, your trouble hasn't even started yet.
    Congratulations America

I don't know how a Trump/Biden match-up will turn out. All I know is that I absolutely hate the idea and wish people had the sense to convince Biden not to try for reelection in the first place. I am rapidly coming to think, though, that as much as I absolutely loathe the idea of another Trump term, it would actually be better for him to win the GOP primary (even if under an assumption that it guaranteed him the general election) than for DeSantis to succeed in becoming the GOP candidate. Trump is loathsome, obnoxious, and willing to plunge the country into a civil war to hold onto power. DeSantis aims for real tyranny.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I am not certain I can subscribe to this happy scenario. True, Trump can only stay for one single term. But this time around he knows what he's getting his paws on, and what risks he will have to avoid. It also means that DeSantis could run again after 4 years.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I don't know how a Trump/Biden match-up will turn out. All I know is that I absolutely hate the idea and wish people had the sense to convince Biden not to try for reelection in the first place. I am rapidly coming to think, though, that as much as I absolutely loathe the idea of another Trump term, it would actually be better for him to win the GOP primary (even if under an assumption that it guaranteed him the general election) than for DeSantis to succeed in becoming the GOP candidate. Trump is loathsome, obnoxious, and willing to plunge the country into a civil war to hold onto power. DeSantis aims for real tyranny.
    The problem of Biden not running is we already know how unpopular any potential replacement would be. We all know Harris would end up with 3-5% less than Biden. I doubt Warren does better. And Sanders is as old as Biden.

So, in all of that party there are only 3 potential candidates for the Presidency?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I am not certain I can subscribe to this happy scenario. True, Trump can only stay for one single term. But this time around he knows what he's getting his paws on, and what risks he will have to avoid. It also means that DeSantis could run again after 4 years.
    Trump can only constitutionally stay for one term. We've seen what he thinks about constitutional limits keeping him from holding onto office. But as terrible as he is, he is less domestically tyrannical than DeSantis. And he's not gonna live as long. I'm not as concerned about DeSantis in 2028. He'll already be out as Florida's governor by then. To get another position to keep him in the spotlight he'd have to contest Rick Scott's seat in the Senate or get a high-profile administration position. And Trump holds a grudge.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Yep. Trump is a reflexive tyrant. He doesn't want to create a dictatorship; he just wants to get his way all the time, which leads him to support authoritarian policies (until he gets bored and moves on to the next issue area). DeSantis quite obviously wants to create an authoritarian state, something that he's been doing in Florida with relatively good success. With Trump, the main concern is whether he'll allow the country to implode. With DeSantis, I wouldn't rule out a system like Turkey's or Hungary's, where the constitution is ostensibly followed, except all the institutions charged with interpreting the Constitution know they must do this bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yep. Trump is a reflexive tyrant. He doesn't want to create a dictatorship; he just wants to get his way all the time, which leads him to support authoritarian policies (until he gets bored and moves on to the next issue area). DeSantis quite obviously wants to create an authoritarian state, something that he's been doing in Florida with relatively good success. With Trump, the main concern is whether he'll allow the country to implode. With DeSantis, I wouldn't rule out a system like Turkey's or Hungary's, where the constitution is ostensibly followed, except all the institutions charged with interpreting the Constitution know they must do this bidding.
    And how are you so certain that the man who did all the groundwork wouldn't want to do the same? He'd come back to his hand-picked Supreme Court to start with.

You would be wise to not try to learn from what happened in Turkey and Hungary. The erosion of freedoms in both was mostly effective because people there had gained those freedoms relatively recently.
    Congratulations America

Ron DeSantis's head of FDA or CDC—a neo-Nazi antivaxxer weirdo
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

But remember, these are good people. They probably haven't kicked a puppy in days.

Congratulations America

I'd take that message more seriously if these people weren't voting for the very elites they claimed to detest. And you know which party that consistently voted to screw the working class, right?

Think it's fascinating how difficult it is for opinion journalists to tackle the American cult factory.

David Brooks is known for these kind of troll pieces.

David Brooks is known for these kind of troll pieces.
    He is, but I think mainstream journalists' inability to address eg. the pervasive influence of Evangelical community norms reflects a real blind spot.

I'd take that message more seriously if these people weren't voting for the very elites they claimed to detest. And you know which party that consistently voted to screw the working class, right?
    No.
    Congratulations America

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66463189

Judging drumming up business for recognized hate groups. Trump is the gift that will keep on giving. 4 more years of him and there will be nothing of US institutions left to destroy.

Colorado Supreme Court finds Trump is disqualified from running for president:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...con-rcna130484

Yeah, but is he really dangerous if he's willing to cut Dread's taxes?

Well, 2024 has begun. Happy new year. It's going to be a fucking shit show in America like never before.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's just a bad idea. The activists trying to kick him off the ballot are poisoning the well. He is likely to lose anyway.

Also, minor point, but if he won again I think he would still be the 45th president? It's done by individual and not term.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It's just a bad idea. The activists trying to kick him off the ballot are poisoning the well.
    No, they're purifying the well.

He is likely to lose anyway.
    Whoops looks like you already posted that

It's just a bad idea. The activists trying to kick him off the ballot are poisoning the well. He is likely to lose anyway.

Also, minor point, but if he won again I think he would still be the 45th president? It's done by individual and not term.
    Grover Cleveland is both the 22nd and 24th president of the US.

A recent poll of likely Iowa caucusgoers found that 42 percent of them were more likely to vote for Trump based on his assertion that immigrants are “poisoning the blood” of the country. Twenty-nine percent said the comments don’t matter, and 28 percent responded that it would make them less likely to vote for him.
    And this is why Dread is a fan.

Nihilism is a hell of a drug.

Done by whom? There is no rule or standard.

I don't know whether it's poisoning the well (and it's poisoned either way since his continued presence and campaigning also does so) but I do think the effort to do so is unsustainable absent any criminal conviction

Confederates who had to petition Congress to let them run for political office weren't convicted either.