Page 34 of 55 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1634

Thread: Zionuts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I had a very limited number of non-technical classes that I could fit into my schedule; I picked each with care, researching the professors and past course evals. 'Easy' was never my criterion. Frankly, if you're at a top tier university you're paying $50k+/year for the privilege - the least you could do is get a lot out of it. I have no doubt that the students you're talking about exist (and may even abound), but frankly that wasn't the majority of my classmates who I associated with in engineering/science or the humanities. Pretty much everyone was overloaded with coursework/reading/labs/problem sets/research projects... and a good chunk of us were also holding down part time jobs and various extracurricular commitments. Some people were more hardcore than others, but outside of some jocks I knew, few people were looking to coast through.
    A) I get the impression that you went to one of the top colleges in the country. Not that UNC is far below.
    B) Different majors attract different personalities.
    C) Hard-workers attract other hard-workers.

Most people I knew in grad school were different. Which is why they ended up in grad school.

That being said, I would never have taken a humanities course taught by a random grad student anyway...
    Depending on the university you went to, you might not have much of a choice.

Theoretical frameworks having trouble accounting for once in a century kind of problem? Shocker. There's a difference between 'not fully understanding/explaining a situation' and 'having a dogmatic belief that my position is the One True Reality and refuse to teach other perspectives'.
    Is the grad student not simply using a different framework for understanding the conflict.

I am not an expert on constitutional law, but I am not sure that this is an accurate understanding of free speech protections (nor that assigning a different teacher would qualify as 'punishment'). Totally agreed that it would violate academic freedom.
    You think a public university can punish someone for their viewpoint on the Israeli conflict? Separate from academic freedom.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    A) I get the impression that you went to one of the top colleges in the country. Not that UNC is far below.
    B) Different majors attract different personalities.
    C) Hard-workers attract other hard-workers.

Most people I knew in grad school were different. Which is why they ended up in grad school.
    Absolutely agreed on all points! I have no doubt there were slackers, I just didn't know many of them. I'm not sure that universities (especially solid ones like UNC) should assume they can half-ass the instruction because a good chunk of the students couldn't care less. I recognize that a top tier category I research university does not have teaching undergraduates as a primary focus, but they shouldn't just phone it in, either.

Depending on the university you went to, you might not have much of a choice.
    Fair enough. I had grad students run discussion sections, but lectures were always professors (frankly, almost all were tenure track as well - very few instructors). I guess that's what my tuition got me?

Is the grad student not simply using a different framework for understanding the conflict.
    No. That's the point. They're not saying 'I have a framework, it doesn't fully explain everything, but I think it's the best that's out there'. It's saying 'I have an opinion about what perspective is important and that's the only one I'm going to teach'. That's what the quoted tweet seemed to be saying; I haven't a clue if that was actually her philosophy about teaching, or whether it was just posturing on Twitter, but it's certainly cause to think her class would be less than enlightening.

You think a public university can punish someone for their viewpoint on the Israeli conflict? Separate from academic freedom.
    I think a public university can 'punish' someone for not teaching a class well, yes (assuming punish here means having someone else teach the class). The distinction I'm drawing is between them saying 'you said X publicly, therefore you get Y punishment' vs. 'you said X publicly, this corresponds to a pattern of complaints we've gotten from your class, we don't think you can do this class justice, we're assigning it to someone else'.

I had a professor who genuinely thought there was a form of DNA structure that only he had been able to demonstrate and that it provided a critical insight into cellular processes. It was garbage, and he was a terrible professor, and I suffered through his class because it was semi-required for my specific specialization. But I think the department would have been much better served if they said 'the information you promulgate in your publications is not accepted in the scientific community, you should either not teach it in your course, or have someone else teach the course'. Sure, it's a scientific rather than a political opinion, but I don't see why that should matter.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

The 2024/28 Democratic Presidential candidate is a post-modernist. Speak your truth!

Harris' office does damage control over student’s Israel 'ethnic genocide' comment

Vice President Kamala Harris’ office is working behind the scenes to mend relationships with pro-Israel Democrats after not pushing back on a student who, in asking her a question, accused Israel of “ethnic genocide.”

On Thursday, Harris' senior staff contacted the influential Democratic Majority for Israel to clean up remarks she made Wednesday at George Mason University where Harris was visiting a classroom of students. "We were pleased Vice President Harris’s senior staff reached out to us today to confirm what we already knew: Her ‘commitment to Israel’s security is unwavering,’” said Mark Mellman, the president of the group.

A senior adviser to Harris also reached out to Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fl.) the co-chair of the Bipartisan Anti‐Semitism Taskforce, a source familiar with the outreach told POLITICO.

Deutch and his office did not respond to a request for comment. But the source said it was “fair to say that the group of House Democrats that super care about this noticed it and talked about it.” Harris’ office also called Jonathan Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, Thursday afternoon, the source said.

The incident involving Harris took place on Wednesday, when a student attending an event with the VP to promote voting, said that Israel was conducting an “ethnic genocide” in Palestine and felt that the U.S. was ignoring protests even though Harris had been discussing the power of demonstrating. Harris responded: “Your voice, your perspective, your experience, your truth cannot be suppressed, and it must be heard.”

Israeli news outlets jumped on the comments. “VP Harris to student who accused Israel of 'genocide': Your truth must be heard,” went the headline in The Jerusalem Post. The Times of Israel also chimed in: “Kamala Harris doesn’t reject US student’s ‘ethnic genocide’ claim against Israel.”

Mellman quoted Harris’ senior staff as reassuring them that the vice president “strongly disagrees with the George Mason student’s characterization of Israel.”

Mellman also signaled that he wanted to move on from the dust-up, saying: “The Biden-Harris Administration, as well as President Biden and Vice President Harris personally, have exemplary pro-Israel records, for which we are immensely grateful.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...comment-514837

Sounds like a typical politician response to me.

I think it's weird as a politician's response. Granted I haven't been able to find a video, but it's either a total nonresponse or an endorsement of what was being said.

I don't know if that's what was the VP's intention, which somehow might be better or worse depending on one's viewpoint.

Trying not to provoke the base while saying nothing. I.e., this is what politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I think it's weird as a politician's response. Granted I haven't been able to find a video, but it's either a total nonresponse or an endorsement of what was being said.

I don't know if that's what was the VP's intention, which somehow might be better or worse depending on one's viewpoint.
    Non-response is what it looked like to me. "Your, your your, your"
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

It belongs to that genre of politicians speech where politicians who hold office say something like 'someone should do something about this' as if they're hapless bystanders to currently unfolding events. Like when Biden or Johnson or whoever tweets out something like "we cannot wait any longer to take against climate change". "your perspective on Palestine should be heard, by someone. not by me, though, i'm merely a humble vice president of the united states". It's always a classic.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Apparently, Harris is both an ambitious mercenary and someone who has strong feelings on Israel that she's willing to destroy her career over.

Uuuhhhh is this an accurate translation?

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The guy is far right and this wouldn't be out of character for him (see his wiki page for previous statements).

This is so strange though, I would've thought Israeli authorities would be as mindful of facts IN the ground as they are of facts ON the ground.

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

It's so reputable it doesn't even need to speak to any Palestinian sources, or speak to any of the Palestinian people involved, just quote Israeli police and Parks authority. Some real hard hitting journalism right there.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Oh no I appear to have made a

grave error

Yeah ok I'm out.

This isn't Zionuttery, it's Judeophillic nuttery!

https://apnews.com/article/alabama-b...7eba6978127212

So at a school with an apparent history of antisemitic behaviour, which has dropped the diversity program created in response to it, a jewish student is surprised to have his class do a nazi salute.. and the jewish student is reprimanded, because of course.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Clearly the teaching of critical race theory is the real problem in this country.

I mean, technically all these students and teachers are critically exploring their innate and immutable racial identities...at least in theory.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/moscow...is-in-ukraine/

If the Russians were trying to get Israel to adopt a far more confrontational posture in Syria and move firmly into the Ukrainian camp, there are few better ways they could have done it...

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/moscow...is-in-ukraine/

If the Russians were trying to get Israel to adopt a far more confrontational posture in Syria and move firmly into the Ukrainian camp, there are few better ways they could have done it...
    Heh, was about to post it.

At least they're consistent - if you claim that Jews are the most antisemitic it makes sense to accuse Israel of supporting neo nazis. I don't understand why they're so intent on pissing off every country, though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

They're not. They're being quite friendly with China.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/05/w...far-right.html

Those are quite some quotes. Most of those people would be killed fascists in any other context.

I don't see how Israel survives this as a liberal democracy with a functioning legal system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/21/w...hu-israel.html