View Poll Results: What to do about current health care gaps?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expand the Free Clinic charity approach

0 0%
  • Expand eligibility and funding for Medicaid

0 0%
  • Expand SCHIPs funding (for minors)

0 0%
  • Redefine Disability benefits

0 0%
  • Insurers should accept new types of dependents

0 0%
  • Add Federal Public Option to reform

1 50.00%
  • Create new national clinics funded by taxes

0 0%
  • Other

1 50.00%

Thread: (Another) Health Care Thread

Default (Another) Health Care Thread

The Great Recession is doing a great job of exposing our piece-meal approach to health care---millions of unemployed who lost their employer-subsidized insurance. Falling tax revenue causing budget cuts to Medicaid, proposals to cut Medicare benefits.

Not much of the new health care "reform" has actually begun yet (no large scale inter-state exchanges operating yet, non-student 18-24 year olds on their parents' policies won't go into effect until January....) But the costs of medical care and price of insurance premiums are still going UP. Even COBRA for many unemployed is unaffordable.

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) - Wednesday people from all over the DC metro area with no health insurance turned out at the Washington Convention Center to see a doctor and get medical attention for free.

The National Association of Free Clinics turned the convention center into a massive doctor's office. Early estimates show the clinic saw as many as 1300 patients.

One patient we talked to was Evelyn Jones who brought her children with her. They patiently waited to take advantage of the services offered because her husband lost his job.

"It was just a wonderful opportunity to get healthcare for my children while we are in this transition of not having insurance," Evelyn said "This is a good time because they can have this as a school physical."

Without insurance, the back-to-school necessity can cost a hundred bucks per child.

Then there was Tony Kane from FairfaxVirginia. He too had fallen on tough times and the free clinic couldn't have come at a better moment.

"I don't have health insurance so I can't really afford to go see a doctor. I've been out of work for a while. My son was diagnosed with cancer in February so it's been hard to work being that I'm traveling a lot for his treatments. "

Only two weeks before the clinic Tony tried to get in to see his doctor. But just the visit alone would have started at a hundred dollars and that was not including lab work. All of the services he received at the clinic were free. He was able to get a physical and blood tests to check his cholesterol and hemoglobin.

Tony told us, "I'm very grateful it's a great thing that they are doing this today. I'm amazed almost. I'm in a situation where I needed it. "

All the workers including the medical professionals at the clinic were volunteers. Dr. Rani Whitfield came from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He decided to donate his service here in DC after being part of another free clinic in New Orleans.

"You know the statistics in DC about 52 thousand are uninsured or under insured and they needed the help," said Dr. Whitfield. "So I wanted to come and be a part and it's turned out great and I am having fun."

We checked around and the cost for the services Tony and Evelyn received can really add up. A kid's physical can set you back a hundred dollars, and this does not include immunizations. And an adult physical could cost between $250 to $300 depending on the blood work and other tests needed.

The clinic was only for one day but the National Association of Free Clinics has places around the area where uninsured people can go and receive free care.
    http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...6523&catid=158

See poll.

Unless or until our long-term unemployment problem improves, there will be MILLIONS of people who fall into the cracks. Most notably, at this time of year, young students who require physicals and immunizations to attend public school.

Maybe there just won't be any school nurses left to check, and we should anticipate outbreaks of all sorts of communicable diseases like polio....

It's not an employment problem -- this legislation did very little to deal with costs. I don't see how this won't be an issue no matter what the employment rate is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It's not an employment problem -- this legislation did very little to deal with costs. I don't see how this won't be an issue no matter what the employment rate is.
    I disagree. I think it's related to our predominantly employer-based health insurance scheme. Many of the uninsured do have jobs, but part-time workers / free-lancers / contractors / self-employed don't have an employer subsidy for insurance. They can't afford to buy their own because it's expensive. Laid off folks have to buy COBRA, but it's expensive too. Others can't meet eligibility for Medicaid, even though they're barely eking by with 3 part-time jobs.

We should know it's a problem when people say things like, "I can't retire now because I couldn't afford to pay for health insurance" or "I need a job that helps pay for my health insurance because it's too expensive" or "I have a minimum wage job but no insurance, and don't qualify for Medicaid".....

And did the health care legislation change much about our employer based health insurance scheme?

We're not going to know how bad or great this thing is for years. But so far all I see are increased costs, corporate earnings writedowns, increased premiums to pay for some of the mandates and a very nasty constitutional fight.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...udge-says.html

http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...tional_issues/

Not really, but that's part of my point! A couple of things in the legislation sound appealing, but they haven't taken effect yet. We still operate on the employer-based system, and the big insurers still have an effective monopoly on our health care.

While we may have double digit unemployment for another five years, I wanted to ask people what a short-term solution might be? All you have to do is wonder about school-aged kids who 1) haven't seen a doctor, 2) parents can't afford to see a doctor, 3) face cuts to State Board of Health public health, and 4) are not immunized.

Let them eat cake.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?