Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some thoughts on the blog

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The reason there weren't any articles published is because no one was submitting them, not because any were rejected for poor quality.
    I'm not saying that they're being rejected, I'm saying that because there's more hoops to go through, its easier to just create a thread in D&D rather than submit them in the first place.

We can deal with badly written ones, but if it was as easy as clicking "New Article" and submitting it I think there'd be far, far more

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm not saying that they're being rejected, I'm saying that because there's more hoops to go through, its easier to just create a thread in D&D rather than submit them in the first place.

We can deal with badly written ones, but if it was as easy as clicking "New Article" and submitting it I think there'd be far, far more
    And that's more or less where I'm coming from Kinda like a blog-ring. But at the same time I suppose it can be very uncomfortable to relinquish control of one's baby like that, esp. if there are great plans for the blighter.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Have we considered pimping other people's blogs or pimping articles and new findings? And, of course, providing commentary. You know, like even serious blogs often do.

By pimping I don't mean crass advertisement of course.
    Poaching?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Hmm. So as you all probably noticed my 'military organization' thread sorta started as a random D&D thread and was promoted to a blog post. I'm of two minds about this - I didn't really put in the requisite effort to give it the 'voice' of a blog post, and didn't really stake out a firm position (as I would have tried to do for a blog post). For that matter, my tone was first person at times and definitely conversational. Of course, I did spend far too long writing the post, so I'm happy to have it put up on the blog regardless.

I think this is the defining differences between any random D&D starting post - even a good one - and a blog post. The former might be interesting and even relatively typo free, but it will generally have a more relaxed approach to style and substance than might be found in a blog. I don't think that most of the 'serious' D&D thread starters would have trouble writing a reasonably spelled/written FP on a topic, but giving it punch and style takes a lot more work and editing. Whether or not this can be addressed through a separate 'drafts' forum or merely a concerted effort on the part of the writers (or whether my style bar is set too high) is an open question.