Thread: Urban/suburban vs rural areas?

Default Urban/suburban vs rural areas?

After arguing with GGT in the Dental thread, I wondered if maybe there is a difference (beyond redneck attitudes) between urban/suburban and very rural areas like mine? Is it a mindset? Is it that we know each other, and our neighbors, better than some in a city? Is it because we care more about our fellow human being? Is it tolerance? Is it attitudes? Why can 2 people who get along very well, disagree on something as basic as food and shelter?

Any thoughts or ideas?
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Are you serious, munch? Earlier tonight we learned that attitudes toward hair-cuts and teeth are specific to local regions. There's even cultural overlap.

It's bogus for you to suggest that your little redneck town cares more about fellow human beings than city folk.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Are you serious, munch? Earlier tonight we learned that attitudes toward hair-cuts and teeth are specific to local regions. There's even cultural overlap.

It's bogus for you to suggest that your little redneck town cares more about fellow human beings than city folk.
    Wanna bet? This little redneckville place I live in cares more about people than any city I have ever lived in!

I do seriously believe there are cultural differences that go beyond hair-cuts and torture! I know people who don't know who the fuck lives next door...in an apartment building...in cities. You really don't find that much in the small, rural areas. People here tend to go out of their way to know their neighbors. We also tend to go out of our way to make visitors to our town feel more than welcome here.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

I dunno 'bout Munchkin's town, but I've moved from the capital of Sweden to a sparsely populated region where I frequently come into contact with country folk, and my experience has been that they tend to be different from city-folk in the way they relate to other people. It's a mixed blessing, but I've grown to appreciate the friendliness, the tolerance, and the thoughtfulness that pervades this part of Sweden.

I've read a few theories about differences between urban and rural areas wrt interpersonal relations and suchlike, but I can't remember any of them. I do think it's reasonable to expect some differences between very different environments.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I think it is that rural folk tend to be more trusting. More nosy too, but also more willing to help when it's needed!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Of course there are differences. But I think it's too broad to say it's because one is rural, the other citi-fied. Plenty of folks move between the two types of places, and take their styles of interaction with them.

This little redneckville place I live in cares more about people than any city I have ever lived in!
    Right, so you've lived in cities? For how long? Did you have a chip on your shoulder about how they could never be as warm as country folk and you couldn't wait to get out of there?

Of course there are differences. But I think it's too broad to say it's because one is rural, the other citi-fied. Plenty of folks move between the two types of places, and take their styles of interaction with them.
    Not really that broad at all, if you think about it!

Right, so you've lived in cities? For how long? Did you have a chip on your shoulder about how they could never be as warm as country folk and you couldn't wait to get out of there?
    I lived in Denver for 2 years, and NEVER once in that time did my neighbors do more than say "hi" in the elevator! I made the effort to be friendly to them, because that's my nature! I also lived in Salt Lake City for a year, and Los Angeles for about 8 months, with the same reaction. Everyone looked at me like I was a fucking alien for speaking! Do NOT try to tell me the city is better because there are more assholes there!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

You must be right. Everyone who lives in cities is a cold-hearted ass hole.

You must be right. Everyone who lives in cities is a cold-hearted ass hole.
    No...not everyone...just a lot of them!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

In which environment did they develop most of their behaviour?

Or where/how were their parents raised? Plenty of Americans from small towns attend big universities, are exposed to different types of interactions, then go back home to their small town to raise a family.

... is attending "big university" very similar to living in a city for much of your life?

During the college ages of 17-21, I'd say yes, it makes an impact for a whole life. How about you? Hasn't going to school in Sweden made a big difference in your life?

It all comes down to our Monkeysphere. The rural population has fewer interactions with unique people, so you're more likely to remember who everyone else is. This builds up, and before long everyone knows everyone's business.

In urban living the populations are a lot denser, creating more interactions, far more than the brain has the capacity to keep track of. So it creates a feeling of disconnect and standoffishness. You either hope to at least remember the names of everyone in your building, or you focus on understanding just those on your floor.

There are differences between everywhere, the fact that there are differences between rural and urban areas is simply a corollary to that.