Thread: Corruption Wins! :D

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar

Default Corruption Wins! :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38742223...more_politics/

CHICAGO — A Chicago jury has reached a single, unanimous guilty verdict against former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. He has been convicted of lying to federal agents.
    The jury was unable to reach unanimous verdicts on 23 other counts. The judge says he plans to call a mistrial on those remaining counts.
    U.S. attorneys say the government plans to retry the Blagojevich case "as quickly as possible."
    Jurors had deliberated for 14 days and earlier Tuesday asked for advice on filling out their verdict forms. They also asked for a copy of the oath they took before deliberating.
    Blagojevich had pleaded not guilty to trying to sell or trade President Barack Obama's old Senate seat and leverage the power of his office for personal gain.
    His brother, a Nashville, Tenn., businessman, also pleaded not guilty.
    ahhahahahaha

I enjoy blank walls.

Corruption always wins.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It was always seen as a weak case. As scummy as it sounds and as inept as Blagojevich was, it always seemed as if he was simply playing political games (and failed to execute on anything particularly corrupt).

Hopefully they don't keep retry and retrying this over and over.

Even so, the current conviction carries a potential 5 year sentence. Even getting another one or two convictions on other minor charges is probably enough to put him away for a while. Given that his chances of public office (or much of any position of power) in the future are nil, that's probably the only real punishment that will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It was always seen as a weak case. As scummy as it sounds and as inept as Blagojevich was, it always seemed as if he was simply playing political games (and failed to execute on anything particularly corrupt).

Hopefully they don't keep retry and retrying this over and over.
    Jury was hung 11:1. You only have to get to one juror to cause a mis-trial. On the other hand, I seriously doubt this clown could pull off jury tampering, unless you count his pre-trial media blitz.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Source for 11:1? Those kinds of tallies are hard to come by unless several jurors leak.

And frankly, if they can't convince 12 people that he's guilty on all counts that's the fault of the prosecutors. And why we have a jury system.

Source for 11:1? Those kinds of tallies are hard to come by unless several jurors leak.

And frankly, if they can't convince 12 people that he's guilty on all counts that's the fault of the prosecutors. And why we have a jury system.
    I heard it on NPR this morning in an interview with one of the jurors. He was pissed off because he thought the gov was guilty. And I agree with your frank assessment, unless of course the hold out juror had an agenda or something, which is what I was alluding to (though tbh I doubt it).
    The Rules

Not the fault of the prosecutors but it is true that it's why we have a jury system. The founders did not want successful prosecutions. They strongly believed in nullification, that the community should shield people from government action and just obstruct anything they didn't like. We're familiar with the universalist rhetoric, but the founders idealized the small local community and the triumph of its values over those of some distant government. Which, whether they'd have been comfortable with it or not, is best typified by the racist injustices we're used to hearing about from the Jim Crow south, fiction like To Kill a Mockingbird, and the impressive disparity in our contemporary felony conviction rates.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

That was a solid point that also made me chuckle.