Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it possible to implement an "are you sure you're done?" feature?

Default is it possible to implement an "are you sure you're done?" feature?

Don't take this as a strong request or anything

Basically what I'm wondering is if it's possible to set up vB to warn you if you try to navigate away from a thread while you have text in the reply box. You know, so that you don't accidentally lose a long post or anything.

Thoughts?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Don't take this as a strong request or anything

Basically what I'm wondering is if it's possible to set up vB to warn you if you try to navigate away from a thread while you have text in the reply box. You know, so that you don't accidentally lose a long post or anything.

Thoughts?
    GOD wouldn't this be nice!??!?! I've lost some, IMHO, extraordinary posts this way. (Humanity's loss, really. )
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I take back my request, but please implement a script that randomly decides to delete everything in the reply box 10 secs after initiation of typing, or if the contents amount to less than 100 characters.

I take back my request, but please implement a script that randomly decides to delete everything in the reply box 10 secs after initiation of typing, or if the contents amount to less than 100 characters.
    Now you're just being sarcastic.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Or a script that automatically deletes the and smileys from any post in the discussion forum

Or a script that automatically deletes the and smileys from any post in the discussion forum
    And if Alber ever shows up, I'd like to have these deleted out of his posts only.

All inane Aimy nonsense aside, the OP request is a valid one. IMHO.
    The Rules

I could get into that one.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

No, it really isn't.

I change my mind about posting regularly after having typed, why should I have to click an extra thing to do that?

It takes a lot of talent to "accidentally" leave a page.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I propose we implement, if possible, in the Minx operating system, a method of being more careful, so that accidents can be avoided at the personal level, instead of being handled by a computer...
    . . .

No, it really isn't.

I change my mind about posting regularly after having typed, why should I have to click an extra thing to do that?

Actually all you have to do is to press tab to get to the submit button and then accidentally hit backspace instead of enter, which isn't difficult to do because one is right above the other. Although tbh most of the times that it's happened to me it's probably been due to accidental mouse-gestures, which I suppose is fairly unique to my brand of ADD-driven browsing. I think you should have to click extra so that you become more disciplined. I realise that this is probably no big issue for you given that you don't regularly write Chaloobi-length posts in D&D or anywhere else when the stakes are high our risk-evaluation changes accordingly. Sure it might not be likely that a comet will hit us and wipe out human civilisation, but the stakes are high enough that even that small risk is too big.

Actually all you have to do is...<snip>
    Write your (long) posts in a document editor, then copy and paste.
    . . .

Sometimes I do, mostly when I feel like kicking my netbook in the gut real, real hard sometimes you just wanna hurt something, you know? Even if it means having to alt-tab back and forth for half an hour.

Btw re. the OP I'm guessing it'd be fairly simple to just use some sort of greasemonkey script to get this functionality without having to mess with vBulletin. Project for the worst day of the semester

Actually all you have to do is to press tab to get to the submit button and then accidentally hit backspace instead of enter, which isn't difficult to do because one is right above the other. Although tbh most of the times that it's happened to me it's probably been due to accidental mouse-gestures, which I suppose is fairly unique to my brand of ADD-driven browsing. I think you should have to click extra so that you become more disciplined. I realise that this is probably no big issue for you given that you don't regularly write Chaloobi-length posts in D&D or anywhere else when the stakes are high our risk-evaluation changes accordingly. Sure it might not be likely that a comet will hit us and wipe out human civilisation, but the stakes are high enough that even that small risk is too big.
    The backspace and enter keys have a \ key separating them.

Pay more attention.

Your stakes aren't particularly high, anyway. It's not like either of you are writing novels or anything.

Hello provincial American woman, pleased to meet you, would you like to view some of our international keyboard layouts?

Your stakes aren't particularly high, anyway. It's not like either of you are writing novels or anything.
    Well duh, not when the risks are so great. Security will give rise to more productivity

pretty please?

Tish tosh, talent has nothing to do with it.
    The Rules

Pay more attention.
    Before the OSH Act, that's what they used to tell factory workers when they lost and arm, right before they got fired.

Humanity's loss, not mine. I'll be dead sooner or later anyway. Fuck the rest of you monkeys.

Hello provincial American woman, pleased to meet you, would you like to view some of our international keyboard layouts?

Well duh, not when the risks are so great. Security will give rise to more productivity
    The Rules

The OP's request is doable, I can see exactly how to do it, maybe next weekend, but don't put money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The OP's request is doable, I can see exactly how to do it, maybe next weekend, but don't put money on it.
    I don't like to bet anyway. I prefer to invest my Money in the stock market.
    The Rules

Is it possible to make it optional on a per user basis? That way those of us who don't want this functionality don't have to deal with it?
    . . .

The probability of this feature being implemented just plummeted.

Good. Because it seems like it would be a royal pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Is it possible to make it optional on a per user basis? That way those of us who don't want this functionality don't have to deal with it?
    Good. Because it seems like it would be a royal pain in the ass.
    Well fuckinay.
    The Rules

No worries, if it's doable then it should certainly be installable as a userscript for those that wants it, so my fears have already been lain to rest

No, it really isn't.

Because 1 click is bugger all, especially compared to losing an entire page.
    Where?

Whereas your stake of 1 measly click is how high exactly?

Tbh it's not just one click she has to read the thread, decide to reply, type something, and then change her mind, and then wait, and then decide to leave the page with text remaining in the reply-box, so it is complicated.

This sort of thing, btw, is why I like the customisation options afforded us by modern browsers I wish there were lots of great userscripts and userstyles for vBulletin...

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Where?
    Spoiler:

This is why you don't use cheap keyboards....
    Click to view the full version

and holyshit dude, clean that thing!

For an expensive keyboard, they seem to have forgotten several letters
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Gamer keyboard, ugh

I'll stick with this