Thread: Share the song....

Default Share the song....

....that best fits your perspective on current life in your world.

Might be fun, or illuminating. We could even try Music Appreciation 101, dissecting the lyrics.

Tonight, at least, I'd pick this:

http://www.lyrics.com/american-pie-l...on-mclean.html

You can even listen to the song while you read the lyrics!

Not one of my favorite tunes or genres or artists, but over time it's come to be so [perfect] for so many things in American Life that it seems practically prophetic. So Bye bye, Miss American Pie. No more Dream Whip on the apple pie or prom queens. Forget the Chevy's, baseball games, and hot dogs, too. Lipstick and ketchup won't help any more than tiny flags on 4th of July. Pigs still can't fly.

(To be honest, I really hate that Palin stole Barracuda, lipstick on pigs, and other euphemisms, since she's not much more than a pageant punk who shoots polar bears from helicopters. I'd like to invite her for some "tea" bagging.)

Time to make a new American dream, because the old one is dead. Refrain...

So anyway, this song has it all: youthful optimism, love and lovers, jealousy, disappointment, competition, court jesters and queens, helter skelter, fall-out shelters, generations lost in space, football games and half-times, booze and dancing, God and the Devil, angels, broken church bells, music that won't play, sacrifices, coming of age. Most of all, depending on how you define "music" and some other words (like Die), the meaning changes. "Sing along".

Rule 12, just a 'lil bit
    Last edited by GGT; 08-28-2010 at 03:47 AM.

wiki says:
    In 2001 "American Pie" was voted No. 5 in a poll of the 365 Songs of the Century compiled by the Recording Industry Association of America and the National Endowment for the Arts.
    The top five were: "Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland, "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby, "This Land Is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie, "Respect" by Aretha Franklin and "American Pie".
    It may of course be apocryphal but apparently given the song's rambling confusing storyline an interviewer once asked McLean what the song meant to him personally and he replied "Never having to work again".[1]

ok, so we get to interpret the songs any way we want. Written when Vietnam was a big thorn in the late 60s, with a draft and 18 yr olds couldn't vote. So I hear it and think of frustration about one's own destiny, rebellion against the establishment. Or at least feeling sadness about outer forces (he may have felt that way about his idols dying in plane crashes, whatever). I think Music was meant to mean hopeful, optimistic innocence, and trust. Which can change every decade or so.

Isn't anyone up this late? Early?

I'm here!

According to everything I have ever read, this was written to eulogize those who died in the plane crash!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    I'm here!

According to everything I have ever read, this was written to eulogize those who died in the plane crash!
    But, but.....

*I could surmise he meant Elvis by king, or just that all the old order was gone and now he has to make new Music on his own. Kids today could say who the fuck is James Dean? Or that Lenin meant Lennon, and Marxism in the park was Strawberry Fields Forever or.....oh never mind*

Well, now you get to name your song, and over-analyze the lyrics. ps you don't have to be "right" about why, but please do share why said song would be a snap shot in time of your life. Sort of like the way people pick certain songs to put in Time Capsules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD8h...ature=artistob

Ok, Munchkin ain't smart enough to figure out how to just post the video so just click the link! In case you can't tell from the song, I seem to be enamored again!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

So now you're forever his, faithfully? WTF?

edit: Helping munchie out per request.

This one would be "The Friend's" song:

This one would be munchie's song:

but also this one:

Last edited by GGT; 08-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.

NOT "The Thing"...THE FRIEND! lol
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

oh shit, my bad. oops! Fixed.

Now for something completely different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPDJ...layer_embedded
    Last edited by termite; 08-28-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Such is Life...

ha, that video is not available.

Try now Miss G

Tis a nice song.
    Such is Life...