Thread: Undelete a folder

Default Undelete a folder

I was just trying to attach a file in an email and while in the file attachment window instead a folder I clicked on got deleted. I think I may have knocked the button as I was trying to move the mouse (USB keyboard in front of Laptop)

Apparently the deleted folder has not gone into the Recycle Bin either? Just been straight deleted. Anything I can do (without paying for ridiculous software)?

ctrl+z on that window? Might be too late now. You're not remoting in to the computer you deleted it from, are you?

I tried Ctrl+Z immediately, didn't work. No, not remoting.

Panic over anyway. I'd moved it not deleted it. Must have trigged a mouseclick as I was moving the mouse and its moved the folder. Found it now and cut and pasted it back to its original location. Phew. That was my Payroll folder for work, 1000 payroll documents nearly went missing! Had a backup anyway but the backups out of date.

I hate Laptops ...

Your company might want to invest in one of those ridiculous softwares
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

We pay for enough ridiculous systems already

Had I been unable to recover the data then we would not have lost anything critical - it'd just mean a load more effort for myself piecing stuff back together. Nothing original is on my Laptop though, everything is elsewhere it'd just take me a load of effort to recover it.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    After spending $50 for backup software I realized it was needlessly complicated and that a batch file could do exactly what I wanted. A snippet of the one I made, which backs up whatever project I'm working on to two different locations:

Code:
    @echo off
    set backupcmd=xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y

echo ### Backing up Prometheus...
    set driveone=R:\PrometheusBackup
    set drivetwo=E:\PrometheusBackup
    %backupcmd% "D:\Files\UnrealWorks\Projects\Prometheus" "%driveone%"
    %backupcmd% "D:\Files\UnrealWorks\Projects\Prometheus" "%drivetwo%"

echo Backup Complete!
    @pause
    There are other folders and files that it backs up which is why I set driveone and drivetwo as variables. Double click a batch file on my desktop, wait a minute at most and everything's done!
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

I don't recognise all of the switches /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /y

So you just have that as a batch file and double-click it and done?

EDIT: Hmm, anyone ever use the term robocopy? Apparently in Vista xcopy has been deprecated in favour of that, I'd never heard of it. I might run into some trouble with xcopy over the 254 character limit in file and folder names.

If I remember correctly, when you go to delete something that will not be sent to the Recycle Bin, and just immediately deleted, like off of a flash drive, Windows will usually pop up a message along the lines of "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?"...
    . . .

I was concerned because the files were "deleted" via Firefox and not how I would normally delete anything.

I think you're right though.