Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't black Americans swim?

My college had a swimming requirement for graduation. Since they required two phys ed credits per year, those who couldn't swim, including one of my best friends, got their PE credits in swimming and QED.

Apparently the rule started when a student drowned one summer (not at school). Her wealthy family donated the cost of a pool to the college with the stipulation that all students must pass a test. I passed mine Freshman week before class started, but those who couldn't learned sometime during the four years.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Apparently the rule started when a student drowned one summer (not at school). Her wealthy family donated the cost of a pool to the college with the stipulation that all students must pass a test. I passed mine Freshman week before class started, but those who couldn't learned sometime during the four years.
    Every liberal arts college with a swimming requirement has the same urban legend about the wealthy family who lost a student to drowning.

It's really more of a post-WWII ubermench thing.

http://www.snopes.com/college/admin/swimtest.asp

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...k_or_graduate/

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    How do you start learning how to swim at a few weeks of age? All they can do is eat cry and shit and they're not even good at that.
    In the bathtub with mommy.

"Parents who don't know how to swim are very likely to pass on not knowing how to swim to their children," says Ms Anderson.
    *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    The weird thing is, the really small babies can usually "swim" quite well - they usually know to hold their breath from the beginning.
    It transcends species. My snapper turtle swam really well when he was tiny, but now that he's almost a year old he cannot swim as well.