Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Photograph" Thread.

Sounds like a Manhattan bar bitch who only wanted to make Appletinis. FFS, you could buy a bottle of 10 cane rum (which isn't cheap rum), some liquid cane sugar syrup and fresh mint, and have a whole pitcher for what she'd charge for a few crappy Mojitos. Was the atmosphere worth that? You couldn't choose the music and you already have a girlfriend so..... I hope if you write the manager of the bar you just say you won't be back.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Hehe...

I just can't help thinking of mixed drinks as being girly.

Now I really want a mojito. Wonder if I could make them with Bacoardi lemon rum (I also have cherry, this has become my current guilty pleasure)
    You think that even Martinis are girly?

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    You didn't understand me. It's a anglo-saxon thing that mixed drinks are just for girls. In continental Europe such a cliche deasn't exist. Man just drink what they like.
    There are some exceptions of drinks that are still considered girly. Most alcopops spring to mind!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    You think that even Martinis are girly?
    Gin tonics are, too.

There's nothing wrong with drinking girly drinks. Hell, I've been know to do it. But if you require mixers for your liquor...
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Your american views on girly drinks are odd! Martinis are for old movie stars and James Bond, they are not girly!

And it is okay for guys to drink Bud Lite?

It's not okay for anyone to drink Bud Lite.

I had a beer I actually liked a couple of weeks ago, you know (I don't think you were in IRC when I mentioned it).

It tasted blackberryish. And now I can't find the stuff at any store.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Fancy! Did you try the cherry beer yet? (kriek)

That is generally also considered girly here, if you order the big bands that are very sweet. Some of the better, more obscure and sour ones are okay to drink as a guy though.

Riga, Latvia
    Last edited by earthJoker; 09-17-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Riga, Latvia
    When did you visit us, and why weren't I notified?
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

In 2007 and I wasn't active on the Atari Forum at that time.

In the Kemeri national park (about a hour by train from Riga)

I would like to visit Riga again. Very beautiful city. Could you send me some Riga Balsam?

I took these two on South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan

The ant here is just a bonus - wanted the flower.

These guys were in a downed log near the fire pit. An 8 yr old was screwing around with them all day and ended up getting bitten. Good lesson for him I think.

(Writhing. Writhing. Writhing in a snake pit.)

The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I would like to visit Riga again. Very beautiful city. Could you send me some Riga Balsam?
    If you ever decide to visit Riga again, let me know. And yeah, I guess I could.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Camera phone but wtf, from last weekends ride.
    Such is Life...

I can't believe nobody thought the snake pic was cool. I thought it was amazing. I had no idea garter snakes hung out in groups like that . . . .
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

A homage to the mother of all mountains:

Matterhorn, ja?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

So, why is photograph in "quote marks"?

Ullock Pike & Dodd with Skiddaw in the background. Seen from across Bassenthwaite.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

So, why is photograph in "quote marks"?
    I don't "know".

That snake ball is cool, but creepy!

IMG_3903 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    I don't "know".
    Spectacular photogragh.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Matterhorn, ja?
    Ja, das ist das Matterhorn!

Barbary Ground Squirrel on Fuerteventura

Ja, das ist das Matterhorn!
    Aye, thought so.

Skiied in Zermatt once on the Swiss side, and in Cervinia twice on the Italian side. It's quite an imposing mountain.

Barbary Ground Squirrel on Fuerteventura
    Stunning!

You're quite the photographer joker.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Went to an art fest, here is a little series of pics centered around one object.
    The object is a sphere of wood created with layers of plywood. Each layer is glued and screwed. It is 8 inches thick, hollow, and weighing in at 3000 pounds. The artist was quite a character.

The Object...

IMG_3909 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

The artist...

IMG_3918 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

The artist 'splainin' it...

IMG_3933 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

An intimate moment between the viewers and the object d'art...

IMG_3928 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

The artist scrutinizing the viewer...

IMG_3938 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Skiied in Zermatt once on the Swiss side, and in Cervinia twice on the Italian side. It's quite an imposing mountain.
    Yes, I think it is really hard to get the size and effect of mountains on a photo, but you can capture it's beauty.

Stunning!

You're quite the photographer joker.
    Thank you. There was a lot of luck on this one.

I think that Bitter Jeweler is much more of an artist with his photos. I am mostly searching for the perfect angle of beautiful motives.

Awww...thanks Joker. But a lot of photography has to do with subject matter, and you have some pretty amazing subject matter(horn)! It's also being in the right place at the right time (squirrel). The other part of photography is showing the world through your eyes.

IMG_3882 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

IMG_3830 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

IMG_3877 by Bitter Jeweler, on Flickr

I've noticed I tend to favor portrait orientation compositions. Hmmmm...

I LOVE the background in this one!

Here's a pic of Michigan's Lake Superior coast (that's my daughter's head just in frame at the bottom. We had lunch right next to that tree on the far right of the point):

This is looking from the other side of the point in the pic above:

This is Lake of the Clouds. The rock formations to the left are a billion years old:

If you've ever wondered what a molting cicada looks like . . . .

and

Is it a reef? No, its FUNGUS!

I thought this little guy was gorgeous:

The Rules

Great pics Choobs, no doody
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

If I thought you really wanted me to, I would post you some more. But I believe now that you honestly did not like those pics. Anyway, here's some more from my Northern Michigan backpacking trip last August:

This one's the top of that point I was talking about. That's the family being dangerous . . . .

This is Mosquito Beach. That's sandstone and the dark area is where it drops about 30 feet down. The rock sticking out to the left is where we cooked dinner every night and watched the sun set.

Same place but from water level and the opposite direction:

This one's looking down in the water from about a hundred feet up. Those rocks are as big as cars.

I held the camera out over the drop to get this pic. I couldn't even see what I was photographing...

More fungus of course....

The Rules

Cool pics, EyeKhan!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Ike, you certainly have a good eye for fungi.
    Such is Life...

Believe it or not, there's a lot more where that came from. I LOVE mushrooms. I'm considering a picture book.
    The Rules

Fungi are interesting things, not just to look at...

I remember being at a party many years ago where everyone was on magic mushrooms, it was a blast, but in particular I remember one guy sitting there on a stool saying over and over again "I'm a fungi, I'm a fun guy, I'm a fungi, I'm a fun guy." And laughing hysterically at his little joke...

...actually the whole damn party laughed at his little joke.

Your pics reminded me of that night.
    Such is Life...