Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Photograph" Thread.

You are always welcome. You are rich enough to afford it
    (with the current currency rates Switzerland is even more expensive)
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Nice fall pics there, joker. Looks a lot like where I live, only our mountains are more like big hills. Still, deciduous trees alongside water trumps everything.

We have been blessed with a very nice Autumn this year. But the golden period is over now, we are entering the grey period.

Aren't you from New England? It's supposed to be the best place for autumns.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yes, I'm in Pennsylvania. It's been a glorious autumn. Slow to start. Then bursts of yellow and orange, vibrant reds, still hanging on the trees. We haven't had much leaf drop yet. There's a huge pile of leaves across the street, mostly dogwood, pear and plum debris, waiting for the municipal leaf collection. But our locust, oaks, and maples are still wearing their autumn colors on their limbs like jewelry. Lovely earrings that change color while they hang, and rustle in the wind.

Spring day here - got to 34°C (93°F) and its still 29° (about 82°F) at 7:30pm which is warm for November.

It is dryer and hotter than it should be at this time of year, another drought on this side of the country while from North to South on the east coast it is wetter than ever.

It has become serious enough that cattle and sheep farmers are trucking stock from west to east to save the stock (and their livelihoods) from devastation. Needless to say it is not an ideal choice for anyone involved, least of all the stock that endure up to 28 hours in a truck trailer crossing the country but it is better than the risk of starving in a dustbowl.
    Such is Life...

My gardenia is blooming again, even though it has been in the upper 50s/lower 60s (Fahrenheit) here.

This plant has really grown like crazy since I transplanted it to the Western side of the house when I moved here 3 years ago.

Jack Sparrow is that you?
    Such is Life...

Uh, what is that exactly?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Bitter's pierced labia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Bitter's pierced labia.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Uh, what is that exactly?
    Tis a Greek ear me lad.
    Such is Life...

Which genetically means an Ottoman ear.

Can both of you explain your responses. Google gave me no love.

I'm assuming Termite was saying "Bitter is Greek, and that is his ear." My response was that after many centuries of Turk invasions and occupations, Greece has hardly any actual ethnic Greeks (whose fair skin and hair is well-established by the literature of antiquity). Genetically Greece is largely Turk.

Greeks aren't alone in this, as the phenomenon goes right up the Balkan peninsula. Hell, I'd guess that if you looked at allele frequencies, you'd find a gradient up the peninsula. Gradient, cool.

And I realize thems fighting words to a certain generation of Greeks, who harbor a lot of hatred of Turks, most recently expressed over Cyprus. But that's not how I meant it, so I hope you don't get fussy.

pfft, no offense taken.

I am suposedly part Pontian Greek, and Croatian from my mothers side.

How interesting! I had never heard of Pontian Greeks before, though of course I'd heard of Trebizond. Very colorful!

I am also part russian and english. Dads side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    Heh. My sister did some geneology research on the family and found my ancient grandfather has some Russian roots. She mentioned it to him at a family thing and he's like "huh? Aw bull..."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Pfff ... you 'Mericans are so impure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

That's why we're smarter and more robust than the old world pure-breds (in-breds?).
    The Rules

If by robust you mean morbidly obese
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    The Rules

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Hey! Its been while. I am honored.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    Bah, you're not Greek. You're an American mutt like most of the rest of us.

It's called hybrid vigor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Nah, that's nurture, not nature.

I like being an American mutt, it means I can celebrate all sorts of holidays!

Anywho:

Tear, I was raised "Greek", baptized Greek orthodox, blah blah blah. So I am Greek

Cat, that's a B E A U tiful rose!

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I like being an American mutt, it means I can celebrate all sorts of holidays!

Anywho:
    So pretty I had to quote it. Well done.
    The Rules