Thread: Well, that was freaky

Default Well, that was freaky

So as I'm sure most of you have seen by now on the news, there was a shooting at my work this morning. Long story short, a guy shot and seriously wounded a doctor and then barricaded himself in one of the hospital towers. About 2.5 hours later, he shot and killed himself and a relative (possibly due to SWAT moving in?). Otherwise, details are pretty murky; I'm sure more will come out in the next few days.

The freaky part is that I'm not really surprised. First, our campus is in a truly awful neighborhood. Second, our rent-a-cop security is pretty execrable - employees get mugged/beaten all the time, a lab tech was just murdered a few weeks ago (albeit not directly on campus), and there's always the chance of getting hit by a stray bullet (not kidding on this one - a woman was shot in front of Kennedy Krieger a few months back for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time). While security theoretically screens everyone who enters a hospital, it's quite lax and even ID badges are rarely required.

What's really disturbing, though, is that this incident is hardly isolated. A similar situation happened in my sister's ER in Chicago last year (despite the fact that the hospital is secured by the feds), and it's a pretty common security concern. People are hardly at their best in the hospital, but isn't there a better way to secure them from the emotionally distraught (or crazy)?

Sounds like the doctor will be okay, thankfully, but it's pretty crazy.

We don't get such things on the news here. But that does really sound awful. I am glad you are OK. I don't really know how I would cope with such situations
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Geez
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

wow

(no, I have seen no news at all today)
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

When I read about that, I thought of you wiggin. Glad you're okay. It is a horrible area (as is Temple), but there was an accompanying article about increased violence at all US hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    We don't get such things on the news here. But that does really sound awful. I am glad you are OK. I don't really know how I would cope with such situations
    Oh you cope. The strange part is where you realise you can differentiate between gunshots and other loud noises.

Hope nobody too close got harmed Wiggin.
    Congratulations America

The gunman, 50-year-old Paul Warren Pardus, had been listening to the surgeon around midday when he "became emotionally distraught and reacted ... and was overwhelmed by the news of his mother's condition," Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III said.
    Pardus pulled a semiautomatic gun from his waistband and shot the doctor once, the commissioner said. The doctor, identified by colleagues as orthopedic surgeon David B. Cohen, collapsed outside the eighth-floor room where Pardus' mother, Jean Davis, was being treated.
    Pardus then holed up in the room in a more than two-hour standoff that led authorities to lock down a small section of the Nelson Building while allowing the rest of the sprawling red-brick medical complex — a cluster of hospital, research and education buildings — to remain open.
    When officers made their way to the room, they found Pardus and his mother shot to death, he on the floor, she in her bed.
    Metal detectors limited
    Harry Koffenberger, vice president of security, said the hospital uses handheld metal detectors to screen patients and visitors known to be high-risk. However, with 80 entrances and 80,000 visitors a week, it is not realistic to place metal detectors and guards everywhere.
    "Not in a health-care setting," Koffenberger said.
    The hospital will review procedures and look again at the use of metal detectors, he said.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39213367...me_and_courts/

Also---http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39213800/ns/health-health_care

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Hey don't shoot the messenger.

Hope the doctor's going to be alright.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

You'd be surprised the number of assaults in hospitals, against care givers. They don't need a gun. ED personnel almost needs hazard pay.

(News says the doc is in serious condition but expected to be fine.)

On a somewhat lighter note, very shortly after the standoff started, we all got stern emails about having to wear our ID badges at all times (as if that would have helped) and that anyone who wasn't wearing a badge should go home. My (black) colleague joked that it must mean the shooter was white, since otherwise they could just profile at the door (the subtext being that some 2/3 of Baltimore and the overwhelming majority of East Baltimore are black and much higher crime, but the vast majority of non-menial/security workers at Hopkins are white) - he made a small bet to that effect. To counter him, I bet that the doctor was Jewish.

Shooter? Paul W. Pardus, an African American man. Victim? David B. Cohen, Jewish doctor.

Yes, I know, a cliche, but what can I say? I have amazing prophetic abilities. The doctor actually looks familiar - I think I've seen him around my local Jewville.

You're sure he's Jewish, or are you just going by his surname?

And do you think e-mails are the best way to operate a campus-wide Red Alert lockdown situation? I mean, it might work for the hospital personnel, but not for the visitors hanging out in clinic waiting rooms with the guys with guns and knives (where wait times are high and frustration grows...)

David Cohen? Combined with his photo, his education (University of Rochester), and the sheer number of Jewish doctors at Hopkins, I think it's a fair guess.

I don't think he looks Jewish at all. Just chubby with a bulbous nose. I know some Cohens and Levines that are as WASPY as you can get. But you're probably right about the Jewish probabilities at Hopkins.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Holy **** Wiggin, I had no idea you worked there.
    Glad you're safe.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Tangent for wiggin: why would being a University of Rochester grad mean being Jewish?

I looked it up for fun, didn't realize its connections to Colgate and Eastman (of Eastman Kodak). Or....Azariah Boody!

I don't think Rochester has connections to Colgate...at least Colgate University, that is.

Question: Would installing metal detectors and a whole security shebang for most people coming to visit a hospital help? Or would it ruin the openness of the atmosphere a bit?

The University of Rochester was founded in 1850 as a Baptist-sponsored institution. The impetus to form the university came primarily from the little town of Hamilton, New York, which has been home to Colgate University since 1819.[5] In 1848, the Baptist Education Society planned to move Colgate University (Then known as Madison University) to the city of Rochester, but was halted by legal action. Dissenting Colgate trustees, faculty, and students founded the University of Rochester, receiving a charter from the Regents of the University of the State of New York on January 31, 1850. Classes began that November, with approximately 60 students enrolling, including 28 transfers from Madison.[6]

Rochester is in the state of New York. About 20% of the student population is Jewish. I don't know the stats for the medical school, but I'd bet it's higher.

As for metal detectors, I'm not sure. It would definitely be a pain in the ass and make some people uncomfortable about entering, but there's already security at every entrance so it's not like the place doesn't already feel a little fortified. They also already have hand scanner/wand thingies (though how often they use them is unknown to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Question: Would installing metal detectors and a whole security shebang for most people coming to visit a hospital help? Or would it ruin the openness of the atmosphere a bit?
    Did you mean mental detectors?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

That would be ideal, but a government overreach. And welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    http://www.lib.rochester.edu/index.cfm?PAGE=2308

How the hell is that story so unknown? Anyway, this is a tangent...
    Because most people hear Colgate and think of toothpaste?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Rochester is in the state of New York. About 20% of the student population is Jewish. I don't know the stats for the medical school, but I'd bet it's higher.
    Where did you get that factoid about Rochester? There's a high concentration of Jews in medicine and law in general. But that doesn't mean most docs from Rochester, NY are Jews any more than it means most docs from Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN are Jews.

As for metal detectors, I'm not sure. It would definitely be a pain in the ass and make some people uncomfortable about entering, but there's already security at every entrance so it's not like the place doesn't already feel a little fortified. They also already have hand scanner/wand thingies (though how often they use them is unknown to me).
    Once they realize they're just another university and not any old hospital system, will all teaching hospitals have security like Virginia Tech?

Reform Jewish Magazine does a thing to estimate numbers of Jews at each school - at U of R, the undergrad population is estimated to have about 800 Jews. The U of R Hillel agrees. That's about 20% of the student body. It's obviously a guess about the medical school class, but given its location and the fact that Jews tend to cluster at institutions that already have many of them, it's not a far reach.

But I think this is a useless tangent so that's it for me.

Well, I don't read Reform Jewish Magazine. I'm also not keeping track of where Jews "cluster". You're the one who started this useless tangent about JewishNess, wiggin, and even made a bet with your colleague, so....whatever. I guess it's funny until it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Holy **** Wiggin, I had no idea you worked there.
    Glad you're safe.
    +1. Really happy to hear you're doing well, and that I know someone related to something in the news.