Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So... what happens when you die?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    The essential Saltes of Animals may be so prepared and preserved, that an ingenious Man may have the whole Ark of Noah in his own Studie, and raise the fine Shape of an Animal out of its Ashes at his Pleasure; and by the lyke Method from the essential Saltes of humane Dust, a Philosopher may, without any criminal Necromancy, call up the Shape of any dead Ancestour from the Dust whereinto his Bodie has been incinerated.
    Source?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Source?
    Borellus.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Source?
    Have you really not done this before? I had to summon Aeneas to help me with my Roman civilization class. Apparently, Virgil got it all wrong.
    Your search had no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Borellus.
    Thank you. Have you found The Dusty Library ?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    At some point in the future technology will be developed to recreate people using their remains. Unfortunately we will be used as slave labor in the mines of Terolius IV. I'd recommend cremation to avoid this fate.
    I'm slated for cremation, but not becasue of this. If they can take a decomposed corpse and re-make the human it once was, then they can probably just make humans. Why bother with the corpse?

Also: there is no good and evil balancing its way in a cosmic ballet Across the Universe. Fine movie, btw. There is no order and disorder tiptoeing through the cosmic two lips. There's just the inevitable progression toward disorder. Nature's not in balance. It never was. If your god depends on that, forget it. Find another god.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 01-25-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre View Post
    What do you guys think? I most of you don't believe in 'Heaven' as many Christians do, so what happens?

Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe we just disappear? Do you get on the comet as it's passing? Do the aliends come and get you?

I thought about posting a poll, but I think there's way too many choices for a simple poll.
    If i'm completely honest, i'd like to believe in reincarnation. I'm actually quite petrified of dying and not knowing whats going to happen when the lights are turned off. I don't like the uncertainty. As pathetic as it sounds, i sometimes (not very frequent) have panic attacks in bed when i think about it ...

It was a subject i could think and discuss without a care in the world but that soon changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    If i'm completely honest, i'd like to believe in reincarnation. I'm actually quite petrified of dying and not knowing whats going to happen when the lights are turned off. I don't like the uncertainty. As pathetic as it sounds, i sometimes (not very frequent) have panic attacks in bed when i think about it ...

It was a subject i could think and discuss without a care in the world but that soon changed.
    Yes, reincarnation would be the best. Life would be just like a video game. You can try it over and over until you get really good.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

"Game Over: Please insert coins to continue"

"Game Over: Please insert coins to continue"

Only problem is you don't remember the last game while you're playing the next. How do you refine your strategy?
    The Rules

Button bash.

Alt comedy answer - Tekken claw
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Buy a better memory card?

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Button bash.

Alt comedy answer - Tekken claw
    Woosh.

Buy a better memory card?
    <sigh> You can't.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Woosh.

<sigh> You can't.
    Tell that to Alber ...

Tell that to Alber ...
    I have. Many times. How do you think that went?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I have. Many times. How do you think that went?
    It probably resulted in you pounding your head (or wanting to) against a brick wall.

Thank you. Have you found The Dusty Library ?
    There are several places that host Lovecraft's work but their legal status around the globe is...Iffy. Plus I got the Lovecraft collection some time ago
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    A) Apology for my assumption. When I said these things I thought you realized the law of 'Cause and effect'.
    Why on earth would you say "law of balance" when you actually meant "cause and effect?" How does causality mean that god can't go and ruin Satan's shit?

No it's an observed reality One way of visualising balance.
    No, it fucking isn't. It's just some woo-woo eastern metaphysics.

Yes they do. This thread asks what happens to it's enegy, it's mass, if anything at all.
    HOLLYWOOD SCIENTIST: His energy has to go somewhere!!!!

D)One that is not balanced. One side of equation bigger=bad, nature no like. Try to fix.
    I didn't know nature was capable of having opinions about which side of the equation it likes better, really.

E) it's called evolution, maybe you've heard of it?
    In what way does nature use evolution to "balance" non-biological systems, such as the sun?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Why on earth would you say "law of balance" when you actually meant "cause and effect?" How does causality mean that god can't go and ruin Satan's shit?

No, it fucking isn't. It's just some woo-woo eastern metaphysics.

HOLLYWOOD SCIENTIST: His energy has to go somewhere!!!!

I didn't know nature was capable of having opinions about which side of the equation it likes better, really.

In what way does nature use evolution to "balance" non-biological systems, such as the sun?
    cause and effect is a balancing force. equal and opposite.

woo-woo?
    Your energy can't remain in your body after it's gone, now can it? Maybe it just dissapates into the ether, or oblivion, or whatever.
    No one ever told things like: nature abhors a vacuum? It's like say there's an abundance of food for the deer in a particular forest. The deer poulation rises out of control, eating all vegetation available. In one of natures cruel ironies wolves and starvation bring the deer population down to sustainable levels. It's not by preferrence as you say, but rather by neccesity.
    Stellar objects seem to go through life cycles, the actual mechanics of which I don't understand much. But there are phenomenon which appear relatively new to the universe, perhaps as part of some 'evolutionary' process.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

woo-woo?
    Your energy can't remain in your body after it's gone, now can it? Maybe it just dissapates into the ether, or oblivion, or whatever.
    No one ever told things like: nature abhors a vacuum? It's like say there's an abundance of food for the deer in a particular forest. The deer poulation rises out of control, eating all vegetation available. In one of natures cruel ironies wolves and starvation bring the deer population down to sustainable levels. It's not by preferrence as you say, but rather by neccesity.
    Stellar objects seem to go through life cycles, the actual mechanics of which I don't understand much. But there are phenomenon which appear relatively new to the universe, perhaps as part of some 'evolutionary' process.

don't roll your eyes at me young lady. Nobody knows with certainty what happens, or how, or even why. I'm just giving possible avenues of thought.
    Even though it can be said that there is no order in the universe, thats patently absurd. Without order study in any area would be pointless as there be no baseline for comparison. Just because there is also much (seeming)disorder only proves the possibility of me being correct. Balance between two opposing forces.

don't roll your eyes at me young lady. Nobody knows with certainty what happens, or how, or even why. I'm just giving possible avenues of thought.
    Even though it can be said that there is no order in the universe, thats patently absurd. Without order study in any area would be pointless as there be no baseline for comparison. Just because there is also much (seeming)disorder only proves the possibility of me being correct. Balance between two opposing forces.
    Most of your posts here that we've laughed at have consisted of using words that don't really mean what you seem to think they mean.

It probably resulted in you pounding your head (or wanting to) against a brick wall.
    Yeah, so much so they made it into an emoticon.
    The Rules

what the fuck

Yeah man. INTO THE ETHER.

No one ever told things like: nature abhors a vacuum?
    You may notice that "nature abhors a vacuum" is a completely difference sentence to "nature seeks balance" or whatever bullshit you're trying to sell here.

It's like say there's an abundance of food for the deer in a particular forest. The deer poulation rises out of control, eating all vegetation available. In one of natures cruel ironies wolves and starvation bring the deer population down to sustainable levels. It's not by preferrence as you say, but rather by neccesity.
    Biological systems work that way because of a the fact of finite resources and the laws of thermodynamics, not because of so mystic tendency of all the universe to seek some kind of mystical state of "balance".

I guess we can add the mechanics of evolution to the massive list of topics about which you are entirely ignorant. (Think "competition" and "sexual selection" and how these concepts might apply to stars. Hint: they don't).

I don't understand much
    No fooling.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    what the fuck

Yeah man. INTO THE ETHER.

You may notice that "nature abhors a vacuum" is a completely difference sentence to "nature seeks balance" or whatever bullshit you're trying to sell here.

Biological systems work that way because of a the fact of finite resources and the laws of thermodynamics, not because of so mystic tendency of all the universe to seek some kind of mystical state of "balance".

I guess we can add the mechanics of evolution to the massive list of topics about which you are entirely ignorant. (Think "competition" and "sexual selection" and how these concepts might apply to stars. Hint: they don't).

No fooling.
    <yawn> You're wasting your time.
    The Rules

woo-woo?
    Except when the deer population grows to fast, they go extinct. Or when it grows too slow. It's a fairly one way track., plenty of species go extinct.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Except when the deer population grows to fast, they go extinct. Or when it grows too slow. It's a fairly one way track., plenty of species go extinct.
    Most, actually. I'm sure we will, sooner than later too.
    The Rules

You may notice that "nature abhors a vacuum" is a completely difference sentence to "nature seeks balance" or whatever bullshit you're trying to sell here
    Why does nature abhor a vacuum,hmm? maybe because it's an imbalanced state in relation the rest of nature. How does nature deal with a vacuum? perhaps by filling until it is equal in proportion to the rest of nature, no more no less. imagine a gas cylinder filled to capacity. When the valve is opened, the gas escapes. Why? Because the surrounding atmosphere is analogous to vacuum in relation to the pressurized cylinder. Bonus question: How much of the gas escapes without outside influence (in other words,naturally)? The amount required to equalize the pressure inside to the pressure outside the cylinder (until the pressure is balanced).
    I never claimed there was anything 'mystical' about it. But the less intelligent often fear things they don't know as 'myst'erious and magical. It's just natural science kids.
    Stars and galaxies actually do in some ways compete. Especially galaxies, they'll leach gasses from each other to power themselves. Not saying galaxies are sentient or even conscious. Just anthropomorphizing them for sake of explaination. Some pulsars other stellar objects also exhibit these behaviors.
    Oh, and bacteria (and other single-celled organisms) "evolve" without any sexuallity whatsoever so I'll ignore that.
    Last edited by rumrunner; 01-25-2010 at 10:20 PM.

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    I never claimed there was anything 'mystical' about it. But the less intelligent often fear things they don't know as 'myst'erious and magical. It's just natural science kids.
    Except in the original quote that started this fiasco:

No God can't just defeat Satan. He is bound by the law of balance in all things. That is why he doesn't just appear to the world and say "Blah-blah-blah and all is well". That would allow Satan the same access to our world. Thus they are both forced to use emissaries, the kind of dumbasses who think they understand it all. But don't listen to me, I only have an idea.
    you're trying to take the basic laws of energy transfer renaming it balance and then trying to apply it to beings that, by their definition, are supposed to be able to transcend beyond such laws, which makes no sense.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    you're trying to take the basic laws of energy transfer renaming it balance and then trying to apply it to beings that, by their definition, are supposed to be able to transcend beyond such laws, which makes no sense.
    My very point was that however we've come to define what god is,he is not able to transcend the laws of nature. Whether or not he/she exists, whether or not he/she created anything including the laws of nature, god has to follow them. That may be how I should have worded it in the beginning. As to the laws of enegy transfer, I was speaking generically about specific points of a hypothetical concept. No wonder I sounded crazy. "Specific points of a hypothetical concept"?

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    My very point was that however we've come to define what god is,he is not able to transcend the laws of nature.
    I take it this is just a personal opinion? 'cause pretty much every other follower of abrahamic religion would disagree with you there.

Whether or not he/she exists, whether or not he/she created anything including the laws of nature, god has to follow them.
    And what evidence, in scripture or otherwise, do you have do back up that claim? I'm no biblical expert but the bible certainly seems to showgod disobeying the laws of nature, as well as creating the universe and those laws to begin with so again I'm not sure how you can claim that he might not have.

That may be how I should have worded it in the beginning. As to the laws of enegy transfer, I was speaking generically about specific points of a hypothetical concept. No wonder I sounded crazy. "Specific points of a hypothetical concept"?
    Yeah, see the rest of us were talking specifics not generics as we happen to know something about those laws on energy transfer and what they imply about the universe.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.