Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: So... what happens when you die?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    That's better defined as survival instinct, or even societal cooperation, not necessarily Love.
    We experience it as the very powerful emotion of love. That emotion evolved because it increased the likelihood of the survival of our species. Come on, are you saying "Love" is some sort of entity or phenomenon unto itself, independent of your brain?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    We experience it as the very powerful emotion of love. That emotion evolved because it increased the likelihood of the survival of our species. Come on, are you saying "Love" is some sort of entity or phenomenon unto itself, independent of your brain?
    Probably, maybe, I don't know.

Plenty of people say they're in love, even tho it's probably newness and infatuation and hormones. Others say they love their partner, but don't enjoy their company, or they consider the whole prospect as something to be endured for its longevity.

Even more people define love as a temporary state of mind, more like a pleasure principle, or serial monogamy, convenience, flitting about and moving on. Have a child and it gets more complicated.

There's parent/child love (which is very complicated because it's not just gene pools, but also adoptees and foster care kids) and extended family love (also not always related to gene pools but conscious choice, or it can grow out of tolerance) and platonic love of friendship (which can be so deep you almost want to have sex with your best friend).

Take your pick. What we think is love can also be dysfunctional hope, we see that in abusive relationships. Sometimes the people looking on don't know or understand the underlying depth, love is also supremely intimate.

Sorry this isn't about what happens when you die, and I'm rambling now.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Now before some of you jump down my throat for posting this please note that I'm far from perfect and have many flaws but I try to be loving when possible. Some times things here at home get to me, or ppl can get to me. I just need to relax and rest in this scripture.

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Now before some of you jump down my throat for posting this please note that I'm far from perfect and have many flaws but I try to be loving when possible. Some times things here at home get to me, or ppl can get to me. I just need to relax and rest in this scripture.
    So glad you soothed yourself by typing out the passage that soothes you?

This forum is not for that kind of self gratification Weber.

Everything is going to end with a meaningless whimper of futlility, fuck off. Not flaming, just saying. Everything is going to be fine if you bow before god and blow a priest, fuck off. Not flaming, just saying.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post

Everything is going to end with a meaningless whimper of futlility, fuck off. Not flaming, just saying. Everything is going to be fine if you bow before god and blow a priest, fuck off. Not flaming, just saying.
    I approve of this message. Kinda. Sorta. Mostly.

Who is Weber again? Is this a friend of Timmeh?

They seem to go the same church at least.
    edit: "blowing the priest" bit a go too far?

They seem to go the same church at least.
    edit: "blowing the priest" bit a go too far?
    Not too far, no. In that other place, perhaps. Let's give it to Timmy, he'll eat anything!

Death is the end of life.

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Exactly ... Uh ...So, if there's nothing after-after, what's the harm in enjoying the ride?

Exactly ... Uh ...So, if there's nothing after-after, what's the harm in enjoying the ride?
    There's no harm, it's just difficult sometimes.

The difficulty, the challenge, the struggle, give a purpose to life. Embrace them, for in the end they may be all you have left.

The difficulty, the challenge, the struggle, give a purpose to life. Embrace them, for in the end they may be all you have left.
    Life flashing before you as you die, I wonder if it includes all the fantasies?

Gawd, the oldest members, awake and posting zeitgeist on a Friday night. Time Zones anyone?

Gawd, the oldest members, awake and posting zeitgeist on a Friday night. Time Zones anyone?
    Who are you calling old?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Who are you calling old?
    Myself. I am old enough to be a mother to most of these members. But it's okay. I'm not so old that I don't remember being 13 or 23.

Really I am a 70 year old man posting in my boxer shorts. Hard to believe no one has figured this out yet.

Really I am a 70 year old man posting in my boxer shorts. Hard to believe no one has figured this out yet.
    That's a bit of a let down. I had imagined you being no older than 50.

I find it ridiculous and truly hypocritical that pseudo-science finds belief in an invisible God to be an untenable position. They don't believe because they don't see, yet the very foundation of what they also attest to be scientific truth, they also have never seen. Consider this excerpt from Discover magazine, July 2002:

Black holes are a good lesson about two truths of science. First, a lot of what we swear is scientifically accurate today will be proved wrong within a couple of decades. Second, the advancement of science works so well because it is so willing to be proved wrong. Still, science requires an interesting kind of faith. We're asked to believe that black holes exist, even though no one has ever observed them directly.

Likewise, no one has seen an electron or a quark or a proton or a neutrino. We assume subatomic particles exist based on heaps of experimental evidence, but we don't have instruments sensitive enough to allow us to pick up one of them and stare at it.
    Keyword: directly. There is still plenty of indirect evidence. Incidentally, our instruments may not be capable of seeing subatomic particles, but we were recently able to take a snapshot of molecule.

Turns out to look exactly as scientists predicted. What does that tell you?

The proof of the existence of the invisible God is evident simply by looking around.
    No, it isn't.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Oh ok, so I'm a 45 year old dude posting in my boxer shorts.

Probably, maybe, I don't know.

Plenty of people say they're in love, even tho it's probably newness and infatuation and hormones. Others say they love their partner, but don't enjoy their company, or they consider the whole prospect as something to be endured for its longevity.

Even more people define love as a temporary state of mind, more like a pleasure principle, or serial monogamy, convenience, flitting about and moving on. Have a child and it gets more complicated.

There's parent/child love (which is very complicated because it's not just gene pools, but also adoptees and foster care kids) and extended family love (also not always related to gene pools but conscious choice, or it can grow out of tolerance) and platonic love of friendship (which can be so deep you almost want to have sex with your best friend).

Take your pick. What we think is love can also be dysfunctional hope, we see that in abusive relationships. Sometimes the people looking on don't know or understand the underlying depth, love is also supremely intimate.

Sorry this isn't about what happens when you die, and I'm rambling now.
    Don't apologize to me, I'm happy to discuss.

Anyway, the love I feel for my children and the love I see back from them is astounding; something I never expected or understood before breeding. The love I have for my wife is different, less instinctual and pure, but still very strong. But that feeling I used to get when on a date for the first time, that powerful adolescent mess, that's not love. Thought it was more than once, but, that was just about getting me to breed. Damn evolution.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Huh. Having a bad day or what? If anything, Weber's post is nice from a literature standpoint. You know, like posting shakespeare or something...
    The Rules

You should try to, for sure. I try to, but life isn't always enjoyable and there's not a lot you can do about it. I find I'm most consistently happy when I'm working on something or other that means something to me. It sounds like a cold war slogan but I think people are happiest when they have work to do and they believe that work is towards some meaningful goal. The trick is fooling yourself into thinking something can have meaning.
    The Rules

You should try to, for sure. I try to, but life isn't always enjoyable and there's not a lot you can do about it. I find I'm most consistently happy when I'm working on something or other that means something to me. It sounds like a cold war slogan but I think people are happiest when they have work to do and they believe that work is towards some meaningful goal. The trick is fooling yourself into thinking something can have meaning.
    That's not cold war, that's WW2.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Don't apologize to me, I'm happy to discuss.

Anyway, the love I feel for my children and the love I see back from them is astounding; something I never expected or understood before breeding. The love I have for my wife is different, less instinctual and pure, but still very strong. But that feeling I used to get when on a date for the first time, that powerful adolescent mess, that's not love. Thought it was more than once, but, that was just about getting me to breed. Damn evolution.
    That, I believe, is called infatuation. The rush that comes with it is easily confused with love by those unfamiliar with either.

The Afterlife is a giant fucking internet message board.

I KNOW, RIGHT?

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by aoshi View Post
    The Afterlife is a giant fucking internet message board.

I KNOW, RIGHT?
    So then a new God comes around and trashes the place so you have to find a new afterlife?
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

The Frozen Brain Theory reminded me of Alberjohns! Anyone else remember him?

And the Tree Theory was serendipitous because just today my sister sent me a link to a website that's all about turning dead bodies into compost. Seriously, like the compost we use to grow the plants we eat. It was weird and kinda funny, because she's vegan.

I also had a flashback to childhood bedtime prayers. Now I lay down to sleep, and pray the Lord my soul will keep; if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul will take. Turns out both my folks were either skeptics or agnostics, so what the hell?

ok so I read this mess from the beginning. For my entertainment, Lolli. Sorry for being snarky and rambling then, omg it's embarrassing to read it now.

It was strange but nice to read posts from so long ago, and remembering when Lor, Tear, rumrunner, Ogre, Spawnie, aoshi, Bitter, Choobs and Nessus were so active. The format was different then, but just a reminder that things never really change, just their context?

Anyway, it reminded me why I was drawn to this place in the first place, and why I keep coming back. Nothing is off-limits or out of bounds. And we can ask the same damn questions in multiple ways, without expecting any real answers. It's the exchange of thoughts and ideas that really matters.

No one really dies in the internet age, do they? Their posted thoughts, words, and pictures just get moved around or put into the "cloud". It carries the essence of immortality, and I've been trying to understand what/how I feel about that, especially after Timbuk's death. Also after the controversial Anthony Bourdain movie where his written words were computerized into spoken words, using his own recorded voice (but without his explicit consent).

Something is different now, and distinct from published books or diaries of previous times. This bothers me. I've shared lots of thoughts and experiences on this forum, but I do NOT want my kids to read it all after I'm dead....