Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So... what happens when you die?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default So... what happens when you die?

What do you guys think? I most of you don't believe in 'Heaven' as many Christians do, so what happens?

Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe we just disappear? Do you get on the comet as it's passing? Do the aliends come and get you?

I thought about posting a poll, but I think there's way too many choices for a simple poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

you looking at me? You saying that I did something wrong? Not very nice, I admit, but not at all as bad as I could've been. Yes I forgot Dread was still a moderator. Yes I received a WL from him. Yes I apologized and promised no more nuisance thread bumps. Messing with Timmy's so-called 'groove' was my intent. Childish, sure. Fun, not as much as I hoped. Wrong, nope.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    I'm a Christian, so I believe in Heaven and Hell.

no need for a long post woo
    I enjoy blank walls.

test for nessie
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    test for nessie
    You are a whore
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    You are a whore
    Gee, I've never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    I'm a Christian, so I believe in Heaven and Hell.

no need for a long post woo
    You believe in Hell? What's god like, then? Is he too weak to eradicate Satan? Is he so hateful that he'd imprison a human being's soul in Hell for eternal torture for mistakes they made in life? Is he so unforgiving and without compassion that he'd condemn all of Adam and Eve's descendants to exist as flawed creatures, subject to temptation from Satan and without any direct proof of God's existance, and when they sinned condemn them forever to hell? This is a fucked up god my friend. Very fucked up.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

No God can't just defeat Satan. He is bound by the law of balance in all things. That is why he doesn't just appear to the world and say "Blah-blah-blah and all is well". That would allow Satan the same access to our world. Thus they are both forced to use emissaries, the kind of dumbasses who think they understand it all. But don't listen to me, I only have an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    No God can't just defeat Satan. He is bound by the law of balance in all things. That is why he doesn't just appear to the world and say "Blah-blah-blah and all is well". That would allow Satan the same access to our world. Thus they are both forced to use emissaries, the kind of dumbasses who think they understand it all. But don't listen to me, I only have an idea.
    You have issues. Take out the blue font. It doesn't show up on the shiny dark skin at all.

He is bound by the law of balance in all things.
    Theological problems are so much easier to solve when you can just make vague sounding laws up out of thin air.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    You believe in Hell? What's god like, then? Is he too weak to eradicate Satan? Is he so hateful that he'd imprison a human being's soul in Hell for eternal torture for mistakes they made in life? Is he so unforgiving and without compassion that he'd condemn all of Adam and Eve's descendants to exist as flawed creatures, subject to temptation from Satan and without any direct proof of God's existance, and when they sinned condemn them forever to hell? This is a fucked up god my friend. Very fucked up.
    I lean toward Universal Reconciliation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Reconciliation
    I enjoy blank walls.

Wonderful! I love it. Its a much better belief system than the childish concept of heaven and hell. IMHO there is no salvation avalialbe or necessary. If anything, salvation is something humanity could acheive here in our societies, amongst each other. When there ceases to be have-nots, when there ceases to be warfare between cultures, relgions, ethnicities, when everyone learns to treat each other with a certain minimum of respect, allowing people to live more or less as they choose, then we will have found a kind of real salvation. But there's no apparent god out there demanding and teaching us to do this. Not as far as I can tell.

What this amounts to is our minds, our learning, our ability to choose our behavior, overcoming our instinctual, hard wired tendencies. The duality is animal vs. rational. The gut urge, vs. the thoughtful consideration.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    While I'd love to hope that some remnant of our consciousness will remain when the meat dies, I accept that the evidence so far points to the meat causing the mind, so that oblivion is all that awaits us.

Sometimes this gives me a minor panic attack if I think about it too much.

No God can't just defeat Satan. He is bound by the law of balance in all things.
    Isn't he supposed to be omnipotent and thus bound by no laws?

Supposed to be maybe, but I don't see it as "God the almighty creator of all". Why would the universe seek entropy in the way it does if this were so?

There can't be good without there being bad.

What a bunch of silly nonsense! Might as well worship Athena and Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum View Post
    While I'd love to hope that some remnant of our consciousness will remain when the meat dies, I accept that the evidence so far points to the meat causing the mind, so that oblivion is all that awaits us.
    Yeah, I get that feeling too.

Sometimes this gives me a minor panic attack if I think about it too much.
    I've gotten used to it. Its almost comforting to know your choice isn't between lakes of boiling blood and choirs of celibate angels singing "alaleuia" over and over again. Horrible.

Isn't he supposed to be omnipotent and thus bound by no laws?
    Perfect, infinitely loving and compassionate, all powerful, all knowing. Yeah, god can't defeat satan and it can't even tell us about itself. Right.

Supposed to be maybe, but I don't see it as "God the almighty creator of all". Why would the universe seek entropy in the way it does if this were so?
    So god's not the creator of the universe??? It's just our little human god? What IS the creator of the universe? God's god? Maybe you should worsip that one instead. Less fickle, more powerful. Maybe it can get rid of Satan for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPointer View Post
    There can't be good without there being bad.
    That's a bunch of crap. Guess what? There's no Good and there's no Bad, not in a cosmic, flows from God/Satan sense. Good is whatever satisfies our physical and cultural requirements for goodness and evil is what satisfies similar requirements for badness. Example - starvation is bad. Making people starve is really bad. Starving pregnant women and children is the worst. All of this flows from biological imperatives and our instinctual and cultural rules that have evolved with our species. Not Satan.
    The Rules

Uhm... are you serious?

Uhm... are you serious?
    Very much so. Are you?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Of course. Do you think I say shit I don't mean? I'm not saying balance exists everywhere, but where it doesn't exist chaos emerges. Now you're going point out that the chaos balances the order?

Vague? the concept of balance is prevalent in everything we experience. supply and demand; give and take; predator and prey, the list goes on. It's like yin-yang, not at all "made up out of thin air". If a system is not in balance it degrades, falls apart, and dies. Nature won't allow it to continue in an unstable state. In fact, nature occassionally injects a new variable to balance the system, or modifies the system itself in order to restore it to a balanced state. So, I don't think I've made anything up out of thin air. If there indeed is a god, and he created everything, it is through this law that he accomplished it.
    This is not even remotely true when looking at the Universe around us
    Uhm... are you serious?
    Very much so. Are you?
    Of course. Do you think I say shit I don't mean? I'm not saying balance exists everywhere, but where it doesn't exist chaos emerges. Now you're going point out that the chaos balances the order?
    Balance doesn't exist anywhere for any length of time. Look around you. Read a history book. Take a biology or physics class. Nothing is in balance for very long, if ever. Such things are illusion or hope sprung from short-sighted and ignorant human minds.
    The Rules

What do you even mean with the terms chaos and balance?

What do you even mean with the terms chaos and balance?
    Order is predictable and balanced/countered by forces that act contrary to their normal behaviors, or Chaotically.
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    Balance doesn't exist anywhere for any length of time. Look around you. Read a history book. Take a biology or physics class. Nothing is in balance for very long, if ever. Such things are illusion or hope sprung from short-sighted and ignorant human minds.
    replace 'balance' in that statement with 'order' and I'd agree. Neither order nor chaos exist in system for long. The constant flux is the balance I refer to.
    Last edited by rumrunner; 01-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Order is predictable and balanced/countered by forces that act contrary to their normal behaviors, or Chaotically.

That's circular reasoning at its finest. Or what would you call "normal" behaviour other than "ordered" behaviour?

That's circular reasoning at its finest. Or what would you call "normal" behaviour other than "ordered" behaviour?
    Me? I'd called it boring and stagnating. Circular indeed, on that we agree. Everything spins.

Me? I'd called it boring and stagnating. Circular indeed, on that we agree. Everything spins.
    No. It doesn't.
    The Rules

replace 'balance' in that statement with 'order' and I'd agree. Neither order nor chaos exist in system for long. The constant flux is the balance I refer to.

There is no BALANCE! Everything is becoming something else, changing linearly, not oscillating from one extreme to another. The universe is the simplest example. It went BOOM and has been cooling and expanding ever since. It will eventually cool to the point that molecular motion stops and everything will be cold and dark forever. That's it. No fucking balance, no return to whateverthe fuck. The Earth is like that too. It went from a fiery hell hole to a much ocean world with living scum for three billion years before some how by some accident multi-cellular organisms appeared. That wasn't some orderly thing back and forth, it was linear. And it will continue. There is no cycle, no bouncing from one to the other. That's a fantasy.
    The Rules

There is no BALANCE! Everything is becoming something else, changing linearly, not oscillating from one extreme to another. The universe is the simplest example. It went BOOM and has been cooling and expanding ever since. It will eventually cool to the point that molecular motion stops and everything will be cold and dark forever. That's it. No fucking balance, no return to whateverthe fuck. The Earth is like that too. It went from a fiery hell hole to a much ocean world with living scum for three billion years before some how by some accident multi-cellular organisms appeared. That wasn't some orderly thing back and forth, it was linear. And it will continue. There is no cycle, no bouncing from one to the other. That's a fantasy.
    Please do not presume to lecture to me about cosmology. Changing linearly, is it? Is it really?

Yeah well, you're using an undefined system to reach that conclusion.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

For somebody who became the world's biggest drama queen when challenged about your trophy house conspicuous consumption, you sure are comfortable attacking something that is near and dear to somebody's sense of self: their religion. Maybe you want to re-think that hypocrisy, eh?

Everything spins, it's a fact. throughout the universe, everything spins.