Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So... what happens when you die?

Default So... what happens when you die?

What do you guys think? I most of you don't believe in 'Heaven' as many Christians do, so what happens?

Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe we just disappear? Do you get on the comet as it's passing? Do the aliends come and get you?

I thought about posting a poll, but I think there's way too many choices for a simple poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

Default Re: So... what happens when you die?

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOgre
    What do you guys think? I most of you don't believe in 'Heaven' as many Christians do, so what happens?

Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe we just disappear? Do you get on the comet as it's passing? Do the aliends come and get you?

I thought about posting a poll, but I think there's way too many choices for a simple poll.
    I have no idea really, and I don't believe people who say they do.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    I have no idea really, and I don't believe people who say they do.
    People who admit they have no idea, or that what they believe is still in the 'idea-stage' are the ones you can listen to. The ones who say they have all the answers are dangerous.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

WYD v 2?

One thing I've learned over the years---when people ask that question they're not so much concerned about life after death, but life while it's being lived, or death as we're dying. All things on the edges, beginnings to ends.

It encompasses everything from philosophy to religion to culture to family dynamics. From abortion to suicide to hospice care, babies to teens to elderly, and all things in between. Including War and Battle.

It can be a lonely and morose topic, a moving target, but one we'll all face. We talk about it more than our ancestors did. We live longer but don't seem to have a clue about Death. Even that has theories and studies attached.

Death to most people here means watching news videos, or reading poems. Clean and abstract, no scents or tactile connection. It doesn't seem real, because it's never been in their reality.

Decomposition, unless you're cremated.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    ...or killed by cannibals. Donner dinner so to speak.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Ground into paste for hot-dogs and bologna. Maybe thats just in New Jersey.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Humor is the first line of defense when the wrapper has a hole.

Soylent green wafers...yummm.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    That comes AFTER you die. What happens WHEN you die? Or WHILE you are dying?

hmmm?

What happens while you're dying depends upon what you die of. But what happens when
    you die is either decomposition or cremation. Steely is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade
    What happens while you're dying depends upon what you die of. But what happens when
    Right, because dead people don't ever get eaten.

Oh for fucks sake. This is the best you could do? Jesus!

#1. A simple poll can be done and was done nicely. It's not that complicated.

#2. All you cannibal and carrion fans, I think the author's referring to what happens to your conscious self, not your corpse. It can only be one of a few possibilities:

a. You go to one of several types of afterlife, loosely grouped as happy, sad, or neutral/mixed.

b. You get reincarnated in one of a variety of ways. It could be sequential in time, some future or past time, in a similar place or far away, even so far as cosmic distances, and lastly in another human form, so other intelligent being or even as an animal. In the end though, its all reincarnation.

c. You wake up confused and then whoop! "Damn, that was a hell of a game!" Or something like that anyway.

d. Oblivion.

Not sure what else there could be. Doe all the different permuations of A and B matter? And does C even count? Presumably if this life is a simulation, then actual reality would involve death eventually.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

you either:

go to heaven
    go to hell
    become earthbound for whatever reason
    become a mass of nothingness in pitch blackness/cease to live and exist

Get served as soup to all my closest friends.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade
    Gee, I didn't think this, of all topics, would be about Right or Wrong.

But let's try this angle.

ACC is dead, but some keep posting in it, for whatever reason they won't let it go. Some may want to play a sarcasm or dry humor game as a way to deal with their loss or grief. Or is it a subconscious game against a power they can't control?

Timmy wants to keep the dying thing alive, with strings attached. He is earnest, even in his wayward hopefulness. He figures that siding with the admins might turn his approach from helplessness into empowerment.

Whether you admit it or not, transitions are forms of death (and birth). Deaths have grievance patterns and stages. It's not just Change as a phenomenon, but the Emotions attached.

Why is this so hard to see? The reason (in analogy) that members had such a hard time with the Sudden Death of ACC was how it was handled. We were not edged or eased into the death, or given any explanation, or time to absorb it, but instead we were expected to accept its fast and incoherent demise. Boom, cremation, and soldering embers.

At least we have this place to hold hands and move ahead. In real life, and real death, it's not so easy.

Or maybe I'm just trying to get a little amusement out of it while it burns slowly?

If you're going to bitch about me, at least say my name.

Nothing happens.
    You simply cease to be.

You don't "disappear" though.
    You power plant stops, and you cease to be.

Funny thing happened at the funeral home when we were picking the casket and stuff for my mom...
    The guy was trying to sell me the expensive "vault" or whatever they put the casket in. You know, the hermetically sealed last forever vault. I asked for the cheapest the could do. He asked me if I was sure.
    I said "yes I am sure, it's not like we are going to dig her up in five years and invite her to dinner."
    He said "you never know."

My godmother and sister giggled very quietly. My grandmother was appalled.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT

At least we have this place to hold hands and move ahead. In real life, and real death, it's not so easy.
    It actually can be easy if you can accept the loss and move on. A lot of people can't though. It puzzles me.

Gee, I didn't think this, of all topics, would be about Right or Wrong.
    They're bending over backwards to show they are so atheist the idea of what happens to your mind just never occurred to them. Kids.

ACC is dead, but some keep posting in it, for whatever reason they won't let it go. Some may want to play a sarcasm or dry humor game as a way to deal with their loss or grief. Or is it a subconscious game against a power they can't control?
    This isn't analagous to the death of a human at all. And I may be mistaken but I think you're talking here about survivor grief, not the experience of the dead entity itself.

Whether you admit it or not, transitions are forms of death (and birth). Deaths have grievance patterns and stages. It's not just Change as a phenomenon, but the Emotions attached.
    Only in the most crude and mythological sense. For the mind, death is the end. Done. There is no "look, now I'm one with the worms, now the birds, now the cat, blah blah blah." Matter gets recycled certainly, but not the mind.

Furthermore, everything that was part of CC is still extant. Most of its here, doing better than what they've done in CC for years. This isnt death, it's re-birth. And real human death isn't like that at all -- maybe for the survivors but not the deceased.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    Or maybe I'm just trying to get a little amusement out of it while it burns slowly?

Sure thing, loki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

You are far too self-centered. I was mostly thinking of Ominous Gamer and Rumrunner and that youngmage person.

But now that you mention it, what "amusement" do you get out of dragging out the death of ACC and possibly getting Dread into trouble for not giving you WL for sexual content?

Say it in public and not in PM.

Sure thing, loki.
    Reported: Double post.

You are far too self-centered. I was mostly thinking of Ominous Gamer and Rumrunner and that youngmage person.

But now that you mention it, what "amusement" do you get out of dragging out the death of ACC and possibly getting Dread into trouble for not giving you WL for sexual content?

Say it in public and not in PM.
    I have no trouble with saying it public, and if Dread had a problem with it all he had to do was say stop, and I would have instantly. Still would, even. But since he has not, and I have not crossed any lines at all, what the hell is the problem? Can I assume then that you also sent OG and Rumrunner PMs asking them what they were thinking?

I'm terribly sorry you can't see the humor in what the CC has become. I was actually growing rather bored with playing and about to give up, but there is no way in hell I'm going to give you the satisfaction of thinking you convinced me with your self-righteous nonsense.

As irrelevant as it seems, can someone explain to me how the brain and consciousness works? I'm proubably wrong, but could there ever be a possibilty of conscious radiation sort of like a soul? I don't neccisarily think a god has to exist for this to happen if it could happen at all...
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897
    As irrelevant as it seems, can someone explain to me how the brain and consciousness works? I'm proubably wrong, but could there ever be a possibilty of conscious radiation sort of like a soul? I don't neccisarily think a god has to exist for this to happen if it could happen at all...
    Ask the Scientologists among us about Thetans.

I actually live near the scientologist headquarters :lol:
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

There used to be one of those weird testing things at a place where I liked to hang out with my friends. One did it, and was never the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    Furthermore, everything that was part of CC is still extant. Most of its here, doing better than what they've done in CC for years. This isnt death, it's re-birth. And real human death isn't like that at all -- maybe for the survivors but not the deceased.
    You notice I did say Death and Birth.

Real Human Death IS about the survivors. Up until that moment we take our last breath, we probably think of ourselves as among the Living. And living people do appreciate a hand to hold, or some other warmth of living, even as we are dying. Whether it's a cat or dog laying with us in our death bed, a nurse or caregiver, or other people trapped in a collapsed building along with us.....most of us would say we don't want to die alone.

What does family say to lessen the pain of their loss? Well, at least s/he did not die alone. Even if we couldn't be there to hold their hand or say I Love You, they did not die alone.

That's an emotion the living and the dying share; the ones who have to keep living after their loved one died think, I couldn't be there with them, but at least they weren't alone

It's one of the most elegant emotions we have as humans.

Great. Here is your assignment should you choose to accept it. Go there and ask them to identify your Thetan.

I have no trouble with saying it public, and if Dread had a problem with it all he had to do was say stop, and I would have instantly. Still would, even. But since he has not, and I have not crossed any lines at all, what the hell is the problem? Can I assume then that you also sent OG and Rumrunner PMs asking them what they were thinking?

I'm terribly sorry you can't see the humor in what the CC has become. I was actually growing rather bored with playing and about to give up, but there is no way in hell I'm going to give you the satisfaction of thinking you convinced me with your self-righteous nonsense.
    What? No, I've not PMed anyone about that ACC mess besides you.

You need Dread to tell you when it's time to stop the drama for drama's sake?

But if you think of this as some kind of game, and I'm the bad guy with self-righteous nonsense, then knock yourself out. After all, your boredom level matters most of all.