Page 99 of 138 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 4139

Thread: The pictures thread

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar

When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So..ummm...er...the Republican party must be monolithic and all agree on all the planks? So that then they can be made fun of for being single minded?

Sounds like the creator of the pic needs to take their own advice
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I knew if I didn't add that disclosure I was going to help someone's post count

Slang for crazy. That would be awesome if it were true. Well, it might be true but I'm too lazy to spend time finding out.

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    What's 'cray'?
    its a typo, 99% of these facebook quotes are fake. there are sites that allow you to change just about any aspect of a post so you can screenshot, and help something go viral

I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Click to view the full version

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I haven't watched The Simpsons in years, but I found that montage strangely emotional.

I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Are any of these numbers true?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Are any of these numbers true?
    Sorta. The US military has about 1.5 million active duty troops, and another 1.5 million reservists. So of current active duty troops, that does work out to approximately 0.5%. However, of total Americans who have at some point served in the military, the number is quite a bit higher. For most of the 20th century it was a significant portion (perhaps a majority?) of the adult male population, though I imagine it's a bit lower now that WWII veterans are mostly dead or dying. As the veterans from other draft-based wars (albeit smaller ones) such as Vietnam and Korea die off, it will probably decrease to a much smaller percentage of the population (10% at most?).

Furthermore, I find it incredibly unlikely that only 1% of active duty troops see combat. That would work out to only 15k troops; depending on your definition of combat, that's highly unlikely given our deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan over the last decade. Even if you mean 'fired upon or who fire their weapons in a non-training situation' I would imagine it would be closer to hundreds of thousands, though I don't have hard data on that.

In terms of suicides, I've seen stats that are roughly comparable to high teens of suicide per day for veterans. If we're comparing apples to apples, of course, there's about one suicide among active duty troops every day. That works out to approximately 25 suicides per 100k population per year, well above the US average of about 12. But if you restrict it to young males, I would imagine the numbers would be closer (the US average for males of all ages is about 19). The suicide rate for veterans is supposed to be substantially higher than average for the US as well; unsurprising given the rates of TBIs and PTSD among veterans and active duty soldiers alike.

Ah, the famous Scout Sniper flag. Good at shooting people, not so good at PR.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Ah, the famous Scout Sniper flag. Good at shooting people, not so good at PR.
    Maybe they just wanted Hugo Boss uniforms?

See, I had no idea about Hugo Boss' role in supplying SS uniforms et al until you mentioned it. Seems like they're not too repentant about it either. Good thing I'm way too cheap to buy their clothes anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    See, I had no idea about Hugo Boss' role in supplying SS uniforms et al until you mentioned it. Seems like they're not too repentant about it either. Good thing I'm way too cheap to buy their clothes anyways.
    A Sturmbannführer SS put a US man on the moon. It's not easy being a "moral" man!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Fun fact, the RNC is being held within a week of the peak of hurricane season
    Isaac motherfuckers. Hurricane Isaac.

Next week is going to be very interesting.