Thread: Wheel of Time season 2 trailer

Default Wheel of Time season 2 trailer

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm really surprised people call it woke. I see they made some changes, but if it is woke, the books already were as well.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'm really surprised people call it woke. I see they made some changes, but if it is woke, the books already were as well.
    They were, to an extent. Both the books and RJ himself were uncommonly progressive in several respects—esp. given that he was an old white Southern army vet writing in a notoriously, shall we say "not woke" genre. This can be seen in eg. his deliberate decisions to subvert gender roles (in myriad ways) and ethnic stereotypes, as well as the treatment of eg. homosexuality. That being said, he was also a horndog, and there were obv other issues where the books were very much a product of their time. But people are mad that the woke mafia altered the most important thing about Jordan's world, the very core of the WoT story—namely, the limited genetic diversity of the Two Rivers.

The show has been very deliberate about more-or-less race-neutral casting and avoiding gratuitious sexualization of women though. Don't think there will be much nude spanking in the show.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I read the books and never did I ever have the idea that the ethnicity of the Emondsfielders was that clear cut. Actually the whole of Andor was a bit non-descript in that way. Unlike all the other nations that had a specific flavor. The only thing I actively remember is that Rand had some traits of one of those other people's.

Emondsfielders in the series to me came accross as a credible group of mixed race people. But how da fog did their ethnicity become a core of the WOT story? They were living in the ruins of a society that could barely have known any such lines of demarcation.

I never got any gay vibes from the books and the pillow sisters thing was so veiled that even when it was pointed out to me it felt more like a reluctance to include homosexuality than actually being inclusive. And yeah, the times we could feast on the description of female's breasts were many more than I could appreciate.
    Congratulations America

Oh yes, they certainly were, at least by the standards of what the anti-woke crowd considers "woke" to be.

I read the books and never did I ever have the idea that the ethnicity of the Emondsfielders was that clear cut. Actually the whole of Andor was a bit non-descript in that way.
    I would agree, A standard set by there not being anything the least unlike about Rand (who we are frequently later told is the very image of an Aiel-man except for his hair) to or among any of them. But I think that very silence ultimately becomes the heart of it. Since it was not described as otherwise, they were free to fit their own vision there. And now they are betrayed because it's not matching what they chose to imagine any undescribed distant rural farming area would look like
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Generally the ethnic diversity isn't the reason people who watched it soured to it. The whole "who is the Dragon" and all its stupid red herrings were quite painful. The unnecessary changes began piling up for nonsensical reasons that made the story go to the shitter. Perrin and a wife? Why? The Horn is under Agelmar's chair? Why? The actual Tarwin Gap battle being stupid, the lack of Rand saving the day at Tarwin's Gap... the absurdity of Nyneave being stronger than Logaine... gaaaah. I gave it an honest go but by the end of the first season it was just fked beyond all recognition. I imagine non-book readers were decently entertained by pretty visuals. There were some nice scenes but why is it so damn hard to make an adaption without all this shit? With screen time already so precious why add details that no one asked for? Perrin's wife? WHY?

I doubt that this series was made to please the readers. It was ended too long ago for it to be that. I am not going to claim all changes were good, but some were ok in the framework of the series. As a series it was a thousand times more enjoyable than 'Rings of Power'. I can't shake off the feeling that the shit that malfeasance deserved got misdirected towards WoT.
    Congratulations America