Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: it's finally happened: minxdroid

nook now running at 1.3GHz, no overheating or instability. soon with latest linux kernel

how're you doing with your phone tim?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Loving it.

Stunning screen. HTC Sense is quick and responsive. Easy to use.

I like the homescreen set up.

Everything is completely customiseable.

Battery life is a bit meh, but to be expected. With heavy internet use I'll recharge every day. Otherwise it's every other day.

Been taking many pics with the camera, and for the most part they're pretty good, despite my photographic ineptitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Nook Color + ScummVM + Curse of Monkey Island =

I finally decided to root my nook color properly tonight. I had messed around with running android off an sd card a couple of times, but it was kind of unwieldy. Anyway, it was easy to do, still have all the features I liked.

I'm pleased so far.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

So I've thought of rooting my HTC Desire. From what I've heard Oxygen is the best ROM you can get. I'll install ADW Launcher on top of it as I'm attracted by the looks (I originally wanted Cyanogen Mod 7, but have heard some shady things about it and was then told that I can get the same look with Oxygen. Correct?). All I want to keep is essentially my photos and my music. Apps are insignificant. So how do I go about doing back-ups, in case something goes wrong? And how is the install procedure?
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Loving it.

Stunning screen. HTC Sense is quick and responsive. Easy to use.

I like the homescreen set up.

Everything is completely customiseable.

Battery life is a bit meh, but to be expected. With heavy internet use I'll recharge every day. Otherwise it's every other day.

Been taking many pics with the camera, and for the most part they're pretty good, despite my photographic ineptitude.
    Now get it to run Oxygen. My battery life suddenly became way better, and the performance of the phone too! It's as swift as an iPhone 4 now, which is incredible.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Must-have apps?

On the phone:

- AdFree
    - CallConfirm
    - CamScanner
    - DialerOne
    - DropBox
    - ezPDF
    - Opera or Maxthon
    - MemoWidget
    - Moon+ Reader and Aldiko Reader
    - MortPlayer
    - ROM Manager
    - Root Explorer
    - SD Speed Boost
    - SHAZAM!!
    - StudyDroid
    - SuperUser
    - SwiftkeyX
    - Titanium Backup
    - Wallpaper Wizardrii (only way I can use my gorgeous wallpaper)
    - WordFeud *ahem*
    - Youtube

I'll finally try ICS today! Wish me the best of luck!

... and they never saw him again...

Meanwhile, webOS, crippled and sad though it may be, is charming my pants off

It actually works brilliantly. Pictures coming up soon!

holy crap... ICS on the touchpad is incredible... at last, back to a tablet OS!

So, the ginger's iPhone got borked a while back and she finally got sick of it and decided to replace it with some second-hand android phone. I was lucky enough to get a white HTC One X in very good condition for cheap. The guy was also selling a Galaxy Nexus and the ginger was initially keen on getting that one instead. I had no real intention of getting a new phone but somehow came home with both (probably because I'd been drooling over the HOX for a long time even though I didn't want to pay for it). After a couple of minutes of handling, the ginger decided that, no, she def. wanted the HOX. I could grok that. Without the clunky lock and cable you have on phones at stores, the phone just felt so ridiculously good in the hand, in spite of its giant size. The screen... is truly amazing. I can't get over how great the screen looks, even though I already knew that it was amazing. Having spent a bit more time with the new Sense I can say that it's a pretty good UI for anyone new to android.

What really surprised me is how much I'm enjoying the Galaxy Nexus. I didn't expect to enjoy a giganto samsung phone this much but, apart from the slightly annoying placements of the power button and volume rocker, it handles really well and is a pleasure to use. I think I'll keep it unless someone just hands me a really nice HOX or similar

I'm 18 months into my Galaxy Nexus and still liking it. I was also fine with the size and handling.

Anyone here using the android app WD2go, for using with western digital network drives? I can connect fine to my network drive at home, while I'm somewhere else, and I can download files from it to my phone. However.. when it is downloaded, I can browse to it and open it, but if I search for the filename it won't find it. When I connect my phone to my laptop with the USB cable, and I browse the files on my phone, every single file and folder shows up except the ones I got from my network drive. Which is odd, if you ask me. Then, if I move the file to another folder, I suddenly can find the files if I search for them, and i can find them from my laptop.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    slightly annoying placements of the power button and volume rocker

Annoying indeed. After getting used to HTC's sensible power button at the top and volume buttons on the side, the Galaxy S4's placement of the buttons on opposite sides, I now constantly change the volume when meaning to switch off, or switch off when wanting to change volume. Considering these designs are all about ergonomics, this is a significant fuck up in my books.

Otherwise, it is a tip-top phone.

If I hadn't experienced the ridiculous screen and build of the HOX I'd be even more pleased

I couldn't wait, installed a custom ROM and am enjoying the phone even more now rock solid hybrid of the most popular ROMs out there. Very useful customisation options

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Anyone here using the android app WD2go, for using with western digital network drives? I can connect fine to my network drive at home, while I'm somewhere else, and I can download files from it to my phone. However.. when it is downloaded, I can browse to it and open it, but if I search for the filename it won't find it. When I connect my phone to my laptop with the USB cable, and I browse the files on my phone, every single file and folder shows up except the ones I got from my network drive. Which is odd, if you ask me. Then, if I move the file to another folder, I suddenly can find the files if I search for them, and i can find them from my laptop.
    I haven't, but have generally understood that the apps that come with hard drives tend to be terrible and possibly filled with Chinese spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Annoying indeed. After getting used to HTC's sensible power button at the top and volume buttons on the side, the Galaxy S4's placement of the buttons on opposite sides, I now constantly change the volume when meaning to switch off, or switch off when wanting to change volume. Considering these designs are all about ergonomics, this is a significant fuck up in my books.

Otherwise, it is a tip-top phone.
    I actually like the button on the side, as it's a pain to reach to the top and hit the power button when I want to turn-on the screen (though maybe it's just because I let mine dim/turn off after 2 minutes or something).

My only beef is the headphone jack on the bottom. That I actually want at the top, as it's hard to balance something on an exercise machine with a headphone line coming out the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I haven't, but have generally understood that the apps that come with hard drives tend to be terrible and possibly filled with Chinese spyware.
    It's not Eastern Digital

I'm still happy with my Xperia Z by the way - gotten used to the size (big for my taste), the screen is nice, it's fast, it's definitely waterproof (tried it ), only downside is that the screen seems to scratch a lot easier than my previous Samsungs. And it has headphone jack at the top You are aware you can simply turn it around, right?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

only suggestion I have is try to find a setting for indexing options on the app or phone.

Have you tried transferring a file, then restarting the phone? To see if a cold boot forces it to index whats taking up space.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The hassle of upgrading from an aftermarket Lollipop ROM to a Nougat one was finally outweighed by the hassle that came with not doing so. This weekend I took the plunge and, after a surprisingly long but also surprisingly simple process, I came out the other side of the software upgrade hell-gauntlet with a strange new phone experience. It's bizarre. I've restored more or less everything but I still have 3-4 gigs more free space left over after the upgrade. Everything works better. Battery life, which had been so abysmal for the past few weeks that I was beginning to think the battery'd crapped out again, is back to normal. I dislike many of the design choices made by the ROM-developers--and hate some of the choices made by Android's developers eg. to disable the ability to choose wifi band manually--but overall I'm grateful people are still showing the Nexus 5 so much love :happy:

Damn you're getting a lot of life out of this! Is it possible to replace the battery outright?

I did it once but I think I got away with it all right it's very easy to replace and new original batteries are widely available I don't play mobile games so I don't really notice any performance issues.

I finally made the decision to switch, after a strange accident that made me lose all text messages from the last 5 months. Currently familiarizing myself with a used Moto X Style (aka. Pure). It's very nice, but the size difference is going to take some time to get used to and I may end up choosing a smaller phone yet, perhaps even returning to my old Nexus 5. Nevertheless, it feels great in the hand and the hardware is, overall, very much to my liking. Motorola's software is genuinely useful, but they've delayed the Nougat update so I switched to a custom ROM. Planning on switching to stock soon.

Does it at least come with a new battery?

My Nexus 5X died due to a motherboard whatsdat. Fortunately all my data besides text messages are backed up. I used my MotoX as a backup for a few weeks, but it was just too damn slow on boot and the camera quality was no longer capturing snot on children's noses as I got with my 5X. Splurged on a Pixel because I need those snot pics.