Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: it's finally happened: minxdroid

Default it's finally happened: minxdroid

First thoughts: I won't be writing any essays on this

I need more.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

In the midnight hour babe

More, more, more
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

with a rebel yell, she cries
    more more mor-ew-ore
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Google doesn't know it, so it doesn't exists.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    First thoughts: I won't be writing any essays on this
    You gots an Android phone?

Yessir! Getting acquainted with the HTC desire very pleased with the phone itself so far but less pleased with google's decision to block paid apps for Swedish users got the damned thing mostly with those paid apps in mind, hope it gets resolved soon

Became much easier to type with some changes including actually holding the phone in landscape mode... durrr
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I don't think it's an active decision as much as a pending business reality.

From a post on a message board at code.google.com (someone filed a bug saying they couldn't access the Market):

I'll add something constructive to this thread.

There are several issues being reported here.

1) Some countries do not have access to paid apps (and some apps are not released in
    certain countries, eg market is not on everyone's phone)
    2) Some mobile providers block paid app access (eg, optus/virgin in Australia)
    3) Paid apps are not available without a sim card in the phone

it may be that 1 and 2 are related, but i think google may possibly block the market
    in some countries, as opposed to there just being no providers in the country
    supporting android. There must be some laws that prevent the market from being
    released in its current form in some countries.

The reason for this "bug" is that mobile providers get a share of profits from paid
    apps. Some want more profit than google want to give, others just don't want to sign
    an agreement with google.

In the current setup, this issue is completely out of google's control. I don't know
    what the reason is for giving carriers profits, but there must be some reason why it
    is done. Perhaps one day google can get rid of this neccessity, but currently the
    blame for these issues falls squarely on the mobile providers blocking paid apps.

If you want to fix this issue on your phone, market enabler is your only option
    unless your provider will listen to your complaints and activate paid apps on their
    network

Again, please just "star" this thread rather than replying to show your support,
    unless you have something useful to add!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3380
    Android being open source, you could always just hack it. Google Checkout works there, so there is no technical reason you can't buy apps. It sounds like an issue of the carriers holding up the market.

If I may ask, which paid apps did you have in mind?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I don't think it's an active decision as much as a pending business reality.

From a post on a message board at code.google.com (someone filed a bug saying they couldn't access the Market):

Android being open source, you could always just hack it. Google Checkout works there, so there is no technical reason you can't buy apps. It sounds like an issue of the carriers holding up the market.
    Good to have some explanations, and I hope they all get their acts together soon I'm hesitant to fiddle with the OS right now, not sure what the rules are atm

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    If I may ask, which paid apps did you have in mind?
    Tons and tons... have them all filed away somewhere. Swype, locale, a host of medical apps (eg. Medicine Review )...meh, will have to manage without for a while I guess. There are plenty of very useful free apps to keep me busy in the meantime. Flash-card mayhem

Comatose. Prostrate. Cerebellum.
    The Rules

I'd like to see a side-by-side review of the iPhuk4 and a decent 'droid phone, such as the Desire.

The interface on the HTC I've seen wasn't as slick as the iPhone, but that is only one aspect. I've not played with either to any great extent.

Upgrade time is approaching soonish, and now that Apple are selling the iPhone on networks here other than O2, I can get one on Vodafone which is what I need. Droid handsets are selling well though ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

so today I got the slideit app and it makes typing ridiculously easy and fast software keys are just not very good for one- handed typing and apps such as slideit and swype offer much-needed enhancements for typing on touch-screens. it's like regular writing on a phone vs using t9. naturally there are some problems but overall I'm very pleased this post was written using slideit!

Just a phone.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

There's a nicotine app

I have other characteristics
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Did I mention it's really old?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I have other characteristics
    Davide Bowie Fanboy App?
    The Rules

Hey-hey-hey!

Based on my fiddling experience with it thus far, you definitely made the right choice. The hardware is powerful enough to drive the OS, the size is nice and the price tag even nicer. The next generation mostly raises the claim with a better display - I find the Desire one to be splendid as it is. Having Android is what counts. Only bummer is battery. Hardly lasts a day even, sigh.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

The Desire looks a lot like the Nexus One I got earlier this year. I'm guessing the batteries and basic power consumption must be the same. But I get 1.5 - 2 full days if I turn 3G off.

Have you ever used the diagnostic to see which services are sucking up the most battery life? I'm eternally suspicious of the HTC Sense interface. I appreciate that the Samsung Galaxy at least keeps the stock Android UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuha Vinland View Post
    Hey-hey-hey!
    Hardly lasts a day even, sigh.
    I get at least 2 days. Well I turn off all connections (3G, WiFi ect) when I don't need them.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I get ~1.5 days with 3G on, but only regularly checking email and maybe facebook once in a while. If I am abroad and have no internet, it lasts for ~4 days or so. (samsung galaxy s)
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I'm pretty sure I could extend battery life a great deal by rooting it and installing a good custom ROM and setCPU, but I haven't yet worked up the courage to do so. I wonder if flash is the battery killer I suspect it is, should find out

The haptic feedback is probably not very battery-friendly either, but I like it a lot.

I wonder if I should get a slide app for writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I get ~1.5 days with 3G on, but only regularly checking email and maybe facebook once in a while. If I am abroad and have no internet, it lasts for ~4 days or so. (samsung galaxy s)
    That's about what I get with my Nexus. I think a big battery saver is using the browser for e-mail and not using apps. I basically don't use many apps, I do most things in the browser with the occasional Maps and Camera usage. Maybe a game or book here and there.

The battery is at 30% after 18 hours of use. 26% standby, 26% Wi-Fi, 22% phone idle, 19% Android system (and HTC Sense?), 5% display, 2% dialer.

I find those to be quite high numbers for when the phone is this little in use. It should at least manage 2 days with light usage. =/
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

This is interesting. It must be the damn HTC Sense. Here are my proportions on my Nexus One:

39% display
    24% cell standby
    22% phone idle
    8% browser
    4% Android system
    2% Android OS

19% for the system probably means that damn Sense interface is just sucking down power somehow.

hmmm

104h uptime, 6.5h awake time, 6.5h since unplugged... android system 6% use. Rather than sense itself it may be that some of the app that come with sense drain the battery through unnecessarily eager syncing. turn off background data and remove those apps from your sync list, should be a little better

I use Launcher Pro, some of the sense apps still load, but they don't really do much.

http://myhtcdesire.com/tutorials/how...ation-tutorial

anyone have any idea why this may work?